eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Banner Ad On One Of My Item pages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JefferysJunction

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Banner Ad On One Of My Item pages Reply with quote

There is a banner ad on one of my item pages. How could that happen?
Check the item link below and tell me if you see the ad...

https://jefferysjunction.ecrater.com/p/12876953/4-0clocks-mirabilis-jalapa-flower-garden
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see the ads. Your main image is too small. I don't remember the exact min. size to prevent the ads, but I think it's 250 x 250. That is WAY below the Google Shopping min. of 800 x 800. Your image is 231 x 231.
JefferysJunction

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. So banner ads are posted on images that are too small?
Most of my images are 500 by 375 pixels but no other banner ads have shown up.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the information posted in the FAQs :
https://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=16812

As you can see from the FAQs, the ads when the primary image is smaller than 250k has been in effect for over 10 years. Currently, eCrater recommends your primary image be larger than 800k on at least one side to get better placement in the marketplace. For example, if 5 sellers are selling the same item and a buyer does a marketplace search for that item, the sellers with photos smaller than 800 will be shown after the sellers with larger photos.

Also, Google Shopping recommends photos larger than 800k on both sides. If most of your images are 500 x 375, then most of your images are smaller than the recommended size. However, you'll only see the ads due to small images when the image is smaller than 250 x 250. The item in question is 231 x 231 and has ads.
pickychicky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They keep raising the minimum. Every time I get all of my images resized, they up it again, and Pinterest says 1200px on one side. I've got all mine sized at 800x800px, placed on a blank square background (to ensure nothing is cut off). When resizing them to that, I thought about just going to 900x900, but tested how it would appear on the screen and it causes folks to have to scroll to see the whole image. I have a 17" screen and I had to scroll, so I'm set on 800x800, no matter what Google says.

The reason for the larger size is so folks can get a close-up view when they click on an image. When clicking on yours at the link provided, it doesn't enlarge the image, which can be disappointing for shoppers.

Last edited by pickychicky on Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
JefferysJunction

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. I recently started using a new camera.
Any new photos I post will be 1000 by 750 pixels.

Requiring 800 by 800 makes no sense.
Modern cameras do not take square pictures.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that sell on Amazon, they have, without formal notice to us, increased their sizes to at least one edge has to be 1600 pixels long.
pickychicky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
For those of you that sell on Amazon, they have, without formal notice to us, increased their sizes to at least one edge has to be 1600 pixels long.

Why do they need images that big? They don't even fit on the screen, causing viewers to scroll.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want them that big so they will zoom up in size apparently. Mine is never to reason why with Amazon, I just do or die.
elpereles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waooo! Long time, I do not see those ads for little photos. Laughing

I forgot the date that eCrater announced it and the limit. I remember eCrater did it as a penalty because Google Shopping stopped looking for little photos.
pickychicky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elpereles wrote:
Waooo! Long time, I do not see those ads for little photos. Laughing

I forgot the date that eCrater announced it and the limit. I remember eCrater did it as a penalty because Google Shopping stopped looking for little photos.

Wait, so eCrater actually has a minimum set and will place a banner ad on your page if it's not met? I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense. These are the kinds of things that need to be specified in ONE place that is easily found by sellers to refer to. We shouldn't have to come to the forums to learn things piece by piece from other sellers.

If we are aware of these things beforehand, it will certainly prevent a lot of mistakes being made, freeing up a lot of time for sellers to complete other important tasks, like listing and promoting. Even if we don't make ourselves aware beforehand, at least that info would be there to be quickly and easily found so a seller can get busy fixing what needs fixing rather than wasting time asking questions, most likely after doing a search for existing answers, and waiting for answers that another seller MIGHT have.

To the OP, every marketplace I've sold on requires square images, with the exception of Etsy's main image, which I always had to create separate copies of since mine are set to be square so they completely fit within the frame given. Not squaring your images when square frames are provided will result in things getting cut off, particularly for the thumbnail images.

ETA: Had an afterthought...with all these things sites have been doing to make themselves mobile-friendly, why are such large images being required? Particularly ones that don't even fit within the frame of a 17" monitor? Can you imagine having to scroll around on a tiny screen to see all that?
elpereles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About size. As far I understand higher the quality. More easy for the image to be analyze by these artificial intelligence running in the net.

More easy for all displays around. Because they can compress the photo at will. Resolution and size display are not the same thing. Wink
pickychicky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elpereles wrote:
About size. As far I understand higher the quality. More easy for the image to be analyze by these artificial intelligence running in the net.

More easy for all displays around. Because they can compress the photo at will. Resolution and size display are not the same thing. Wink

That makes perfect sense. Although, I've never had an issue with my 800x800 images coming out blurry when reduced in size, but I do start off with high quality images that I reduce in resolution and size. Google doesn't seem to have a problem with my images since they appear a lot there, so I'm not going to worry about it.

About the square images, I should note that I place my 'cut out' product images on a square clear background. I simply close the space around the product to produce an image where it fills the space and then place it on the square background. So, I'm not actually making the product images square...just the background they sit on. Photoshop certainly comes in handy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: