eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Importing from Etsy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GemArtStudio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Importing from Etsy Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a store here, but didn't maintain it for a long time. I'd like to start fresh and import my items from Etsy. Is it possible with CSV file ?
Thanks!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A direct import from Esty is not supported. There is a Bulk List feature, but the file MUST be a tab-delimited text file and saved using UTF-8 encoding. You should be able to convert your CSV file to a tab-delimited text file without a problem. BUT you must make sure your CSV file is in the correct column order with the correct column headers before you covert to the tab-delimited format.

Check your store admin under More Options > Bulk List/eBay Import for the information you will need to edit your CSV for eCrater import.

A couple of pointers:
There is no column for Google Attributes, but they can be added to the end of your Product descriptions using the coding [attribute title:attribute value]. Of course, you can always go back & add them later.

You images MUST be located at a url location on the web, not on your computer. If they are only on your computer, you will need to add them later after your upload.
GemArtStudio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sheila,
too much hassle. It's easier to add items one at a time.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
too much hassle. It's easier to add items one at a time.

Too true! I have seen so many eBay downloads, where the store owner didn't seem to even look to see what their listings looked like. They come down as one solid paragraph, with talk of auctions and eBay, and are near impossible to read. I LOVE to read and when I see something like the mess a download posts like, I don't even bother trying. Some come and are upset because their 50 or so item download didn't work and they want to save time. Doing it manually does save time. When I came on here I was still on dial-up and now I have satellite which is so much better unless a storm is coming or our dish gets too much snow in it.

When I started here I manually listed around 5000 items using copy and paste. Since then I tend to tweak my listings although I know I still have a few old ones that haven't been tweaked as I have changed how I list things over the last decade. Tweaking listings helps get them seen by SEO.
elpereles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GemArtStudio, welcome to eCrater forum.

My recommendation is 1rst learn how eCrater works. eCrater just give you a space to list your stuff. The marketplace doesn't have a base of "slave customers" like eBay, Amazon or Etsy. eCrater just does some little promotion to the marketplace as a whole to Google Shopping, etc. It depends a lot from search engines like Google, Yahoo, etc. So just list items like a "dump truck" will not guarantee sales. The model of list and wait for a sale isn't part of eCrater.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemart. May I make a suggestion? I think I would be sure to include insurance in your shipping coast, and tell the buyer That way they may be a bit more confident about the expensive pieces showing up or if they get lost. If you are shipping from the US, I would upgrade to Priority Mail. I wasn't sure if you were shipping from Ontario, or possibly NY or FL which, of course, affects what kind of shipping you use. I would think that someone buying higher end items want to be 'pampered' throughout their buying experience which will give them more confidence in their buying.

If I buy a ring for $10 I expect it to come in a plastic zip baggy. If I buy one for $1000, I want it in a pretty ring box, safely boxed in a shipping box, and sent insured and fast. But that is just me. What I am suggesting is just a mere fraction of the cost of your pricier items.
GemArtStudio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: import from Etsy Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the tips. Yes, my shop here was abandoned, as I was busy with Rubylane and Etsy. Rubylane is a disaster, although it is the only place where I sold more than anywhere else, only to make even Everybody is waiting for the red tag sale which is 30-50% discount. It is usually every 2-3 months. The last two sales were a disaster for me. Plus very high cost of having a shop there. Etsy is good for cheap jewelry. That's why I started looking for other more stable places. eCrater been for quite some time, longer than most of today's big sites. So I think I should stick with it. I'm no longer either in Toronto, NY or Florida. I'm outside North America now. To tell the truth, I'm not a fan of social networks and try to stay away from them. I'll better focus how my listings look. The ones listed here from years ago I'm going to replace with white background. These with the graduating background are from Rubylane, which was creating them automatically few years ago, but today it is back to clean white background again.

To learn how eC works is indeed true. I downloaded the manual and will learn it as I go, item by item.

Moonwishes...your tip for insurance is great! Never thought about that. Thanks!
GemArtStudio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Image size ? Reply with quote

I haven't seen any mention of image size recommendation for products.
Is it as large as on Etsy and Rubylane, around 2000 px wide ?
Or smaller more normal size like 710 px wide like on other similar sites ?
elpereles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the photos. I forget the limit. In eCrater use big photos.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@GemArtStudio, you can add any sized photo you wish. There are a few recommendations. Your photo should be larger than 250px x 250px or you'll have ads appear on your item page. Your photo should be at least 800px on one side or be in a downgraded position in the marketplace search. At one time Google Shopping recommended photos should be at least (or larger) 800px of both sides. Today I couldn't find a recommendation from Google Shopping except the photo must be smaller than 64 megapixels and the file must no be larger than 16 mb, which are both HUGE. The most important thing is to have photos that clearly show your product. I usually tell sellers to think like a buyer. What would the buyer want to see if they were holding the item.

I took a look at your items on Ruby Lane and your photos are well done. One thing you might consider is information on what the buyer will see when they receive their item. Is it "gift boxed"? Does it come with an information card (tag) with info about the artist? Does it list the names of the actual stones included? Is each piece artist signed? I hope you have great success, you are truly a talented artist.
GemArtStudio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re:image size Reply with quote

Thank you very much Sheila and elpereles!!!
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Image size ? Reply with quote

GemArtStudio wrote:
I haven't seen any mention of image size recommendation for products.
Is it as large as on Etsy and Rubylane, around 2000 px wide ?
Or smaller more normal size like 710 px wide like on other similar sites ?

I believe the preferred size is 900x900 (at a minimum, and larger is possible). Try to keep your images square, even if you have to pad white space on the short sides. The reason for this is that some displays are forcing square. If you don't supply a square image, they will truncate the long sides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: