eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Former fragrance collector, new to eCrater! (sort of)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
eCRATER is the way to go, Or I should say, it was the way to go (for me). eCRATER is more work, you can't just sit around and wait for something, you need to work your eCRATER store, that's for sure.

Same here. I just got into the office and my first email to see was someone inquiring about a sold-out pattern that they had found a link for somewhere on the internet. So I answered them politely and sent them a link to ALL my Misses patterns that include a skirt, almost 2000. I hope she finds something similar. It doesn't take much time but maybe 20-25% of those questions lead to a sale. You wouldn't believe how many, maybe you would, sellers I have heard that say if someone asks them a question that they not only ignore it but they put the person on their own list of people not to sell to!!! Their theory being someone that who asks a question will be a nit-picky buyer and they don't want to deal with that. I prefer to think better of most of my buyers and I would rather get an order than chop off someone from buying from me. Very Happy
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to stay the course, keep working and building
sunflower93

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt about the work! It has been getting much easier now that I’m getting the hang of things. I have been updating my items everyday since my first post. If anyone sees any errors or something that could be improved upon, please let me know.

“Nit picky” buyers are just trying to be discerning and purchase carefully, especially if they can’t physically inspect the merchandise. I don’t understand why any seller would be put off by questions. It helps buyers make a better decision and make them less likely to return items. I would much rather have people ask than assume.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“Nit picky” buyers are just trying to be discerning and purchase carefully, especially if they can’t physically inspect the merchandise. I don’t understand why any seller would be put off by questions. It helps buyers make a better decision and make them less likely to return items. I would much rather have people ask than assume.

Absolutely! The sellers that don't want to answer questions may just be lazy.
sunflower93

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I made my first sales, hooray! I really appreciate all the help from everyone here, it was all very helpful to me. Hopefully the buyers are happy too.

An odd thing I did notice though, was after they were bought and paid for, both listings stayed exactly the same. The listing with a quanity of 1 was still up, and the one with 2 didn’t decrease. I did go back and fix them manually, but knowing someone could buy something I no longer have is a little concerning. Is this normal?
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have "Enable inventory control" checked off?
You can find it in the ADMIN section under account, then options. It is the very first item to check off.
Then each time you have a sale it will reduce the inventory by one.
sunflower93

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lastade-designs wrote:
Do you have "Enable inventory control" checked off?
You can find it in the ADMIN section under account, then options. It is the very first item to check off.
Then each time you have a sale it will reduce the inventory by one.

So that’s what it was. Thank you, I completely missed it!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to do Sunflower! One of the nice things about this forum as usually someone can answer you within a day. Do note, however, that it takes about 15 minutes before the computers involved with the payments are done talking to each other and in that 15 minutes, you can still get a second sale of the same thing. Not something that happens often unless the item is very popular. I think it has only happened to me once and the crazy thing it was a sewing patterns that had been listed for several years and suddenly two people wanted it. Rolling Eyes
sunflower93

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Easy to do Sunflower! One of the nice things about this forum as usually someone can answer you within a day. Do note, however, that it takes about 15 minutes before the computers involved with the payments are done talking to each other and in that 15 minutes, you can still get a second sale of the same thing. Not something that happens often unless the item is very popular. I think it has only happened to me once and the crazy thing it was a sewing patterns that had been listed for several years and suddenly two people wanted it. Rolling Eyes

Yes, I’ve noticed and quite grateful for it! I never expected such speedy help from members on a site that seems, well... a little quiet.

Such crazy things have happened to me as well, which may not be so crazy now that I think about it. Several people would show interest around the same time, seemingly out of the blue for old listings. I believe it has something to do with trends and sudden exposure. Someone, somewhere, may have mention the item, express their success with it, and the exposure piqued enough interest to have people search for it. It’s really a matter of luck for sellers. I’ve seen this in a lot of hobby forums, especially when something is said to be in limited production. There is usually an increase in demand after.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had patterns that sell like that. I started the listing for one pattern on Amazon and so I know that the listing showed the pattern with the WM price on the front. I wasn't selling it for the price though, it was a hard to find and if not for my son, I wouldn't have had hardly any to sell. When he goes on vacation, he spends his vacation scouting patterns for me. Anyhow the price for this pattern was high and people were buying it. Then one person got their copy with the same price that was showing in the listing picture and was mad that I had charged so much for it so she wanted a refund. I got it back and it resold in less than a week for even more. Due to my son finding me many of the rare copies, I have sold in the last 2-3 years over 100 copies of that pattern for a hefty price. I saw Lastade had one up for sale at a much lower price and told her to bump it up immediately. She did and got more than she initially expected I do believe.

The thing is, this pattern had everything, the photo of it was great, it was made in cute fabric and cute clothes, and as you mentioned it became the 'go to' pattern for a certain craft. The nutty thing, for long term sewers like myself, I could have made what they were making out of just about any other pattern in its class for a lot less money. I don't try to cheat customers, but if they want to spend that kind of money, I'm not going to stop them. Some people can not see past certain things and so they need to have the exact thing that someone else has.

Back in the day when I had the energy, I went to sewing classes on how to use our machines. I always added my own touches and did my own thing and I think the teacher put up with it as I kept the ladies around me out of her hair as I helped them understand what to do. One lady I still remember said that she had a top of the line Viking sewing machine and we were currently working on the top of the line Janome. I could never figure out how people could afford to get these machines that cost big money, and then have no clue how to use them, or how to follow instructions to make things. She was one that had to have everything exactly like the teacher did down to a fraction of an inch and had to have every single step explained and demonstrated to her, simply because she would be lost to making something that she created herself. She had all this creativity at her finger tips and couldn't do anything with it. I felt bad for her. Some people have to spend the big money to accomplish something that many can figure out a cheaper solution. Something I have always done.

I have had a passion for great sewing machines since I learned to sew on an old Singer that had been a treadle machine that was taken out and became a portable with a motor. It only made straight stitches. Boy did I covet decorative stitches when I saw them. I now have a great machine and I could 'afford' it because I make most of my own clothes, I don't wear makeup or $50 jars of wrinkle creams, can't find shoes to fit so I don't have 100's of pairs, etc. Nor do I smoke or drink. All that stuff that a lot of women spend money on, I don't. So I figure what some would spend on a year or two for all that other stuff, I can spend on a machine that is good. But you will not catch me paying big bucks for a pattern. I will always looks outside the box.

A long explanation of how I agree with you and how certain things will take right off and you can sell everyone that you have. At one point I had sold out of a certain Butterick pattern and was for a couple of years kept having people asking for it. I had listed it on Pinterest and one day when going through my Pinterest boards, I found it. It had been pinned over 7000 times. I think that makes it just about viral! Haven't had anyone ask about it lately though so it must be out of style now. What is terrific is being there when something goes viral Very Happy
sunflower93

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m still new to pinterest, but 7000 pins sound pretty viral to me! Things that go out of style often make a come back. When that pattern trends again, no doubt your pin count will attract potential buyers.

I don’t indulge in many things either, aside from my fragrances. No makeup, no nails, special skin/hair care, smoking, drinking, gambling, etc. The shoes, clothes and bags I do have, are not even close to being in the triple digits. Everything fits in a small closest, and I made sure each one was of good enough quality to last me a long time. I have only had to replace the soles on two pairs of shoes I wear regularly. Aside from that, I have not had to purchase anything new in the past 6 years.

You are absolutely right, having the best tools and resources can be a waste if one doesn’t know how to utilize them to their fullest potential. Thankfully some skills, even if not extraordinary, can be obtained through experience. I enjoy wooden hair accessories, but as I already had an expensive hobby, I simply couldn’t afford another. Despite having no skill, I started to collect wood scraps (often obtained at no little to no cost) and practice using a small knife, hand saw, different grits of sandpaper and homemade wax finish. While my first few projects were absolutely hideous, I did eventually reach a point where I was happy with the ones I made. Even happier that I did not have to spend a fortune on exotic woods and power tools!

After selling off more than half my fragrance collection in the last few years, I have stopped collecting. I plan to replace favorites when I have to, but that will be no time soon. My main priority now is converting our pantry into being more diabetic friendly. After I and some loved ones were diagnosed with type 2, I have been researching alternatives for us. Eating strictly low carb can feel like you are eating the same things over and over again. We love our carbs so the new diet was torture for us.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After I and some loved ones were diagnosed with type 2, I have been researching alternatives for us. Eating strictly low carb can feel like you are eating the same things over and over again. We love our carbs so the new diet was torture for us.

Same problem here. Just found out in the fall on top of severe rheumatoid arthritis. I was an RN but had never realized that RA has three hallmarks. One is pain, which everyone knows about and it seems like about 50% of the people that you run into have a cure that your doctor won't tell you so they can make money! Idiots! The other two is fatigue and lack of appetite. My appetite is getting less and less partly I think due to the medication I take has affected my taste buds and only chocolate tastes 'normal' and I literally get tired of chewing. About the only joints that don't bother me are the tiny ones in my ear and the hyoid bone which is in your neck and not attached to other bones, but if broken it usually means someone choked you to death. Anyhow with everything else hurting, chewing does become a problem and I can only stand about 2-3 minutes at a crack so making a meal can be rough. I am working on learning how to make food in the easiest way. My son has been doing most of my grocery shopping for the last year, so while that helps with some things, trying to think through meals to try can be rough.

I love a full pantry, I used to LOVE going grocery shopping, especially once I became a nurse and didn't have to be on as strict of a grocery budget as I had been on my part time work pay. Now on disability and have to be more strict at the grocery store again. Love to cook, mostly bake, and love reading cookbooks which in many ways are like history books as you can tell so much of what our country is going through by what the cookbooks showcase. I learned to cook out of a 1950 Betty Crocker cookbook. I taught myself how to make bread and rolls, etc. using this book when I was around 6th grade (age 10-11) -- some parents won't even let their 6th grade girls touch the stove much less use it for cooking. My mom had scribbled a note to me on my 4th grade report card on what to do to get a roast beef dinner ready to go in the oven! The bread recipe that I learned how to make bread from you could make 2 or 4 loaves because back then women were still making most of the families bread without a bread maker. Try and find that in their current book! Usually most recipes make only one loaf. That is a lot of work for one loaf of bread. My grandma used to make 30-40 loaves of bread in one day. I loved visiting when she did that and we would get our own little loaves to eat - Yum! So one of the hardest things for me with the RA is the difficulty getting groceries and the difficulty cooking. Then the DM educator was trying to tell me how to go about making meals, etc. and she just didn't get it. The only doctors/nurses that do are at my arthritis doctors office. When I tell her I can't stand up for more than 2-3 minutes, she knows I am serious. Just getting all the food out to prep it at the table is exhausting. Doesn't help that hubby has been using the kitchen table for months now to try and fix his computer that caught on fire. Rolling Eyes

Sorry I get long-winded. Selling online has helped the finances but as Amazon got screwier and screwier, I just couldn't handle it anymore and the having to get up and pack up orders before anything else first thing in the morning to avoid missing the mail carrier which sometimes substitutes come really early so I get the mail out by 11. I don't get eCRATER orders everyday so, I am starting to get into a new routine that feels wonderful. I have been busy making quilt blocks this week which I haven't done in a while.

I hope things go well for you here. Red is the only perfume that I'm not allergic to the smell. Most men's aftershave drives me nuts as well. I am allergic to so many artificial odors or even none artificial ones such as Easter lilies. So you are in a niche I won't be giving you any business. Sorry.
sunflower93

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken! Fragrances are not as popular as they used to be, and it’s a rare occasion that I do smell perfume on someone.

I honestly don’t expect a booming business here (or anywhere else, really) selling perfume. It’s a nice way for me downsize and get some money back, but it’s not the worse thing for me to be “stuck” with them. I don’t have very many, and I really don’t dislike any of them. I’ve regretted selling quite a few, actually. There were times where I would retest one I have for sale, just because, fall in love with it all over again, take it down and keep it for myself. Other times I did not realize until after it’s sold, sniffing a coat or something that held the scent and feeling stupid.

My mother who has osteoarthritis also deals with chronic pain. She does not take any special medication for it, only OTC pain killers when it gets bad enough and/or keeps her up at night. Warm weather helps, so we are looking forward to the upcoming months. A friend also taught me how to make collagen drinks and bone broths which seems to help as well. I think she said it helps with the inflammation and “lubricates” the joints. Of course I have no idea how credible that is scientifically, but it really does help and that’s more than enough for us.

It sounds like spacing out your food preparation might be worth considering. I sometimes make meals that takes a week or more to prepare. A flavorful broth one day, marinating/seasoning food another day, cutting preparing dough the next, then preparing dough, soup, etc, etc, then put them together however I want for meal time. It may seem like a lot, having to cook daily, but it takes much less time and energy per day, and you will always have full meals ready to cook and endless leftovers to heat up and eat, or freeze for later. Most of my preps freeze well, and the meals are just simple thaw overnight and bake/boil/grill. I do cheat and get some freezer meals every so often, but our food is primarily cooked from scratch, naturally to control the carbs.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that sounds like some really good food. I just slap different things together, BLT's - bologna sandwiches, Potato & Leek soup, boiled corned beef & cabbage, I also cook wild game, rice, oats, grains, bean soups - fast and simple stuff. I make a mean jalapeno cornbread, I can eat 2 or 3 days on any of those. But, I do think about trying to make sourdough bread - maybe some day. Extra sour bread.

Jacque Pepin is my cooking hero, I watch him, when time permits on those free public broadcasting channels.

sunflower93 wrote:
I sometimes make meals that takes a week or more to prepare. A flavorful broth one day, marinating/seasoning food another day, cutting preparing dough the next, then preparing dough, soup, etc, etc, then put them together however I want for meal time. It may seem like a lot, having to cook daily, but it takes much less time and energy per day, and you will always have full meals ready to cook and endless leftovers to heat up and eat, or freeze for later. Most of my preps freeze well, and the meals are just simple thaw overnight and bake/boil/grill. I do cheat and get some freezer meals every so often, but our food is primarily cooked from scratch, naturally to control the carbs.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunflower93, everyone that buys from me gets a short thank you note. I have several of them written up for different situations. I'm not sure, but I think, I've pick up 30 or 40 extra sales in last 9 or 10 months. The below pitch is for buyers that leave good feedback. If they leave bad feedback, I simply change it up. ((oh how sorry we are you had)) (whatever the problem is/was). And we want to make it right....You get the gist. The notes go sorta like this.

(their name), it's always good to get feedback, we are very pleased your (the item they bought) made a big hit. At this time, we are not set up to offer coupons on Ecrater. But we want to say thank you and to extend a gift of 10% off - any purchase - on any item found on our list of categories, this is our way of saying - thank you for your business and feedback. Here's a fast, easy link to our categories https://2tip3py1.ecrater.com/category.php

The 10% gift comes back to you after any purchase, in the form of a partial refund. All you need do is send word of your purchase to anyone here, by answering this email. This offer does have an end of sale date; it is valid for 10 days. Again, please let me say, "thank you for your business" And we hope to sever you again. 2tip3py1

If I am bored, I have one, which I use to follow up after 60 days. And I personally don't care if they use it ten months later, I simply sell the the item to them and knock 10% off. No big deal. I just think (maybe) 10 days creates a sense of urgency.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: