eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Newbee
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redruthcollectables

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Newbee Reply with quote

Hi to all at eCRATER, I'm a newbie and I came on board here last week. I'm a dealer in antiques and collectables and have just finished set up my shop, my only gripe is the atrocious shipping zones and weights system.

Apart from this the layout is simple and not to complicated and I dare say I will get use to it and become more settled overtime, thanks for having me.

Best

Ernest

https://redruthcollectables.ecrater.co.uk/
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
sunflower93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ernest!

I’m relatively new here myself, and have found the forums to be a great help.

I also struggled with the shipping zones and weight system. You have the option to use a flat cost for each item as well, maybe that will be a bit easier?

Goodluck to you
redruthcollectables

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunflower93 wrote:
Welcome Ernest!

I’m relatively new here myself, and have found the forums to be a great help.

I also struggled with the shipping zones and weight system. You have the option to use a flat cost for each item as well, maybe that will be a bit easier?

Goodluck to you
Thanks for the welcome and luck, the only problem with flat cost my products vary in weight and sizes so not really an easy option, I will persevere and hopefully get settled over time.

I been with Etsy now since 2013, at first they were great but with all the changes and rubbish SEO and there own search algorithms putting spanners in the works it's hard to get noticed so I needed a change and move on.

Also I'm based in the UK and have noticed most shops are from the US, so now I need to research and see how popular UK shops are selling within a US owned marketplace just like Etsy, time will only tell. Back soon, thanks for the input.

Best

Ernest
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Give a holler if you need help with anything.
redruthcollectables

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Welcome. Give a holler if you need help with anything.
Thanks for the welcome! Will holler if I get stuck or need help, but not to loud Very Happy
sunflower93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redruthcollectables wrote:
my products vary in weight and sizes

Maybe you already know this but just in case, the flat shipping cost can be set for individual items/listings. I personally set an appropriate flat rate for shipping to all states for each one of my items (no weight/zone system). A particular rate will be lower or higher based on the weight and size of the item. If that does not work for you, I do hope come across a better solution soon.
redruthcollectables

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunflower93 wrote:
redruthcollectables wrote:
my products vary in weight and sizes

Maybe you already know this but just in case, the flat shipping cost can be set for individual items/listings. I personally set an appropriate flat rate for shipping to all states for each one of my items (no weight/zone system). A particular rate will be lower or higher based on the weight and size of the item. If that does not work for you, I do hope come across a better solution soon.
Hi and thanks for your help and input, I am gradually working out the shipping and zone system Embarassed, have just worked out the flat rate shipping, I'm now in the process of making adjustment to the shipping in my listings.

The forum here is very friendly and helpful, "Gosh" it's not this good over at Etsy. Thanks for all your help guys Very Happy
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, it is always good to see a new seller join us. I use the Flat Rate Shipping, back when I came on, it was the first one I was able to figure out. Now that I have been here few months, sure wish I had done the other. But all's well that ends well.

That's Tip over there to the left. Again glad you're here.
redruthcollectables

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2tip3py1 wrote:
Welcome, it is always good to see a new seller join us. I use the Flat Rate Shipping, back when I came on, it was the first one I was able to figure out. Now that I have been here few months, sure wish I had done the other. But all's well that ends well.

That's Tip over there to the left. Again glad you're here.
Thanks for the welcome and tips. Being a UK seller I've worked out now it's better to use the flat rate option. I hope it works out for me sales wise, it doesn't look like there are many UK sellers or buyers here so not looking promising only time will tell.

Best

Ernest
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons that you may not see too many UK sellers here although I know we have or at least had them is the shipping costs and also you have to ship to all 50 states which includes Hawaii and Alaska which some US sellers try to get out of, partly because things take longer to get to those two states from here in the continent. I don't think you have to ship to Puerto Rico, Gaum or the American Virgin islands, etc. though.

I have ever only used the matrix for my shipping, but the majority of what I sell is sewing patterns and so they fit in the matrix well and for other things I check their weight and stick them with the appropriate matrix weight that will cover their shipping. I shipped out 5 extra heavy patterns today and was off by the matrix shipping amount by about 20 cents for postage and that doesn't cover postage supplies. I can't remember that happening before, but if I have to chip in some change for postage on a large order I'm happy as I would rather be out that little bit than not have made the whole order.
redruthcollectables

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
One of the reasons that you may not see too many UK sellers here although I know we have or at least had them is the shipping costs and also you have to ship to all 50 states which includes Hawaii and Alaska which some US sellers try to get out of, partly because things take longer to get to those two states from here in the continent. I don't think you have to ship to Puerto Rico, Gaum or the American Virgin islands, etc. though.

I have ever only used the matrix for my shipping, but the majority of what I sell is sewing patterns and so they fit in the matrix well and for other things I check their weight and stick them with the appropriate matrix weight that will cover their shipping. I shipped out 5 extra heavy patterns today and was off by the matrix shipping amount by about 20 cents for postage and that doesn't cover postage supplies. I can't remember that happening before, but if I have to chip in some change for postage on a large order I'm happy as I would rather be out that little bit than not have made the whole order.
Since the COVID-19 saga Royal Mail has tripled there prices since March last year so now it is so expensive to post to the US now, not expecting any sales across the pond anytime soon.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since the COVID-19 saga Royal Mail has tripled there prices since March last year

Yikes!

Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to ship a 4 ounce (114g) packet from there to here in the US? My last UK shipment cost $13.78 USD. I laughed when I pulled it up as it was the SAME exact pattern that I am shipping today. Technically, it weighed 1.6 ounces (47 grams) but because of the postage rules, it has to travel by the lowest FCM (First Class Mail) rate of up to 4 ounces to get the tracking. So the one I am sending today to California is $3.49. Which shows the differences in shipping costs between the two countries.

Just curious about your end.
redruthcollectables

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Quote:
Since the COVID-19 saga Royal Mail has tripled there prices since March last year

Yikes!

Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to ship a 4 ounce (114g) packet from there to here in the US? My last UK shipment cost $13.78 USD. I laughed when I pulled it up as it was the SAME exact pattern that I am shipping today. Technically, it weighed 1.6 ounces (47 grams) but because of the postage rules, it has to travel by the lowest FCM (First Class Mail) rate of up to 4 ounces to get the tracking. So the one I am sending today to California is $3.49. Which shows the differences in shipping costs between the two countries.

Just curious about your end.
UK Royal Mail small package weight starts from 100g then 250g and so on, so an item 114g would move up to 250g at the cost of a standard package at £10.95 (tracked package £15.45), it's when you get up to 1kg or 2kg parcels the prices change dramatically 1kg standard package £23.00 tracked £24.50 and Tracked & Signed £26.50. UK does not use 1st or 2nd class etc for International postage. Though RM is still cheaper than any UK private courier.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, if and when our shipping rates go to that level, that could seriously dampen internet sales on small packages; if not end small package sales all together.

I don't think going back to glass front single city traffic would be of much use either, those days look gone in my area. Nonetheless, that is some serious food for thought.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that are curious I checked the currency exchange for the pounds (I can't make that symbol) as of today:

10.95 = $15.30
15.45 = $21.59
23.00 = $32.14
24.50 = $34.24
26.50 = $37.03

Those are some hefty prices!

The package to the UK that I sent for $13.78 comes to 9.86 pounds and our FCM 4 ounce with tracking depending on where it is going but cost me $3.49 come to 2.50 pounds.

Those in the UK are working at a bigger deficit financially for postage than we are that is for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: