eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Search engine result on the Ecrater's main page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FidesFashion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Search engine result on the Ecrater's main page Reply with quote

Does it bother people that when you search for something on Ecrater's main page search engine, the result doesn't necessary contains all the keywords.

For example, I was doing a search for Nine West. The result contains anything that has the word Nine, or West. And there are tons of non shoes or non clothing items that has the word West on the title. So if I want Nine West clothing, I have to use quote marks.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way it is with all search engines isn't it? Certainly a google search will bring up everything. Brand name is usually first and then all the other clutter.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with most search enigines on a site it you put "nine west" - in quotes it will look for nine + west
and you get the results you want
http://www.ecrater.com/search.php?keywords=%22nine+west%22

if you search WITHOUT the quotes
it will search for nine OR west

It's all about knowing how to use search engines.

Google works the same way. You want it to fine a specific phrase you put it in quotes for the best results.
hoodat-teeshirts-andmore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn something every day. I didn't know about the quotes.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there is still an issue with the search (as mentioned in the first post). Searching nine and west together (no quotes) brings up all titles with only nine and all titles with only west in addition to titles with both (which are the only ones it should actually return).

So a definite issue if you're searching for two specific words that don't make a phrase.

For example, the first search result I get is:

"Post Office, Court and Customs House in Key West Florida FL Vintage Postcard - 3738"

There's not even a title with both nine and west in it until the seventh listing.
FidesFashion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poopsheet wrote:
But there is still an issue with the search (as mentioned in the first post). Searching nine and west together (no quotes) brings up all titles with only nine and all titles with only west in addition to titles with both (which are the only ones it should actually return).

That's what I'm trying to point out. The word Nine and West is quite common. Maybe I'm underestimating shopper's savvy-ness. But those who are selling Nine West shoes might not be happy to learn that.
kittenkat22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently this is a bolean search engine which mandates the quotes and I agree - how many customers will know this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: