eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

SHIPPING MATRIX - By Ounces Pounds Whatever you need
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The matrix does not deal with zones at all.

You need to have something in the matrix to be a backup for USPS calculated. So the best advice to is to come up with something averaged (and live with it, on the rare occasions it gets used).

The matrix is nominally scaled in pounds, but only if you want it to be. You can use the numbers to represent something other than ponds, but that would exclude USPS Calculated (which only operates in pounds). Excluding USPS Calculated, the numbers are nothing more than numbers. They can represent almost anything.

Once you accept that concept, the matrix becomes much easier to deal with.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again, Cosmicray.

I'm beginning to see a little light...

I have a variety of weights from 1-2 ounces through a few at 4 pounds.
I am so far putting "loose" prices under each "pound" taken from USPS as a beginning that I still will need to modify.

So, once I finalize my prices that I can live with (no matter what zone it actually sells in) by entering them in the pounds cells (I am actually considering them as just price selectors), I don't know how it will come up on a multiple sale: I can't locate where just now, but I think someone said the highest shipping cost is considered first by the shopping cart and the smaller weights after? Won't that jut keep overcharging?

As well - when I get to 14, 15 & 16 ounces, I am in Priority - do I have to come up with one rate I can live with here, again? I can't switch to a flat rate system, can I?

I am not sure I understand how 16+ works.

Media Mail: probably best to just open another shop? Question ?

Sorry for all the Q's - those who have theirs figured out are just not enough info for me. I understand they may not want to give out all their matrix cell info, here.

I think this might work for me... gee I'm sorry to be such a pest; I am trying not to overcharge my customers. Thank you!
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a order with several items, it should go to that number in the matrix. If you sell 2 things, with a 1 and a 3 it should give the price in the 4 space. There should be a point where you can ship most items in a flat rate box...or offer free shipping as some sellers do. Just pick where that point is for you.
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SammysSupplies wrote:
If you get a order with several items, it should go to that number in the matrix. If you sell 2 things, with a 1 and a 3 it should give the price in the 4 space. There should be a point where you can ship most items in a flat rate box...or offer free shipping as some sellers do. Just pick where that point is for you.

Then, I am WAY off... sugar!

I am just starting with the retail USPS shipping prices for First Class and then on to Priority. my #1 represents 2.54, my #2 reps 2.74, my #3 reps 2.94, my #4 reps 3.14.

If I sell a #1 and a #4, that would be $5.68 First Class. that's the sort of thing I had when I used USPS on another site. That tells me I don't know how to enter the correct prices. This was just my starting point, though, Sammy - however, if I lower each cell, then if someone buys just a #4, I may very well come up short.

I don't know how to do it another way - my items vary so much, it would be a bear to use each cell for item quantity. [sigh].
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrienne -
Since you have a variety of different weights to deal with, I suggest that you not use it as a per item, but rather simply as straight out poundage. that way, you don't care if they order one 3 oz item and one 4 lb item; the matrix will simply add the 3 ounces and the 4 pounds to make it a 5 pound item.

It you were to use it as a per item matrix, then there is no way to compensate for the 4 lbs verses the 3 ounces. Take the matrix "literally". Look up on the usps charts what a 6 pound item would cost to send to the furthest point in the US (add handling if you wish) and place this fiqure under the column for six pounds.

As for the 16+, what is the difference between sending a 16 lb item versus a 14 lb item to the furthest point (plus handling if you wish) - this is an estimate for what to charge for an additional (and every other additional) two lbs.

Does this help you out any?

If it will make it seem less daunting, just realize that this is only going to be used as an alternative if and when the USPS site goes down (which is normally around Xmas) - assuming that you clicked the little box that said you wanted calculated shipping.

Good Luck! I know you can do this! Do Not Give Up.

Do you know what postal zone you are in? If you are in zone 4 (which is mine), you can use mine. I will private message you the numbers if you want - as the numbers will be of no value to others on here. I actually tried to do a copy paste of them earlier for you...but couldn't figure out how to do it, because they did not come thru when I thought they would. But I will old school "type" them out for you if you want them. Let me know.
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am Zone 4.

I don't want to be any trouble!

Firstly; some people here say they ONLY use the matrix, we MUST use the matrix, we NEED to choose from the matrix, USPS or Flat Rate - ARGH!

I hope to save you a bother, if I can. I need to represent ounces mostly, since I rarely have had multiple sales in the past. Yet, it could happen. So, if I sell a pattern for 4 oz., then what? Do I charge 1#????

I would so appreciate yours, and please answer: are we supposed to keep the weight matrix radio button on at all times? I don't understand these different answers.

Thank you so much, AtMemoryLane!
olyguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adriennesretropolis wrote:

we MUST use the matrix

You don't gotta MUST use the matrix. If you don't want to use it....don't. If you want to use calculated shipping only...only use calculated shipping. It is just that simple. The only thing that might happen is once or twice a year you might get a sale without shipping added. Email the buyer and explain eCrater, for some reason known only to eCrater, didn't add the shipping. Please try buying the item again. Most will.
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adreinne - I will pm [private message] you between 3 and 5 [eastern time] today with the numbers.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

olyguy wrote:
You don't gotta MUST use the matrix. If you don't want to use it....don't. If you want to use calculated shipping only...only use calculated shipping. It is just that simple. The only thing that might happen is once or twice a year you might get a sale without shipping added. Email the buyer and explain eCrater, for some reason known only to eCrater, didn't add the shipping. Please try buying the item again. Most will.
You are correct in that a seller is not required to use the matrix. However, sellers are required to have shipping during checkout. It is a KNOWN fact to all sellers who read the information provided by eCRATER that the USPS Calculated shipping can time out if the USPS website is slow or unavailable. It is the responsibility of the seller to provide a back-up system of shipping that will appear in the checkout. The seller has a choice of using the shipping matrix or item based flat rate shipping as a back-up. To email the customer is NOT an acceptable option.

eCRATER Terms of Service wrote:
4.4 Content requirements

- Shipping must be set-up in the store to all locations that are selected in the shipping zones. It is not allowed to request shipping or additional costs after an order has been placed. The buyer should have the full cost upon checkout.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ MemoryLane and Adrienne, I'm puzzled as to how you have decided you are in "Zone 4". USPS zones are determined based on the zip code you are shipping from. For example, if I ship from an area that has a zip code starting with 325, I could be shipping to every zone from 1 to 8. Zone 1 is determined to be zipcodes close to your shipping zone. If I ship from a zip code starting with 968, I only have two zone options Zone 1 or Zone 8. Zip Codes starting with 968 are in Hawaii, so any thing shipped to another Hawaiian address is zone 1 and all other zip code addresses are Zone 8.

To get a current correct USPS ZONE CHART, go to the USPS website http://postcalc.usps.gov/Zonecharts/ and enter the first 3 digits of the zip code from which you are shipping.
olyguy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
However, sellers are required to have shipping during checkout. It is a KNOWN fact to all sellers who read the information provided by eCRATER that the USPS Calculated shipping can time out if the USPS website is slow or unavailable. It is the responsibility of the seller to provide a back-up system of shipping that will appear in the checkout. The seller has a choice of using the shipping matrix or item based flat rate shipping as a back-up. To email the customer is NOT an acceptable option.

But I do have shipping during checkout. I have eCrater calculated shipping. Why is it my problem if eCrater can't make it work? Why do I have to "provide a back-up system" because the people at eCrater can't write code that works?

I sell on eBay using calculated shipping. When was the last time you heard of using a matrix on eBay because their shipping calculator didn't work? I also sell on Etsy, ebid and webstore. All have shipping calculators that work the first time every time. If these sites have no problem with the USPS website being slow or unavailable, why does eCrater?

I've been told repeatedly by eCrater that this is not an eCrater problem. That might be, but it is a problem eCrater has and other sites don't.

Quote:

4.4 Content requirements

- Shipping must be set-up in the store to all locations that are selected in the shipping zones. It is not allowed to request shipping or additional costs after an order has been placed. The buyer should have the full cost upon checkout.

My shipping is set-up to all locations that are selected in the shipping zones using calculated shipping. I do not request additional money for shipping. I refund the payment and say try again if you are still interested.

I eat any mistakes I make. I don't feel I'm responsible for eCrater's mistakes.
AtMemoryLane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila - I know you were only trying to help because you are always very helpful on the forums. Something I wholeheartedly appreciate. But I do understand about the postal zones. I am in zone 4.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://support.pb.com/ekip/index?page=content&id=FA1653

As The Temptations once sang ... it's just a mass of confusion ...

SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@olyguy, if you are using calculated shipping on eCRATER, you are using USPS Calculated shipping. It has been made clear many times by eCRATER that they do not code the calculated shipping, but use a call to the USPS calculated shipping for the correct shipping rates. If the USPS site does not respond, then the checkout system checks the shipping matrix. If the shipping matrix is blank, then the checkout system checks the item page for shipping. If that is also blank, then the checkout returns a shipping cost of $0.00. It is the responsibility of every seller using the USPS Calculated shipping to provide a backup.

When you look in your admin section, there is a section called Shipping & Taxes. The calculated shipping is not listed in this section. In the last section called Account:, there is a link to Options. Under options, each seller has the choice to check "Enable USPS Calculated Shipping Instead". It would be unreasonable to expect eCRATER to be responsible for the speed of the USPS website, which you are choosing to use when you enable USPS Calculated Shipping.

The reason I'm spending time on this is to make sure new seller's understand the choice they are making when they choose USPS Calculated Shipping. There is a downside in that you have to have a backup, BUT the up side is your USPS calculated shipping is auto updated when rates change. If you use the shipping matrix as a backup, it doesn't take long to change your backup system.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtMemoryLane wrote:
Sheila - I know you were only trying to help because you are always very helpful on the forums. Something I wholeheartedly appreciate. But I do understand about the postal zones. I am in zone 4.
If I live in Hawaii or Alaska and want to ship you a package, then you live in zone 8. If you live in central Kansas, Nebraska or any other location that fall in zone 4 from the LA or DC, then it looks like you would be in zone 4, HOWEVER if you are in Kansas City, KS and I'm shipping from north west Florida, you are in zone 5.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just want to provide clear information to the newer sellers. Please take a look at the link I provided to the USPS website and the link school-yearbooks provided to information provided by Pitney Bowes to help shippers understand the USPS shipping zones.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 23 of 25

Jump to: