eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

SHIPPING MATRIX - By Ounces Pounds Whatever you need
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikes4x4andtruckrepair

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: SHIPPING MATRIX - By Ounces Pounds Whatever you need Reply with quote

Just signed up the other day and got a couple of items in the store. One thing that was giving me a heck of a time was this very strange system used for calculating shipping. Boy a zip code / weight based one would be great but I guess I got to work with what I got. Smile

So, the problem. I sell items that are very light and usually ship 1st Class and only weigh 2-4 ounces. With this system I couldn't see how to set it up so when someone purchased more than one item so they wouldn't get raped on shipping charges.

The sollution. What I figured out was that instead of using the shipping matrix as it was ment to be used with pound weight's I use it instead based on ounces.

Example. For Mainland US in the shipping matrix I have shipping set to $1.50 for column's 1 and 2 (ounces) then it starts going to even numbe weight's. 4 is set to $1.65, 6 at $2.10, 8 at 2.60, 10 at 3.10, 12 at 3.55, 14 at 4.60, 16 at 4.60 and for 16+ which add's the set ammount for each additional 2 units I set it to .30 cents.

Created some store items and did a test checkout and it works!!!

Just make sure that when you create your listing's when you put in the weight to do it in ounces and not pounds. Not perfect but it works.

Hope this helps anyone else that ships very light items
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
wahm922

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, I'm sure it will come in handy for some sellers!
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand. The Shipping Matrix defaults to pounds. For an order that comes to, say, $1.65 S&H what are you putting as the weight in the listing? 0.04?

Or are you entering the weight as pounds -- 4.0 -- so that it fools the system?

How do you make a weight of eight ounces come out to $2.60?

I have my first few columns set up thusly:
1 = 2.50
2 = 6.50
4 = 10.90
6 = 12.90

And in my listings the weights look like "0.03". That particular weight could give me shipping of $2.50.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this because if I could set if for ounces that'd be great for what I sell.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, maybe I've got it!

Are you putting all of your weights in as whole numbers? For instance one ounce is 1.0, five ounces is 5.0, etc?

If I've got that right, then that's pretty brilliant.
wahm922

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poopsheet wrote:
Wait, maybe I've got it!

Are you putting all of your weights in as whole numbers? For instance one ounce is 1.0, five ounces is 5.0, etc?

If I've got that right, then that's pretty brilliant.

I think that what they meant, at least that's how I read it so if they didn't mean it like that does that make me brillant Razz

Very Happy
nonsport

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new here as well and set my matrix up similarly.

My items are also usually under 1 lb but my main problem was that half my items ship Media Mail.

I set it up, forgetting the pounds (or ounces) meaning, 1, 2, 3 etc. are the amounts I want posted in my listings.

This way if the item ships Media Mail under 1 pound I type "1" in the weight box of my listings and it posts the amount I have listed under "1" in the matrix. If the item is Media Mail over 1 pound I type "2" and my charge of up to 2 pounds Media Mail is listed.

Likewise, I put my additional charges for typical weights in the matrix as 3, 4, and 5. Each one with the amount I charge for 1st Class then 14 oz., 15 oz. and 1 pound.

I made up a little chart and taped it to my monitor. It lists which number (1, 2, 3, etc.) relates to which shipping price in my matrix and type that number in my listing.

My only problem is, I haven't the time to fill out ALL the cels in the matrix for ALL the countries I ship to (which is worldwide) so I've only completed Mainland, Hawaii, Alaska and Canada.

M
flame

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How simple! Smile

Thanks! Smile
poopsheet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I'm just embarrassed that I never thought of anything like that..

Nice work, folks. I'll be redoing my shipping matrix as soon as I can -- I'm pretty happy that I'll be able to offer much more exact shipping per single item.

Cheers!
BlueByrdCollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for this. I am just setting up my store and sell items that are under 1 lb. I looked at the matrix and came to the boards right away to see if anyone had found a way around it.

Thanks a million
thegiftfairies

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsport,

I thought I had found all the shipping threads, but I missed this one. That makes perfect sense!! I think it would work for me as well.

Thank you so much for pointing out this thread.

Suzanne Smile

www.thegiftfairies.ecrater.com
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTall, can we make this one a sticky? I often find myself saying "there's a good thread for that around here" but not taking the time to find it..
laporte

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: similar system Reply with quote

I do something similar since I have shipping based on purchase amount. For the weights I put a number based on the purchase amount so when customers add items together it works with the matrix to combine shipping, it's not 100% but works pretty well.
KryseeMac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new and lots of my stuff is .10 of an oz. I sell jewelry findings. How do I set it up that if someone bought..say 9 things that total weight is less than a oz how would that work?

Yet my ready made jewelry is an oz or over. Can someone help me fill in the shipping matrix?
bargainsmall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: shipping matrix Reply with quote

I had it worse. I went to the USPS and made a chart for myself. Anything media mail I charge a flat fee as the same for first class. Since some of my procelain have to be double boxed, I had to set it for pounds.
AAA-1-Stop-Shop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: i can't even figure any of it out, really, Reply with quote

it all looks like just numbers in boxes to me, , how does it all work
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: