eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Two inches on box brings postage for priority up to

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Two inches on box brings postage for priority up to Reply with quote

I tried to send a package today priority and a box with 1 inch more in height and 1 inch in width makes the postage $13.00 higher. I couldn't believe it. I put the item in a smaller box and it brought it back down. That is crazy though. That's why I quit selling any larger items as the postage is just too high. Thought I would vent here as the postal authorities just say they can't help it as it is the people flying the items are the ones that changed it.

Joyce

http://periwinkles.ecrater.com
http://musicalnotes.ecrater.com
http://thejewelchest.ecrater.com
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know you can send a 3 pound package form FL to CA EXPRESS MAIL cheaper then you can send it priority mail if it don't fit in a priority mail box?

The guy that did the pricing on this last hike was either drunk or just plain stupid!

It is often cheaper to mail to Canada then within the states if you don't use priority mail.
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it has really gotten me confused. I don't know why it is so much more. I know fuel prices are higher but $13.00 for 2 inches, that's crazy. I probably won't be sending any more big items due to this problem. I have plenty of things to sell that don't take a big box. They will be losing a lot of money as I used to send a lot of big items. I'm sure other sellers have cut down on size also.

Joyce
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because anything bigger then the "normal" already made priority boxes are considered oversized. They have figured out how many of this size and how many of that size fit on the plane and your 2" just screwed up all their caculations of how they can squeeze them all in that plane.

All I can say is Fed ex ground would be cheaper but it would laso take 7-10 days!
ZanesPlace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mailing a box that wasn't that big via USPS and they quoted me $26.00 saying that it was oversized. I said forget it and took it to Fed Ex, the same box cost me $11.00 and included tracking and insurance. Except for small packages I now ship everything with Fed Ex.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be cheaper and faster to mail packages from the US to Canada than across one province within Can, but recently I sold a 4.5 pound item to someone in Toronto and US was double what Canada Post wanted. I double checked because the buyer is also an online seller and asked me if it was less. Could not believe a rate could have gone from about $12 to $23.
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder it's so much harder to sell things when the postage you have to charge is twice what the item costs. I would probably quit doing this but really like selling online and would really miss the rush you get when you sell something and talking to so many nice people. Oh, well, just have to charge just what I have to and hope the buyers know that they aren't getting overcharged.

Joyce
kimskorner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ldbmediastorage....we ship almost exclusively FedEx, it's so much cheaper.

The packages average 3 days to get there which isn't bad.
Comics-Emporium

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Two inches on box brings postage for priority up to Reply with quote

Periwinkles wrote:
Thought I would vent here as the postal authorities just say they can't help it as it is the people flying the items are the ones that changed it.

I believe part of their hig rates is due to the fact that Their paying their employees $20 to $30 a hour to sit around in the coffee break room once every 15 minutes out of the hour. Thats why we're waiting in line for a hour everytime we go to the Post Office
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Two inches on box brings postage for priority up to Reply with quote

Comics-Emporium wrote:

I believe part of their hig rates is due to the fact that Their paying their employees $20 to $30 a hour to sit around in the coffee break room once every 15 minutes out of the hour. Thats why we're waiting in line for a hour everytime we go to the Post Office

Not in my post office. They work their butts off and there are still line ups in a tiny po.
MIZombie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did notice some stuff going to Canada is cheaper than shipping domestic.

MI Zombie
loveloveweddings

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A person at the counter in the PO told me that the basis of their new prices are based on size rather than weight. Is that true? If that's the case then that would explain such a large price hike by just having a larger box / package.
dakotaexchange

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just wanted to say that I send my hats in and 16 X 16 X 6 or 8 box and they weigh about 2.5 -3.5 pounds. I always us priority mail. I have never paid more than $12.75 to ship them. Of course, this is to ship in the US only. I have never had a Canadian buyer for my hats. I use my own generic brown box and us the USPS priority stickers and address label so they wll be able to tell that it is priority.

It would be interesting to know what it is that decides postage costs. Wink
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loveloveweddings wrote:
A person at the counter in the PO told me that the basis of their new prices are based on size rather than weight. Is that true? If that's the case then that would explain such a large price hike by just having a larger box / package.

Something like that, yeah. I think it was to become more in line with the other shipping services like UPS and FedEx.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: