eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Free domain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onetreeatatime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Free domain Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I don't know if some of you would like a free domain. I signed up for it. Instead of being a .com, it's a .tk at the end. Personally I think it's just fine seeing how's free. Some of you might still prefer to have their shop name then .ecrater.com but for those of you that would like to keep it shorter you can have a look there http://www.dot.tk

Just thought I'd share!Smile

My new address is http://onetreeatatime.tk

I must say that the one inconvenience is the ad banner that they put on top of the website.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't that screw up any of your links that you have in search on google and other searches? I don't think I will take the chance. Thanks for the info though.

Joyce

http://periwinkles.ecrater.com
http://musicalnotes.ecrater.com
http://thejewelchest.ecrater.com
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't screw up google searches BUT since it is a masked domain name - PayPal will not work when the buyer goes to pay - that must be an ecrater.com URL to work.
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I didn't do it then. That's all I need is PayPal problems.

Joyce
my-little-e-shop-in-ukraine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Thanks for Info Reply with quote

Thanks for the Info.

Will check it out when time permits.

Which the ways things are going might not be before Christmas Confused
poopsheet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with anything that's not ".com" is that if people only remember your store name the first thing they're going to try typing is "www.storename.com". If they don't find it you have to hope they'll go the extra mile to Google it...

But it still gives you a URL that's easier to remember, shorter and a bit more professional.

Just get rid of the masking. In addition to breaking PayPal it also disallows the ability for customers to bookmark specific product pages.
onetreeatatime

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, thank God you guys are here, I got rid of it:). Would a .com pose the same problem?
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onetreeatatime wrote:
Oh well, thank God you guys are here, I got rid of it:). Would a .com pose the same problem?

IF you mask it instead of forward it YES then you still will not connect to PayPal correctly and the shopper can't bookmark items.
IF you forward the domain name - then it works fine.
kimskorner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...so in addition to making money (ok well not yet! LOL) I'm also getting internet/computer lessons - this site is awesome Very Happy
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimskorner - Folks here are willing to teach you anything you want to know. Think is you either have to keep up with all the reading, lol, or try to think of the questions - but you learn alot simply by reading especially when you don't know what questions you don't know about, lol.
kimskorner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I know! I still haven't finished reading all the back topics but I'm getting there. There really is a wealth of information posted here.

I think it speaks very highly of the people here at ecrater that are so willing to explain and help their fellow sellers.
loveloveweddings

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
It won't screw up google searches BUT since it is a masked domain name - PayPal will not work when the buyer goes to pay - that must be an ecrater.com URL to work.

I have just read a post from another seller with the same sort of problem. I did notice that my sales were down October when I masked my domain. (I have a url w/ godaddy) I thought since most sales were down October that everything was okay. I did not know that masking a domain will cause problems once they try to pay via paypal. I've just unmasked my domain and hopefully that will help with sales.

I wish I had read this before I started promoting my url everywhere. (flyers, calling cards, free classifieds, etc) both print and online.

kimskorner wrote:

I think it speaks very highly of the people here at ecrater that are so willing to explain and help their fellow sellers.

I agree to what kimskorner said. I learn something(s) new everday here on the ecrater forum.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loveloveweddings wrote:
I did not know that masking a domain will cause problems once they try to pay via paypal. I've just unmasked my domain and hopefully that will help with sales.

I think though that it will only cause a problem if the customer tries to buy after they've arrived at your store by typing your domain name in the address bar. If they found your store (or a particular item) through ecrater.com or through one of the search engines then it should be okay (as long as the search engine result didn't take them to your domain-based URL).

In other words, if their address bar says they're at loveloveweddings.ecrater.com then PayPal should work fine.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You can still use that domain to forward though (without masking), so your having promoting it is a good thing.
FRAMESnGIFTS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think it would be better to use your domain as a doorway site. I noticed a couple of people doing that.

You can promote your domain named site as the link you post everywhere, and then that site points to your ecrater store.

If you put Google Analytics on your site, you can get an idea where your customers are coming from. Good gauge as to which of your efforts are working best.

But then I'm one to talk, haven't even started my doorway page yet. Laughing Embarassed
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRAMESnGIFTS wrote:
Personally I think it would be better to use your domain as a doorway site. I noticed a couple of people doing that.

You can promote your domain named site as the link you post everywhere, and then that site points to your ecrater store.

If you put Google Analytics on your site, you can get an idea where your customers are coming from. Good gauge as to which of your efforts are working best.

But then I'm one to talk, haven't even started my doorway page yet. Laughing Embarassed

My stores are that way.
My site www.FormalLongDresses.com is alot of different pages but everything points to my ecrater.com store.
My www.BigNTallMensClothing.com is a single page with all the ecrater.com store categories etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: