eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

GP attributes... how flexible ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: GP attributes... how flexible ? Reply with quote

As I am beginning to list items for sale, I have a few questions concerning the attributes for Google Products. First, the vast majority of items I have for sale are new LEGO brand toy sets.

1. UPC - almost all of the LEGO product packages have a UPC code. A few do not. These items seem to have been promotional items (e.g. supplied with McDonalds happy meals). I guess LEGO never assigned them a UPC number (although they do have an MPN). Do I just ignore UPC on these items ?

2. A few (a very few) LEGO sets have been observed with an identical MPN, but 2 different UPC numbers. From examining the packaging, it seems that the different UPC has something to do with where the internal parts were manufactured (as the list of countries is different). The toy set itself is indentical. Just use one of the UPC codes ?

Keep in mind that the UPC that I see is based on the copies of the toy set that I have in stock. It is possible that the same set (same MPN) sent to other countries (e.g. Denmark, Japan, etc) (i.e. different languages on the external packaging) will almost always have a different UPC anyway. So while a given UPC always belongs to a given MPN, the reverse is not true.

3. made_in (this one is a mess). The Google Base Help center says "The location where the product was made." Um.. thanks guys.

From a LEGO product box (this varies, but using this one as an example)...
Components made is DENMARK, SWITZERLAND and USA. Packaged by LEGO Systems, Inc., Enfield CT 06083, USA

The parts inside the box were made in some combination of those 3 countries. Only the packaging occurred in the USA. Does USA work for made_in or is this beyond the scope the information GB is trying to collect ?

Also keep in mind that products being made for the US market are now being assembled in Mexico (a recent outsource move by LEGO). A recent vintage set says Components made is DENMARK and the CZECH REPUBLIC. Distributed in USA by LEGO Systems, Inc., Enfield CT 06083, USA. No mention of Mexico as the assembly point, but I'm reasonably certain that is where the set was packaged.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom on the subject.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 UPC --- if the item has no UPC --- then you don't put a UPC.
UPC #'s are not free and have gone up almost triple in price in the past 4 years. Many mfg are using one UPC for many different items because of this. So if it's not an item they are selling you bet they are not going to waste the money to give it a UPC.

#2 --- Not only will you fine one exact item with different UPC's but you will fine different items with the same UPC. Some MFG have certain UPCs assigned to certain plants etc. So one could come out of one plant and one out of another yet be the same prodcut.

Quote:
3. made_in (this one is a mess). The Google Base Help center says "The location where the product was made." Um.. thanks guys.

If you can't tell for sure where it was made - don't use that attribute.

Quote:
From a LEGO product box (this varies, but using this one as an example)...
Components made is DENMARK, SWITZERLAND and USA. Packaged by LEGO Systems, Inc., Enfield CT 06083, USA

The parts inside the box were made in some combination of those 3 countries. Only the packaging occurred in the USA. Does USA work for made_in or is this beyond the scope the information GB is trying to collect ?

I don't think USA is correct - since it's not made here - if lucky it's package here at best.
As you pointed out - sounds like Lego maybe only using USA as distribution of the product.
So I certainly wouldn't claim it to be made in the USA.

My suggest is that you put the UPC that is on the product you have in your hand. If you have 2 and they have different UPC's when the one you listed is sold out - edit it or end it and them list the other. If you decide you need to use the UPC attribute on the items.
I also suggest that you don't use the made in attribute at all, since you don't know where it's made or there is more them one place.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: