eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Shipping Discounts and Invoicing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDMarketplace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Shipping Discounts and Invoicing. Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Joe and I am in the process of opening a store on eCrater. I will be selling used CD's. While I am taking my time to carefully complete it's setup, I am concerned about the shipping matrix. I realize with the way it is set-up, it does not allow for shipping cost increments in ounces. As I will only be accepting Google Checkout and Money Orders as payment, how do I properly invoice a buyer who has purchased more than one item??? Is there an invoicing system within Google Checkout? Or is there an invoicing system within eCrater??? I am just quite confused in how my buyers will get a proper invoice PRIOR to completing payment. I don't believe that a buyer should have to pay for a few items individually and then have me refund the buyer the difference based on my stated shipping discounts in my items...I think that is a hassle for a buyer.
Please help! and Thanks!
Joe
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF all you sell is CD's
it's easy to use the shipping matrix.
Instead of looking at it as pounds or ounces
look at it as number of items.

For example I have one store that everything is exactly the same weight
so I put 1 in for the weight on every item
On the matrix I have 1 = $2.50, 2 = $3.00, 4 = $4.00 5-16 = $5
and I tell them in the listing that if they buy 5 - 16 mix and match they pay only $5 shipping.
gnulinuxstore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not working for me. I also sell only CDs and and DVDs.
I just tried to test buy 8 items from my store. On the matrix I have $3.50 shipping for 8 items and the total on the test came up to $12.00. Everybody that bought that many items I would have to end up refunding them all $8.50

I charge $1.50 for shipping one item
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnulinuxstore wrote:
This is not working for me. I also sell only CDs and and DVDs.
I just tried to test buy 8 items from my store. On the matrix I have $3.50 shipping for 8 items and the total on the test came up to $12.00. Everybody that bought that many items I would have to end up refunding them all $8.50

I charge $1.50 for shipping one item

What do you have on your matrix?

Here is how I did mine

If you have the weight on the item as 1 and you have $3.50 in the boxes under the 8 then it will charge $3.50 for 8 of them.
gnulinuxstore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I set up my listings I put 1 for the weight for all my items. And the $3.50 is in the 8 column.
And I just tested it again and still shows $12.00 shipping.
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnulinuxstore wrote:
When I set up my listings I put 1 for the weight for all my items. And the $3.50 is in the 8 column.
And I just tested it again and still shows $12.00 shipping.

I just played with it and you are right - 8 is equalling $12
can you take a screen print of your shipping matrix and post it here so I can see it?
and also of your product page - making sure I can see the weight and shipping option portion.
gnulinuxstore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I see what I did wrong. I usually sell my items flat rate so it does not work that way.
I will have to change everything to weight based. Its works correctly that way.
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad I could help you figure that out!
gnulinuxstore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thank you very much. I also figured how to apply free shipping this way to customers that buy over a certain amount.
ahsq

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOULD the matrix method work on my site when I have multiple sized items with different weight on?
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahsq wrote:
WOULD the matrix method work on my site when I have multiple sized items with different weight on?

Yes if you fill it out correctly. USing weight as actual weights and not a san item count.
busybeemerchandise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Shipping Matrix Problems Reply with quote

Hi, I am having problems figuring out how to set up the shipping matrix. I have many different items in my store with various weights and sizes. Please help me. I am used to FedEX figuring out shipping. I want to make sure I set this up right.

Thanks,

Jackie
Busy Bee Merchandise
TheHouseofW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the shipping matrix properly and have items at varying weights, and it's still not as accurate as I'd like, unfortunately, but it's not awful.
busybeemerchandise

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: shipping matrix Reply with quote

how did you set up the matrix if you don't mind me asking? What increments did you use?
TheHouseofW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: shipping matrix Reply with quote

busybeemerchandise wrote:
how did you set up the matrix if you don't mind me asking? What increments did you use?

Well, I'll tell you how I did it and then some recommendations to consider that I kind of wish I had hashed out before listing a ton of stuff.

I set up two browser pages, one with the matrix and one with usps since that is my carrier of service. I then selected the furthest zip code I could come up with just by looking up the furthest city I could think of within the nation(not Alaska or Hawaii) from where I live. I'm midwest, but to the right, so I went with Los Angeles, CA. I then used that cost as the highest level of my bracket range for each tier, and used within my shipping zone for the lowest. I ended up ultimately rounding down or up the cost to ship to L.A. as my average, as it would be a good average that took some of the shipping materials into consideration. For instance, 1 pound for darn near anywhere in the US is $5. After 2 pounds, anything 3 pounds or more I switch from priority to parcel since it really starts to jump up from there, so it seemed the natural breaking point to me. For Alaska and Hawaii, I just selected the capitols there and used that as my basis for the tiering.

However, I would recommend considering this:
I have some items that could be combined for under 1 pound, and I wish I had thought to separate out the matrix to represent 1/2 pounds instead of pound increments. This would work for me as the majority of my items and orders would not excede 15 pounds, and the matrix goes up to 30+.
So, it would look or be interpreted as something like this:
Matrix 1 = 1/2 pound or 8 oz. = first class shipping charge, like, say, $3
Matrix 2 = 1 pound = priority charge $5
Matrix 4 = 2 pounds = Priority $7
Matrix 6 = 3 pounds = Parcel $8(Or priority $7 if you so choose)
Matrix 8 = 4 pounds = Parcel $9
etc.

This is good if you are not shipping many heavy items, as I mentioned, and it would therefore give a more closer and specified cost and weight increment for s/handling charges. The con of it being a bit more confusing.

I seriously debated going back and altering 400 items to this frame, but I'm not sure I want the headache. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: