eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Refugee Roll Call
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hidyscloset

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks, HidyAphrodite of HidyAphrodite's Closet here, a refuge from that "other" place since finally clicking to close August 14. I've been here since sometime early in August -- I think. I have a couple of other stores scattered about as I learned my lesson about putting all of my eggs in one basket.

I have my own site which pretty much acts as my store "lobby" with my eCrater store being the "TOP FLOOR". I have a "BARGAIN BASEMENT" and auctions scattered about but with one presentation in my "AUCTIONS" section. I plan to start selling cuttings, plantlets, root stock, and culinary herb bundles soon in Hidy's "GARDEN SPOT" but for now you can see some pictures of this special place at http://www.hidyscloset.com.

Just a thought -- ya know, self promotion is the name of the game in this e-commerce stuff and when a seller is successful at marketing themselves then they are also increasing site traffic so I don't understand all of the terratorial posturing. Rolling Eyes

View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fchfurniture wrote:
"Also, you should be changing your featured item on your homepage every day. Google likes it when the homepage is revised often.
"

That is a real useful experience for us. thanks

You can have many items as featured - it will continual rotate the items.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

houseofwaterdancer wrote:
BigTallMensClothing wrote:
Not sure I would call myself a refugee
but I sell on ebay and I sell on ecrater.com.

I have been here since March 2005. And I absolutely love it!! Not sure I would survive without my customers coming over from ebay though.

Best of luck to all of you!

Have you been able to promote your eCrater store to drive traffic here, other than from eBay?

Lynda

Yes, I promote my store other places then ebay. I do monthly newsletters to over 10,000 customers that I have had since 1999. I have good sales on ecrater.com - many new customers too, but it's not enough to live and support a family of 4 on.
I am working on my site, once I get my size chart loaded there I can easily place a link in every listing to get them over to my store.
Everything takes time. And although in the long run that will get me more sales, I have to focus on getting the bills paid today - so getting that done is high on the priority list of dreams, lol.
houseofwaterdancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
fchfurniture wrote:
"Also, you should be changing your featured item on your homepage every day. Google likes it when the homepage is revised often.
"

That is a real useful experience for us. thanks

You can have many items as featured - it will continual rotate the items.

Whoa, Cowboy! Are you saying that if we select our best items to be on featured, by clicking on the check box for those items, then it will continually rotate through those items selected? I'm thinking maybe fifty items with featured checked.

I'm going in every day and changing what's featured. It sounds to me like I don't have to waste my time doing this. Am I right?

Thanks.

Lynda
houseofwaterdancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hidyscloset wrote:
Hey folks, HidyAphrodite of HidyAphrodite's Closet here, a refuge from that "other" place since finally clicking to close August 14. I've been here since sometime early in August -- I think. I have a couple of other stores scattered about as I learned my lesson about putting all of my eggs in one basket.

I have my own site which pretty much acts as my store "lobby" with my eCrater store being the "TOP FLOOR". I have a "BARGAIN BASEMENT" and auctions scattered about but with one presentation in my "AUCTIONS" section. I plan to start selling cuttings, plantlets, root stock, and culinary herb bundles soon in Hidy's "GARDEN SPOT" but for now you can see some pictures of this special place at http://www.hidyscloset.com.

Just a thought -- ya know, self promotion is the name of the game in this e-commerce stuff and when a seller is successful at marketing themselves then they are also increasing site traffic so I don't understand all of the terratorial posturing. Rolling Eyes

HidyAphrodite, I enjoyed looking at your website and your eCrater store. You've been busy! I think it's great that you've encorporated all of your other St. Elsewhere sites into your website. It works. I will be doing something similar once I get my eCrater store stocked.

You might try adding a blog to your website. Google loves blogs. LiveJournal is a good one.

Good luck to you.

Lynda
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm going in every day and changing what's featured. It sounds to me like I don't have to waste my time doing this. Am I right?

YES, that is what i am saying.

NOW, I am referring to the image in the upper right hand corner of your home page.
In the product listing you click the box in front of Show as featured on your store home page
then every item that you have checked will rotate on your home page.

to the best of my knowledge there is no limit. If you happen to find out there is - please be sure to share that info with me.
houseofwaterdancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thank you so much for mentioning that tip! Anything that cuts down on my diddling time is very much appreciated!

I have a long way to go in stocking up my store, but if I hit a limit on the featured items, I'll certainly let you know by posting here.

Lynda
hidyscloset

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Houseofwaterdancer for the blog tip. Gees, so much to do and only one of me! But I am getting there and a blog is definitely on my to-do list.
www.hidyscloset.com
houseofwaterdancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're more than welcome, hidy. I love the way that "hidyaphrodite" sounds.

How did you do those auctions on your website? I may do some Yahoo auctions, and I'd like to do that. If you have some time to tell me, I'd appreciate it.

Lynda
starylatka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hi, I've been here for a week or two. Some of my items are getting more hits than they did in months at the other place. I'm glad to be here!
houseofwaterdancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazing, isn't it? Just getting away from those eBay servers really opens up the views.

I think the first hit is related to the Froogle/GoogleBase feed, but the rest appear to be coming from outside.

Good luck to you.

Lynda
Buytime

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the best move feeBay could have done for us.
(raise fees)

Laughing
houseofwaterdancer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so too. I've had rapidly declining auction sales since 2004. I decided to focus on my store to ride out whatever was going on. I was doing okay, but when they pulled the plug on my store, I had to leave.

I don't have high expectations from the eCrater site, other than providing a store and shopping cart. I'm going to make it work for me.

Good luck to you.

Lynda
hidyscloset

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Yes, I think we'll all be thanking that "other" place for shoving us out of the controlling nest and forcing us to spread our wings. I am a little dismayed, however, with eCrater as I've been "scolded" today for using my signature avatar in my postings because it has my website address on it. Oh, well, just more of that inane territorial posturing. It is very unprofessional to disallow us to promo ourselves -- they just don't have the traffic yet to sustain us. Another site that I'm affiliated with that has no such rules is the one with the most traffic and the happiest sellers judging by the community boards. Oh, and it is the only one where I'm selling stuff right now, too, so hasn't seemed to hurt anybody one iota. In fact, that site is racing up the charts getting the most new listings.

'Nuff of my rantings. As to my little auction page -- I prepare the copy in a desktop publishing program (PageMaker), save to PDF format then open it in Photoshop where I proceed to save as a GIF for uploading. I just link it to the address of the particular auction listing. My background is in print media but I'm learning to adapt what I know for the web. Doing it this way gives more exposure to my auction listings because frankly, some of these sites are ghost towns. It really is up to each of us to ultimately create our own traffic flow. I'd be happy to talk to you more about how I do those auction listings if you'd like to email me.

Everybody have a great weekend and sell sell sell! Be sure to stop by HidyAphrodite's Closet on eCrater which is also the Hidy's TOP FLOOR at www.hidyscloset.com.
BargainBarn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Refugee Here....Well Kinda Reply with quote

Yeah well, not totally as of yet. we have to admit though, we were astonished how fast our merchandise here on eCrater was listed on Froogle.com. It definately appears these folks have their priorities straight. We have read, their five year plan, is to compete with Amazon. I for one think they'll leave them behind given what i have seen so far. The hits at this site are great for a company as young as they are. We have only been here since the first of September and sales look very promising. Our company has searched long and wide to find something better than "eFee" and there is nothing else out there, in our opinion, that has a better chance of making the big leagues. eCrater, Our hats off to you...Keep up the great job! Everyone else....Hang in there.....you're starting out on the ground floor with what promises to be a major presence on the web.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: