eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Still A Little Confused About Sub-Categories......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TFCN-Broadcasting

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Still A Little Confused About Sub-Categories...... Reply with quote

I understand how to make a sub-category but I'm still a little confused as to how these are seen by the potential customer.

From what I'm looking at when I create the sub-cat is of course the main category and then the sub-cat within that category.

However, what exactly does the buyer see? Suppose I have Four different categories and each one of those has a sub-category how does the buyer see the title of that sub-category within that main category Question

Does anyone have a link to an already existing store that uses sub-categories so I can see what the set-up looks like Question

I think what is confusing me is the links that appear under the "Most Popular" heading seems to be randomly selected by eCrater Question

It also seems that you can not have something that looks like this appear on your stores home page in a column with links to click on like on that 'other-site'. Confused

Example" CATEGORY A
Sub Category (which would be the item itself)
CATEGORY B
Sub Category (the item)

ETC, ETC.

Finally, can you take a category, make a sub-category within that category and move the items from the category into the sub-category of that category and do this after-the-fact or do the sub-categories need to be made at the time you create the main category Question (and I'm sure this paragraph is confusing .. but I know what I mean) Laughing

Many thanks to anyone who can understand all this and help me out.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll try to get to the rest in a while but in the mean time you can look at my store to see sub-categories and sub-sub categories look. Just click on the www at the bottom of this post.
acread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Still A Little Confused About Sub-Categories...... Reply with quote

TFCN-Broadcasting wrote:
I understand how to make a sub-category but I'm still a little confused as to how these are seen by the potential customer.
The customer will see it the way you see it when you click on "Preview" from your admin page.

From what I'm looking at when I create the sub-cat is of course the main category and then the sub-cat within that category.

However, what exactly does the buyer see? Suppose I have Four different categories and each one of those has a sub-category how does the buyer see the title of that sub-category within that main category Question
The first level of subcategories will appear in the "Categories" of your store site. Second level subcategories don't appear in that list. When you click on a category you'll see all the products in that category and on the left side below the search you'll see the list of all subcategories within that category.
Does anyone have a link to an already existing store that uses sub-categories so I can see what the set-up looks like Question

I think what is confusing me is the links that appear under the "Most Popular" heading seems to be randomly selected by eCrater Question
The "Most Popular" are just that. It is a list of the products that have been opened and looked at the most.
eCrater has its and your store has a separate one (just for you).

It also seems that you can not have something that looks like this appear on your stores home page in a column with links to click on like on that 'other-site'. Confused

Example" CATEGORY A
Sub Category (which would be the item itself)
CATEGORY B
Sub Category (the item)

ETC, ETC.

CATEGORY A
Sub Category
CATEGORY B
Sub Category

Like that. Subcategories are not items

Finally, can you take a category, make a sub-category within that category and move the items from the category into the sub-category of that category and do this after-the-fact or do the sub-categories need to be made at the time you create the main category Question (and I'm sure this paragraph is confusing .. but I know what I mean) Laughing
You can't move one category inside the other I think. You'll have to click on the category name and then click on "add new category" to create the sub-category. You can move products around. All you need to do is click on the edit button (yellow pencil icon next to it) and change the local category to the place you want to put it.

Many thanks to anyone who can understand all this and help me out.

Last edited by acread on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my store -
http://bigtallmensclothing.ecrater.com/

Click on the Jeans category (that is a main category)

You will then see the sub-categories of
Carpenter Jeans (20)

Classic 5 Pocket Jeans (126)

Stretch Classic 5 Pocket Jeans (94)

If you click on Classic 5 Pocket Jeans
you will then see more categories
Black (59)

Blue (67)

Categories make it easy for the shopper to narrow down things when they are shopping.

I hope that helps.
TFCN-Broadcasting

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! That helped a lot looking at how it is set up.

Thank you both.. very much!!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: