eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Really good new store names-What are your tips, ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Really good new store names-What are your tips, ideas? Reply with quote

In choosing a name for a new ecrater store, what are your tips, ideas, helpful opinions, to make a really great store name? Here are some things I have read in the discussion boards here, and I hope I interpreted them correctly? Please let me know if you agree, or have other ideas.

I recently read that a store that maintains "related" products will possibly be picked up better by search engines, and that the store name should include terms or key words reflecting those related products.

Is it true that store names that are too long have problems with some search engines? I am thinking that the store name should stay 20 characters, or less, to best satisfy the search engine results? Someone with expertise in this area, please let me know - What is too long?

Is it true that good store names let the person searching the internet have a basic idea of what you are selling, and that "cute" names are often not the best choice?

I would love more opinions and ideas from those who are wise in this area.

Thanks!

VintageMoonbeams
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it true that good store names let the person searching the internet have a basic idea of what you are selling, and that "cute" names are often not the best choice?

EXACTLY!
URL's that have keywords in them will get better placement in search engines.
Do a search for anything - look at the top 10 links that come up in a web search. Most of them if not all will have the keywords in the url itself.

This is why I name my stores very carefully.
Hence, BigTallMensClothing = jam packed with the keywords to the product I sell. A google search for Big Tall Mens Clothing will bring me up on page 2 top spot on google. I used to be #3 on page one - not sure what I did to make me move down but it's still pretty damn good placement!
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right BigTall. I did a search on "Old China Dish" just now for my new store (OldChinaDishShop), which has only been open a month, and it comes up on page 3 of google, about number 28 out of 30, which I think is pretty good, considering the short time it has been open. Vintage Moonbeams comes up on page one, but maybe no one would be searching for Vintage Moonbeams?

If there are other ideas about store names, please let me know. I have another store in mind, but have to finish taxes, then get the new china shop stocked first.

Every store name that I come up with for another store is longer than 20 characters, and I am wondering if that is bad?

Thanks again!

VintageMoonbams
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 stores and they have 31, 30, 18 and 17 letters in the names not counting spaces, ecrater, www. etc.

The store with the 30 letter name does the most business, the 17 does the next and the 31 and 18 do almost no business. They have the names that would be most descriptive of their contents.

I don't think entering the exact title of your store is in dicative of anything. If you enter the exact title of anything it will come up. The point is where do you appear if you don't enter the exact title or if you enter generic terms for your inventory, does your store show up?

In all probability your Old China Dish store showed up because people enter china dish in the search engine, not old china dish. China is a huge category on the internet.
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think entering the exact title of your store is in dicative of anything.

That's true.
BUT in my case - which is what I was trying to explain - my store name is exactly what big tall guys search when trying to find an online store that sells clothing for them.

I don't know what a Vintage Moonbeam is - or how often it is searched.

My point being
IF your store name is SEARCHED keywords
then you have the best of both worlds

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
Quote:
I don't think entering the exact title of your store is in dicative of anything.

That's true.
BUT in my case - which is what I was trying to explain - my store name is exactly what big tall guys search when trying to find an online store that sells clothing for them.
My point being
IF your store name is SEARCHED keywords
then you have the best of both worlds

I was referring to Vintage moonbeams entering Old China Dish.
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I know and I was trying to explain the difference between why I can search my name and it's ok but searching vintage moonbeams makes no sense.
At least old china dish makes a little sense bcause if I was trying to match an old china dish of grandma's I would probably start with the words old china dish until I found more information about the name, company etc of the piece I have or need
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning to all! I agree that Vintage Moonbeams is probably not anything one would search on. I have picked up some valuable tips since I came here, which I thankfully used when I named the OldChinaDishShop recently. At least the store name OldChinaDishShop is totally related to the products sold there, so maybe that is advantageous to search engines? When I key in "China Dish Shop" on google, it comes up on page one.

However, I am still wondering how critical all of this store name stuff really is, since the title only comes up if those exact words are searched? I am still taking baby steps on all of this search engine stuff, so I need lots of guidance.

I think I remember reading that one of the search engines - maybe MSN - has trouble reading long store names? Maybe I don't need to worry about the length? It seems like every name that I come up with using the key words I like is longer that I want to use.

I have not yet found the new store name that really "clicks" for me. My product line is difficult, since it will be eclectic and varied vintage, collectibles, etc..

I have noticed when I searched by product key words that some of my products were receiving very good placement on Google on both my stores, so that is a good thing! I just looked at "Royal Doulton Somerset" and "Haviland Limoges Autumn Leaf", both from the Old China Dish Shop come up on page one and two of Google search. It must really be the key words from the titles that bring these up? Products with manufacturer name and pattern name most likely come up easier if you use these, because I think that would be how I would search if I were looking for these items.

Thanks for your ideas, which are always appreciated!

Enjoy your Saturday!

VintageMoonbeams

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key words in titles are everything in my estimation. That's why it never ceases to amaze me how many sellers think they are being clever and unique with their one dumb word titles or titles that sound like losers for the latest Ben and Jerry's flavor name.

Vintage Moonbeams may not refer to anything but it is memorable. It sticks in the mind and has pleasant connotations. And you do have a pretty good idea that you won't find new drop-shipped catalogue stuff in the shop.

Cuppa Tea remains my all-time favorite that I've seen on ecrater. You have a very good idea what she sells when you see the name, and it is short and catchy.

There are many clever names here. Some appropriate to their inventory and others just plain clever. What bugs me are the ones that call themselves Joey's Mommy or JoJeJi that being the first 2 letters of each child or pet's names. No one except the store owner will ever keep that straight. For repeat business you need a name people will remember.
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keywords are the key withing hte products themselves. My lastest information says the main keywords should be int he title and 2-3 times in the description if possible.
And of course in the meta tags.

Stores names with key words adds value to the relevance of the store as a whole. Like you shouldn't be selling skinny girls clothing in a store witha url of BigTallMensClothing -- that makes no sense at all. ANd in no way will help!
Just like cutesy names - they might be cute and memoriable
but they add nothing to the relevance factor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: