SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Any Smokers here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thepatternpalace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:
I am very good at opening mouth and letting thoughts out.

I was standing at a customer service counter in a store (only place you can buy tobacco here) and a woman handed over a $20 to pay for her cigarettes. She was getting no change back.

I said if you just set fire to the 20 it will be better for you.

I thought she was going to hit me.

lol I wouldn't have hit you but would have been offended and let you know.

I smoke and completely understand not smoking in public or near anyone else. I don't even smoke in my house.

Smoking is a bad habit and I consider it to be a fault of mine but I don't walk up to strangers and bring their faults to their attention and I don't appreciate people doing it to me. I think it's incredibly rude.

Back to the original question.....I smoke the cheapest full flavor 100's I can find and currently in my area that is the Wildhorse 100's which are about $21.00 per carton.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
mugzinnys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: I hate cigarette Reply with quote

I smoked for thirty-five years tried to quit several time with the patch.
I found myself smoking with a patch on what a real nicotine rush. I finally quit cold turky about 8 years ago and never looked back. I had to brainwash myself into hating cigarettes, contantly thinking of all the negative things about cigs like the odor, bad breath, lung cancer,ect.ect.
And to this day I hate cigarette I do not think about cigarette and the thought of smoking again I fear. After 35 years of smoking I am afraid of cigarette I know how additive they are, I can not stand to be around a smoker.
thepatternpalace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mug..that's encouraging! So many times you hear previous smokers talking about how every single day they have wanted a cig. Almost seems pointless for me to try and quit because although I can do almost anything for a week or so...don't think I have the willpower to fight it every single day for the next 20 or so years.

Seems like I just saw something on TV...maybe in a movie but the woman was an ex-smoker and said that when she was near a man that smoked she just wanted to french kiss him and suck out all the nicotine! LOL
kjscreations

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I said if you just set fire to the 20 it will be better for you.

Sorry Maggie... But I was taught that there is NO good reason for rudeness. How would you feel if you heard someone telling an obese person they were going to die early from a heart attack. Unless you are her doctor... you have no right to be rude to others.

Quick story: while I was pregnant, I was sitting having a smoke somewhere. A RUDE stranger lady said "you shouldn't smoke while pregnant". I lifted up my legs & looked between them at her & said "you don't look like my midwife". This women turned 5 shades of red & quickly walked away.

So.... moral of the story.... don't tell others what to do!!! You may get a surprise answer! Shocked
thepatternpalace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quick story: while I was pregnant, I was sitting having a smoke somewhere. A RUDE stranger lady said "you shouldn't smoke while pregnant". I lifted up my legs & looked between them at her & said "you don't look like my midwife". This women turned 5 shades of red & quickly walked away.

OMG that was funny! I wasn't quite that brave but I did have people comment when I was pregnant and smoking. (not that I think that is the right thing to do but commenting on people's rudeness here) but I had people tell me "your baby is going to be small because you smoke" "your baby is going to be premature" and to both responses I almost always replied "well that would be a welcome change since my first two were both almost 9 lbs each and 2 weeks late.

I'm really not an advocate for smoking....I think it's a disgusting habit. I guess I just get so offended when people think it's acceptable to be rude. I had one friend's child a few months ago say "you shouldn't smoke because you smell bad and it's a bad thing to do" or something to that effect. I felt bad and agreed with him and mentioned it to the parents. They laughed and said "Oh he went easy on you....wait until he knows you better he'll really let you have it" and I'm like OMG! So not only are they rude but they're teaching their children that it's ok to be rude.

But anyway....I do hope to quit one day. I've tried the gum and the patch and I guess I just don't want to quit bad enough according to what I've read. But I'm not going to give up, I will keep trying to join the nonsmoker ranks.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit because I decided that cigarettes are now 10 TIMES what they cost when I started back in 1970. I paid $4.50 for my first carton and that was for Kools Menthol.
I figure I'll stash 100 a month (yeah right, lol)
pinknpretty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Really tired of Rudeness! Reply with quote

I smoke. I have tried many times to quit. Maybe I will someday. However, there is no reason why people should be rude. I don't go into peoples homes that have CATS and tell them that their homes smell like litter boxes. Rolling Eyes
Oh and why is smoking cigars and pipes a hobby for the rich and elegant and smoking cigarettes is just a nasty habit? That's a real mystery to me.
A long time ago a really overweight guy (a total stranger) came up to my mom at an outdoor wedding reception and told her that she shouldn't smoke that it was bad for her. It really ticked me off that someone would have the audacity to talk to my mom like that, so my reply was a simple one. I said, yes and being obese is really bad for you.
That is the one time that I really said what was on my mind and I'm happy that I did it.
thepatternpalace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Pink good for you!

The whole fat/smoker thing has always annoyed me to no end. Now I'm not cutting down fat people because at a little over 200 lbs, I'm fat and a smoker! lol

Anyway.......one church I attended you could be a Sunday School teacher if you smoked. I asked why and they said because it set a bad example for the children and your body is God's temple etc etc. So my reply was "well I would never smoke anywhere near church property and isn't being fat also a sin??" I was just "poohed" away.

My aunt is a Jehovah's Witness and she is shunned (literally) at church for being a smoker. Nothing happens to the fat people. I have a few friends that are Mormon and no smoker goes to temple but fat people get in.

It just seems to me that people take on a "self righteous" air in regards to smokers.

Heck even alcoholics have it easier....."it's not their fault, it's a disease." Same with obesity...it's "inherited"

Seems to me smoking should be included in that. If you grow up with two parents smoking and forcing you to inhale that addictive nicotine smoke...wouldn't it seem natural that you would grow up and smoke?

Actually I almost feel like that is what happened to me. I wasn't a child smoker - one time in 8th grade I had a cig but that was it. I didn't start smoking until I moved out of home to be on my own. For about a week I was just craving a cigarette....so I bought a pack and have been smoking ever since.
corporatecandywraps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mormon and no smoker goes to temple but fat people get in.

LOL... I had a friend that was "excommunicated" because she smoked AND drank COFFEE!!!! Well.... once a year they rented a whole campground for a HUGE family reunion (all mormons) & she always camped on the far end. Every morning some family member would sneak over to her camper for a cigarette & a cup of coffee so no one else would see. Laughing
pinknpretty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Hubby quit, so I never hear the end of it. Reply with quote

About 3 years ago my husband quit smoking cold turkey. He was an absolute grizzly bear to live with for a long time after that. Even now a day doesn't go by that he doesn't harp on me to quit. I guess I don't blame him for wanting me to quit, but I don't think he wants me to quit because it's bad for my health. He wants me to quit because now he thinks it stinks and it does.
I grew up in a house where my mom smoked constantly so maybe it is inherited or contagious or something to that effect. I doubt if anyone has made a study of that. Husbands parents didn't smoke so maybe it was easier for him to quit.
As far as second hand smoke goes. It didn't seem to effect the lives of our cat (she did her duty outside, no box) and our dog. Our cat lived to be 20 and was never sick. We had to have her put to sleep because she got to the point where she would "go" whereever she felt like. Not cool. Our dog was 19 and she was only sick once with a cold I think, but not sick enought to go to the vet. We had to have her put down too because she just quit eating. So very sad, I miss them both.
I don't think anyone has done a study of that either.
Enough of my ramblings. Work to do.
thelittledame

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband and I smoke winston hard pack, we buy 10 cartons at one
time and pay $36.00 a carton. smoking and drinking pepsi are the only two vices I have in the world. each person has to walk down thier own path and as far as Maggie being rude, she is blunt and honest. A person can take that $20 remark and laugh and then say "you know what, you maybe right" It's all in how you look at things, we need people like Maggie in our world and we need each and everyone of you in our world. Let us look for the postive in each other.
barginbin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have smoked for twenty years and I pay 38.95 plus tax for a carton in Iowa. I will quit if and when I want to and as for as the effect on others, to bad so sad. I don't tell anyone else how to live their life and I wish they would give me the same respect. I don't eat out anymore because I can't smoke and When I had surgery last month I signed my self out the same day to have a cigerette. You can complain all you want about the health effects to non smokers but until the water is clean, the air is clean and companies quit dumping in our oceans, my cigeretts are not making that much of a problem. My daughter has a rare birthdefect due to pesticides in the soil so.... whats worse? Why is no one harping on that? Why is no one taxing that? At least it wouldn't put thousands out of work as the cigerette co's move to mexico. My sister lives near Charlotte NC and Phillip Morris has laid off thousands and the economy out there sucks!
wholesalebottlesandmore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACREAD, that picture hits me very hard and I hope it does others too. Not have smoked myself, I have so many siblings, mother, ex, and friends that do. I say this with that picture in my head and tears in my eyes, "If you can, please try to quit". Your friends and family will be so happy you did. I don't mean to lecture and am not judging I just know the heartache it causes people that care and love their loved ones that do and fall ill. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
bthomas2009

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoke i roll my own Amber leaf i live in the uk 25g is just under a fiver but im giving up soon especially as my wife did 8 months ago and keeps banging on about it also they keep showing these adverts on tv that kinda do ya head in also on the packets you get them health warnings all over them although one i read today says smoking can decrease fertility well i just had child number 4 and my dad had 12 kinda glad i took up smoking otherwise i may of had my own army by now lol Laughing
Seamless-Switchplates

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 in 4 Americans smoke. They are going to raise the price another $1 a pack. Someone I am very close to (but thankfully do not live with Smile smokes camel non filters like it's a religion. Hopefully they'll keep increasing the taxes so that this person can't afford to smoke anymore and has to find a healthier way to relieve stress and relax.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: