eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google ads pulling business away from my store
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samplecontainerstore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Google ads pulling business away from my store Reply with quote

I see that there are now Google ads in my listings that are advertising for other online merchants. Is there any way to get these taken off or is it part of useing the free market place? I do not think it is fair to have a customer pulled from my store to another online merchant because they are paying Google for Advertising. Anyone else have an issue with this?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please read: http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=16812
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you ordering your products from a drop shipper or do you have them in stock?

Before you jump to conclusions about the ads taking away from your business, consider how many times you have clicked on a Google ad. Me, about twice and never from a selling site. It is much more likely that you are experiencing the economic meltdown. People who need your product may be cutting back because their sales are down.
asaneagifts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Samplecontainerstore! Thanks for bringing up the the issue on the use of Google ads in Ecrater store listings. It is true that sales may be slow due to the poor economy as opposed to being a direct result of the addition of Google ads. On the other hand, having competitor ads displayed right in our listings does not help Ecrater store owners either.

The responsibility of bringing traffic to Ecrater stores falls onto the store owners and not Ecrater. Hence, IMHO, we should have the option to choose whether we would like to display Google Ads in our store listings. After all, we are using our own resources, time and money to bring traffic to our store so that our products can be seen and not the competitors' ads. I am tempted to think that many of us share the same preference... But we understand that there will be store owners who beg to differ. And that's perfectly fine. Laughing

We also understand that Ecrater is free. Hence, there are certain policies or processes we must accept if we were to continue to operate an Ecrater store. And if in the case, we disagreed with a policy or process, we always have other options we can transfer our products to. However, to date, we've found the Ecrater community to be a great one and very responsive to member comments and needs. So this is just our 2 cents worth! Cool

Cheers!
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asaneagifts wrote:

The responsibility of bringing traffic to Ecrater stores falls onto the store owners and not Ecrater. Hence, IMHO, we should have the option to choose whether we would like to display Google Ads in our store listings. After all, we are using our own resources, time and money to bring traffic to our store so that our products can be seen and not the competitors' ads. I am tempted to think that many of us share the same preference... But we understand that there will be store owners who beg to differ. And that's perfectly fine. Laughing

You do have the option of eliminating ads from your store IF you follow what is posted here - http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=16812
samplecontainerstore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: I never said my sales were slow. Reply with quote

I never said nor am I saying my business is hurting! It is quite the opposite in the past few months. But I do not think it is fair that I do pay for Google ads to get the business in my store only to go to a listing that has direct competitors ad listed for that item. Which I would click on to see if the price was better, thus taking that buyer directly to the competitors site and leaving mine. I worked last night after reading some other post on this matter and I still can not get one of the ads off my door knob bags listing. I have re-categorized them and nothing is taking it off. I'm not a drop shipper and I always try to post in the correct category, problem is that my items do not have a specific category. I think I read that we could suggest categories, is this correct?
aspencounty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to comment on the Adwords issue. That's Ecrater's business and I can take it or leave it.

BUT

Two ad units on a page is a bit much not to mention it really messes with the "flow" of the page. Got to wonder about it now???

bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspencounty - I'm checking on this for you
aspencounty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
aspencounty - I'm checking on this for you

Thanks.
acread

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspencounty the new feature just got turned on. There may be bugs yet.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bug.
That is how Dimitri wants it to appear.
acread

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad looks a bit cluttered up.
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned by both ACRead and BigTallMensClothing, the link they gave above will tell you how to remove these ads from your store. I just finished this morning going through one of my stores (about 300 items) and checking for these ads. I had some because I used a main/global eCRATER category, and I changed those which removed the ads immediately.

Here is a discussion about this that might be helpful.

http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=16811&highlight=

Have a great day!

VintageMoonbeams
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspen, looks like you are getting a double whammy. Once because you use a drop shipper and once because evidently the items are not in the right sub category or you don't pay attention to your store. Not judging. Just how it looks. Although that bird sure looks like a bird feeder to me which is where you have it.
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
the items are not in the right sub category ... Although that bird sure looks like a bird feeder to me which is where you have it.

Remember, that the category showing at the top of your item listing in your store is your own store category that you created. The category that affects the google ads is the eCRATER main/global category, which you do not see on the listing.

AspenCounty, I just looked at your store and it looks like you are doing great at getting the ads out of your listings.

SampleContainer, it looks like your google ads are also disappearing from your store.

Have a great evening!

VintageMoonbeams
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: