eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google ads pulling business away from my store
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aspencounty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
It's not a bug.
That is how Dimitri wants it to appear.

That's regrettable.

Just so you know, what I'm about to say is not directed toward you guys. There are some really great folks here but this issue has helped me make up my mind. Due to my business model (drop shipping), I have been trying to figure out a more efficient system to use with Ecrater and I have had my stores on hold for some time. Also knowing that Ecrater has and is making changes, I have been waiting to see how this would affect things as well and at this point it looks very disappointing.

Slavov has shown from the very beginning he holds drop shippers in pretty low esteem and this certainly seems like another quiver in the back. I mean lets face it, when your product pages are plastered with those gawd awful Adsense units I'm pretty sure most potential buyers will figure you are not very professional and move on. I'm not comparing myself with the the big online stores but you will never see their stores display stuff like that, especially right on the product pages them selves. It makes it looks very unprofessional and like you are waiting for a few crumbs to fall off the table...or maybe someone will slip and click an add by mistake and you will make 2 cents.

Having said that, I can understand stand the need to monetize Ecrater. I have often wondered how long he could continue to operate without a sufficient revenue stream. I was glad Ecrater was making some income off the Google Checkout thing and I didn't have a problem with the Adwords stuff showing on my pages within Ecrater.

I hope Ecrater can generate revenue from his little Adsense campaign (although I believe it will backfire on him) but it's something that's coming at someone else expense. We do the work setting our business up, listing our products and doing the best we can to bring visitors into our stores. For me personally and due to the nature of the type stuff I sell, it's a hard road anyway without having another obstacle thrown in my face.

Now I know some will say well, it's still a free site (IMO not exactly) and the adds aren't that big a deal. Sorry folks but to me it is. What I find particularly disturbing is this "using stock photos after it has been flagged by our team" which is aimed directly at drop shippers since 99.9% of us use stock photos. Drop shipping has been my business model of choice for years and I honestly thought Ecarter had matured beyond the whole drop shipper/stock image thing but I guess I was wrong.

Again, this is in no way directed towards you guys. There's a terrific group of people here and I enjoy reading your comments and sharing ideas with you and I wish each and every one of you boundless success.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspen, you say your store is on hold and has been for some time. From what I understand that is probably why you get the extra ads.

you've been really helpful to me at times so please accept what I say in good spirit, but seems as long as I can remember on ecrater your store has been on hold or had nothing in it.

Question: If your store is on hold what difference does it make if it is brimming over with ads? You aren't planning to sell anything anyway. Ignore the store and the ads and just enjoy hanging out with us here. Isn't that what you've been doing all along? Laughing
acread

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspencounty I've been looking in your store. I don't see any Google Ads in this product http://aspencounty.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1937885 Which makes me think vintagemoonbeams said it correctly that some of your items were in the wrong category or had small images maybe. Did you read: http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=16812 ?

I'm guessing the google ads in your store are not because of dropshipping. If that is the case you can focus the promoting and advertising on your store and well eCrater always displayed the Google Ads on their site, so that won't be different. And now the Google Shopping leads directly to each stores pages instead of eCrater, so that won't effect much.

I'm not trying to marginalize things. Just trying to point out maybe it is still salvagable. What do you think?
aspencounty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thunderstorm moving in and I need to shut my stuff down for awhile but I'll be back...figure I got some splaining to do Wink
acread

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK safety first.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspencounty - Since your store is hold I can not cheat and use the MOD tool to see if you have items in the main categories or not.
BUT as others pointed out, some of your items do not have them
within your store listings.
SO you are seeing ads because of one of these reasons -
Quote:

- listing in the main categories (there are some exceptions here)
- using stock photos after it has been flagged by our team
- no product photo or photo is too small <250
- store inactivity of 60 days

Now I am confused -- your store because being on hold
probably isn't FLAGGED

So I don't know why that Blue Parrot Birdfeeder has ads!
aspencounty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
Aspen, you say your store is on hold and has been for some time. From what I understand that is probably why you get the extra ads.you've been really helpful to me at times so please accept what I say in good spirit, but seems as long as I can remember on ecrater your store has been on hold or had nothing in it.

Question: If your store is on hold what difference does it make if it is brimming over with ads? You aren't planning to sell anything anyway. Ignore the store and the ads and just enjoy hanging out with us here. Isn't that what you've been doing all along? Laughing

You may find this s long boring story but it will give you some idea where I'm coming from so here goes.

First let me say that I understand there a several reasons why the adds will be displays and I'm only addressing the issue I mentioned above.

@Maggie: LOL, yeah for the most part you are right. I have a bad habit of putting to many irons in the fire and not getting anything done and I have spent the better part of two years or more hanging out in the forum when I come to Ecrater and not working on my store.

Truth is I started this store for my SMC products and just by the nature of how it all works it was a greater challenge than I first thought. I finally got some stuff listed and the store opened then the darn company changed things up and half the items I had listed were on longer in stock so I put things on hold (again) figuring I needed to come up with a better inventory control to work with Ecrater....nothing more embarrassing than someone buying something that's out of stock. Got things somewhat smoothed out till around December (go figure) and things changed again and my store has been on hold since. So that's the main reason my stores has been like it is....boring story I know.

Anyway;

To the more specific issue. Some of you guys probably realize that I genuinely enjoy sharing ideas and that I get a sense of satisfaction from helping others when I can.This goes back to my central issue with the adds. See, the thing is I'm not really worried about all this so much personally but there are lots of other folks where this could potentially have a seriously impact. Maybe I should just sit down and keep quite but dog gone that's hard for me to do.

Some of you may remember a long time ago, when Moby Dick was just a minnow and Ecrater just an infant I came to the forum (excuse the language) mad as hell and pretty much flaming everyone especially Dimitar. Well, here's another boring story but may help explain my sometimes angry attitude.

I have been a drop shipping junkie for a long time and I'm convinced it's a great business model and I'm very passionate about it. During this time I was an active member of several drop shipper's forums as well as the SMC forum. The new fledgling SMC sellers were eager to get started of course and being me, I naturally offered my opinion and advice...whether ask for or not. I sort of took several new"ducklings" under my wings and tried to help them get off the ground with their new business.

I was honest with these guys and told them straight up that this was no pie in the sky, get rich overnight thing. In fact I told them that drop shipping and especially SMC was a brutal business to succeed with. Like everyone, they wanted to have a website and sell online. I had already been selling on line with modest success and I knew how hard, frustrating and sometimes disappointing it can be. I laid it out as best I could and this immediately weeded out the wimps from the warriors.

There was this one young woman that wanted to stay at home with her kids more than anything (stinking commercials make it look so easy...I hate em). I believed she was the type that was willing to put in the hard work and boy, those are the kind of people you want to help if you can.

The gal wanted a website real bad but just didn't have the finances or knowledge to build one herself.I was already familiar with Ecrater although I hadn't opened a store here myself. I though it looked like a great deal and I recommended Ecrater to lots of my fellow SMC sellers...in fact I may be partly responsible for the "abundance" of polyresin figurines you see...now that's a scary thought!

Ok, I told the gal about Ecrater and said it looks like a great way to get started and recommended she open a store. It's was about two weeks later and she actually called me at my office crying her eyes out saying something to the affect that she didn't know what to do. She said she opened her Ecarter store like I suggested but "they?" hate me and said you are a drop shipper and your stuff will never sell here, you may as well forget it. Now I don't know exactly what happened so I'm not sure if this was a response to a question or if she just read some comments on the forum.

I don't know what ever became of the young lady. I didn't figure it was appropriate to try and call her but I did send a couple of emails asking how things were going. She never answered my emails and disappeared from the SMC forum. I will stop short of saying that her experience traumatized her that badly.Perhaps she simply didn't have the metal I thought she had and took some things to personally and folded it up.

Now I have never been known for being the real sensitive type but I will admit that I did feel some what responsible and you bet, I was some kind of pissed off.

Am I just a bit touchy when it come to issues relating to drop ship? Sure, that's my business and you guys know I'm going to speak my mind. The thing this is not just about me and how I feel. There are many, many drop shippers here, in fact a few of my "ducklings" are still around. Drop shipping isn't a dirty word and most of the folks that choose this type business are honest, hard working people like everyone else and just want an equal chance on a level playing field. The adds on stock photos=drop shippers makes a hard job even that much harder for the folks busting their cans trying to make a few bucks and I have to speak my mind and say I don't feel it's fair.

Maggie, you are right. My store has become almost a hobbie and if I ever get it opened again and sell something great. If I don't, well, it's not the end of the world. Truth be know the main reason I stay is because I'm impressed with the people here. This ain't my first rodeo and I have been on lots of forums and discussion boards but I have never seen a place where so many are willing and eager to help each other out and I like that kind of stuff. Besides, some of ya are, well, cool.

Who knows, Ecrater may start making so much money from his Adsense that he starts a revenue sharing model with those stores that display adds. Wink

Wow, I don't believe I just shared my life's story. Did I miss anything?
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, that was a great read!
Quote:
Wow, I don't believe I just shared my life's story. Did I miss anything?

Yes, you forgot, to tell us your name rank and serial number
LOL
You know I think your a a great asset to this comunity and always have been even when you are fighting for what you belive is right.

Problem is - you know that WE are all sellers here just like you - only most of us that live in this forum don't us drop shippers.
BUt that don't mean we don't like you all that still have conttrol over your homes! Could be we are just jealous! lol

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, as always!

BTW, I sent you a message via your store ... email me! please
samplecontainerstore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Extreamly time consuming Reply with quote

I have had to go in and do the updates too. I also had to update some photos as they were too small and that is why I could not get them off a few listings. But boy is it time consuming Evil or Very Mad
kjscreations

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been a drop shipping junkie for a long time and I'm convinced it's a great business model and I'm very passionate about it.

A very wealthy man who lives in my mom's highrise gave me this "biz tip"... dropshipping IS a great way to make great money! Don't waste time, money & space keeping inventory, making products & dealing with shipping.
One of my candybar sites uses a dropshipper for engraved chocolate...
I can get a $400 profit for 15 min of work. Forward artwork & call them with my payment. Then I'm off to promote my sites some more.

I agree that a few DO hold dropshippers in low esteem like you said ....
but I also agree with you that it IS a great business model!!!

NOW.... the ad thing.... I have ads on my "logo" products & nothing else & everything is within "the rules" & they should not be there... so go figure.
Luckily the logos are not my main income. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: