eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How do you make it clear that you only have one of an item?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
giftswithcharm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: How do you make it clear that you only have one of an item? Reply with quote

I have added ONLY ONE AVAILABLE in capitals in my description, but it doesn't seem to matter. I just had someone purchase three of one item that I only had one of. It feels really unprofessional to have to email and say, "Gee, we only have one of those." Rolling Eyes

I really love ecrater, but wish that there was some type of inventory kept so that customers couldn't buy more items that you have in stock.

Anyway, how do you make sure your customers realize that you only have one of an item?

Thanks for any advice! Smile
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
THEFlagCompany

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a situation on my on-line store this week where someone purchased more than I had and yes, it was odd. So I have decided that the items I am low on and certainly the items where I have only one will be listed on the ebay store. I think this will work for me.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this happens to me I just email them immediately and explain that we only have one left in our inventory and that I can ship that and refund the rest of the payment or I can refund the whole payment and ship nothing.

I put REPLY NEEDED in the subject line with the order #.
cooperway4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you make it clear that you only have one of an it Reply with quote

Not only can the quantity not be set, but if someone buys an item it still shows up and someone else can come along and buy it too. I sell rare coins and comic books, so most of my items are unique. Hmm, let me see. Yep, only one 1804 Half cent from the Jules Reiver collection. Hopefully we will hear soon from ecrater. I like this too, but I'll wait to ask how this outfit makes money. Right now I just don't want to sell something to two different people.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eCrater.com has already said somewhere in these boards that they are working on a quantity option for us.
There have been very responsive to sellers needs in the past. The quantity issue I imagine is not the easy thing to add - so until then we need to be patient.

As I have mentioned before, as soon as I get a paid order I use a SOLD image - upload it and make it the default image on the item - that way the buy can still see the item once they receive the package.

then once or twice a month I go in and hide or delete all the sold items.
cooperway4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you make it clear that you only have one of an it Reply with quote

Well, my quantity is usually one. Right now I just don't give them an address to mail payment to and I don't take Paypal and require that the order be confirmed. I then email and confirm their order (or not) and provide an invoice at that time. Basically it nullifies the checkout process and turns it into an 'I'd like these items if you have them' list. Since it's all free, I can't complain, but I'd still like to hear what ecrater has to say.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since it's all free, I can't complain, but I'd still like to hear what ecrater has to say.

That's my point -- eCrater did say --- it's here in these threads somewhere. I am not taking the time to re-read them all to find it but it's here. They said they are working on it.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: How do you make it clear that you only have one of an it Reply with quote

cooperway4 wrote:
Basically it nullifies the checkout process and turns it into an 'I'd like these items if you have them' list.

This will definitely minimize your chance to get orders. "Unique items" feature is on my TODO list and will be added soon.
cooperway4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you make it clear that you only have one of an it Reply with quote

That will be fine. I haven't fully populated my store yet anyway. This will avoid confusion in the meantime and works since I don't take PayPal and payment has to be mailed in.

Thanks by the way for the free store. I've chosen to use the same ID I use everywhere. I looked at around 50 ads in coin magazines and most of them say to call and confirm orders. If anyone had bought from me since I opened the store I would have been able to immediately confirm their order and tell them it was ready for shipment. Even the US Mint requires that orders be confirmed and they don't even have unique items.

This'll keep me from having to inform someone that the item just sold to some one else on this site and mail them a refund until you have a chance to address the problem. Right now it works and I can modify it later if it seems too stifling. Right now I only have 21 items in the store so I should be concerned with listing more at this point. Thanks for posting at me and thanks again for the free store. -cooperway4
homeretreat

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: separate category for one of a kind Reply with quote

I have a category called closeouts in my store. I think subconsciously customers know that there are no guarantees there will be any in stock. How about making a separate category for one of a kind items in your sotre? That way customers know as soon as they click that they need to be cautious about ordering.

But for now how about making things explicit... mention not only in the title but also in the description that there's only one in stock and to call or email before placing an order?

Also, I was just thinking even if there was a quantity option programmed into ecrater, how reliable would it be if we didn't change the quantity in time for the buyer second in line? We would need to be on top of all our "onesies" regularly (as order basis it seems). No doubt, however, the option offers a few steps closer to making things more convenient here.

I hope this helps, and many wishes for success.
giftswithcharm

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you make it clear that you only have one of an it Reply with quote

ecrater wrote:
"Unique items" feature is on my TODO list and will be added soon.

Thank you! Smile That will definitely make my life easier!
cooperway4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Single item can be purchased multiple times. Reply with quote

Finally got a sell on eCrater and the item is still available for purchase. I guess I'll have to go back to the way I was doing it. I assumed because a quantity was added that it would prevent people from buying more than was available. Not only does this make listing high demand items dangerous it also reflects poorly on my reputation. Not to menmtion I have to reedit all my items. Is there anyway that I can help achieve this year old goal?
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Single item can be purchased multiple times. Reply with quote

cooperway4 wrote:
Finally got a sell on eCrater and the item is still available for purchase. . . . I assumed because a quantity was added that it would prevent people from buying more than was available. Not only does this make listing high demand items dangerous it also reflects poorly on my reputation. Not to menmtion I have to reedit all my items. Is there anyway that I can help achieve this year old goal?

Okay, I have to assume there are some people selling items so quickly on ecrater that they can't keep up with them. I wish I had that problem but for those of you who do, all you have to do is check your emails regularly and if you have sales, find your item in admin and mark it sold. If that isn't enough you can hide it till you are sure your buyer has received it and then delete the item.

I can't see that this is rocket science or worth making a mountain out of. If a buyer buys an item clearly marked sold, it doesn't reflect on you, it reflects on the dumb buyer.

Why do you have to edit an item you had one of? You mark it sold or hide it and be done with it. If you had 5 and sold one, when you go to admin to mark it sold, change the number available to 4.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the inventory control feature will address this issue. Most probably it will be launched on July 4th.
cooperway4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where do you mark this item sold? What part of only one is hard to comprehend? If I listed the only 2006 Three Piece 20th anniversary Silver set I have available, I guarantee more than 50 would sell by tomorrow. A penny wouldn't go for $250 unless it was in high demand. To date I just sell my high demand items elsewhere because of the difficulties this situation puts me in. I tried to change the quantity to zero but that doesn't work. I posted to find a solution to the problem, not to have someone just tell me to accept it. It is apparent that you have become content with the popularity of this site never increasing. I on the other hand cannot recommend my customers to come here to buy items that I don't have and I have only told one eBay customer I even list here. All this is a direct result of the possibility that more than one person can attempt to purchase the same item even after it has sold.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: