eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Help with sales

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bettebegoodvintage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Help with sales Reply with quote

Can someone tell me why I cannot sell anything from my store here?
I am an experience seller (11 years online) and I have all the attributes filled out and I believe the SEO is correct.
I also promote via twitter etc.

I know others do very well here, but I have not made any sales.
I sell vintage clothing.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Bette
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bette how long have you been here? It usually takes some time for your listings to get out and about. Also, if my math is correct, you only have 14 items listed. That is barely a drop in the bucket of used vintage clothes available for sale out in the cyberworld. Those 14 items may be nice, but if they aren't what the buyer wants, they are going to take a pass. You need a whole lot more items listed. a whole lot more promotions or all types, etc.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

selling on ecrater is having your own store. It's yoru job as the store owner to bring in your shoppers/buyers.
So the question is ... what have you done to find your buyers?

You have more ZERO categories then you have categories with products listed. MIGHT Makes the shopper think you are going out of business.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bette I think Moonwishes hit the nail on the head. Your home page says you have hundreds of items to list but you only have 18. I would really try to get at least 100 items on before you worry about sales. You also want to get those items up in plenty of time for xmas shopping.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't think the number of items matters. I have a few stores with less then 50 items. one with 26 and one with 24. both make sales
both have been submitted to search engines and can be found on them.

Having empty cateogies ... is sort of like keyword spamming.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT- The seller here appears to be very new to ecrater and has very few items in a few categories with apparently more to come. If she has had only less than 20 items listed for a week, I wouldn't expect her to be getting sales at all yet. If she has been open several months however with the same amount of goods available, she needs to get busy listing. It takes awhile for promotions and marketing to get out. Not sure what sites you have that get regular sales with so few items, but I would suspect it is either new goods or highly sought for used items. Trying to sell used items, especially clothing, with little to choose from makes it even more difficult. It is the difference with going to a yard sale with 20 things set around or the one next door that has 100's. Most of use probably wouldn't waste our time going to the yard sale with 20 things unless something truly caught our eye as we drove by. We would focus on the sale with lots of stuff.

For my own store I found that as I listed more and more, my sales grew exponentially. It stands to reason. Wal-Mart gets more sales than the corner store as it has a bigger variety and that is without factoring in the prices.

You are correct though, that a store owner needs to promote and market their store along with the listing, etc. They also have to know whether they are doing this as a way to get rid of excess stuff, as a hobby or as a business that they want to see grow. As I have been slammed enough on these forums for being too business minded, I won't get into that, but I think it has a direct impact on what kind of sales a seller will have.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never add a category until I have the product read to list in it.

empty categories are not a good thing.
Don't matter if you have 4 or 4000 listings.

My store with 26 items, is all used stuff. Had it's first sale within a few days. Sold a few more things from in over the next few weeks.
bettebegoodvintage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all very much for the advise. I have been selling professionally since 1994 as a antique and vintage clothing dealer so this is not a hobby.

Thanks for the tip about the empty categories. I didn't realize this would be a detriment. I will try to get at least one piece listed in each.

I do have a very busy personal life, but who doesn't. So no excuse.

One question: which brings in the sales, google etc or internal searches?

I appreciate the advise.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It is a combination of many things. your products, your prices, your promoting, how you market. Don't depend on any one thing to bring in sales as that could make you lose sales in other areas. Ecrater doesn't do any promoting itself so you need to promote your own store yourself. Use blogs, websites, facebook, twitter, forums about your product or where people who want your product hang out, etc.

As you have been seeling for a long while, what were you doing before to get sales? If you were just selling on ebay, many sellers there didn't ever think about promoting their own store. Here you have to.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge I have had one definite and one I think sales to eCRATER sellers in over 5 years here. If others have purchased from me they haven't identified themselves as such.

I have no stats but generally I don't think people think of eCRATER as a place to go shopping. They are more likely to pick up a link to an item via an external link.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bettebegoodvintage wrote:

NEITHER in my opinion. YOU have to market your store. You need to bring in the sales.
The days of list it on the internet, it will sell ended about 11 years ago.
bettebegoodvintage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I have a flickr page, I tweet,blog and post on a vintage fashion forum. I also have a landing page for Bette Be Good Vintage and a domain name.

I will fill up my shop as soon as I can.

I was just curious about the internal search.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: