eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

MAN, that USPS increase is painful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liskidder wrote:
Right, but I think you're actually unable to print the thinner package mailing labels from Paypal because USPS isn't offering a delivery confirmation option for that. I think Paypal is forcing you to use the thicker ones.

Yeah, it's really weird. Almost everything I ship is in bubble mailers and I knew that -- because I put a piece of cardboard in each mailer -- that I'd have to be using the package rates. So I went to PayPal yesterday and was looking for what I had to indicate to make sure it's a "package" but I didn't have to indicate anything!

"Package" is now the default at PayPal. The weird thing is that none of the PayPal dropdown options have changed -- it was always First Class Parcel with "Package(/something)" as the lowest tier. It's just that now it really means what it says..

So, the thing is that anybody whose very light envelopes qualify as "letters" and not "packages" can do their shipping for cheaper at the PO counter. Or maybe even through one of the other services like Endicia but I don't know...

I do know that my packages up to 4 oz. are going to be cheaper to ship to Canada than within the US.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, the thing is that anybody whose very light envelopes qualify as "letters" and not "packages" can do their shipping for cheaper at the PO counter. Or maybe even through one of the other services like Endicia but I don't know...

NOT if they want or need delivery confirmation on it
Using Endicia if you select envelope - you can not use eDC.
According the the smart folks at the PO (cough cough), only packages can have delivery confirmation on them now. Packages with a thickness of at least 3/4 of an inch.
Technically a priority envelope that is NOT 3/4" can NOT have eDC on it.
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye gods, made it through the line of 4-5 people in 38 MINUTES on my lunch HOUR today, YUCK! The prices didn't scare me off, I already added $$$ to the most of my listings, and people are still snapping stuff up.

I really don't know if I can handle this long line thing, I have no idea how long it will take them to get their act together, if ever, and streamline this more. I can't spend every lunch hour of every week day in line!

My postmaster, who understands my predicament, is going to check into the possibility that packages can be picked up Click N Ship and scanned in at the PO before going out. I told him, I don't think they do it, but he will get back to me, he's a long timer there, and an old buddy.
EverythingNice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
2BOYSandTOYS

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all....just some hip-pocket information for you...

IF you have the ability to use Federal Express ground service, and you're shipping 'lbs', you may want to compare - both domestic and international.

I had an inquiry on freight to Canada for a 5 lb. product. The USPS (new rates) will be $21-$24 - depending upon if it will fit in a flat-rate box or not.

The FedEx International Ground service is $16 +/-.

Just good to know information if you've got access to FedEx Ground Delivery. Also, all items are auto-insured, and you can track the entire way to the customer. Shipping interval for this item is as follows:

USPS - 6-10 Days
FedEx Int. Ground - end of day - 3 business days

Just FYI!! Shocked Very Happy Happy Sales -

Erin
rcfcomputing

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was alerted by a buyer that UPS and FedEx charge exhorbitant brokerage fees on their ground service to Canada. Sure it looks cheaper on paper, but once all the fees kick in, it's more expensive than the USPS service which only charges a small brokerage fee.

I did some googling for UPS brokerage fee Canada (and variations) and came up with lots of websites complaining about the practice. According to my buyer (and those forums), if you're a buyer in Canada, always try to get the seller to ship USPS. If they won't offer it, don't buy it.

A little FYI.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the actual shipping costs can be cheaper but the buyer gets hit with the extra fees once it crosses the border...
2BOYSandTOYS

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....shows ya what I know - what exactly are brokerage fees? (call me clueless in kansas.... Embarassed )!!

I'll have to google too - but, the whole 'new process' in way too complicated! Confused
watercolor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just trying to change all of my listings on several sites to adjust for the shipping increases. It is going to take me a long time as I have to change each listing one at a time. I just read on another forum that if you rotate your labels the wrong way or make the print too small that would make the package irregular and could cost more to ship. I just emailed a customer to
warn them that they may have to pay extra charges on one of my packages, in which case I will refund it back to them. I hope USPS does not ship it back to me as the customer needs it ASAP! What a headache!

leslie
Buytime

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watercolor wrote:
I am just trying to change all of my listings on several sites to adjust for the shipping increases. It is going to take me a long time as I have to change each listing one at a time.

leslie

Thats why I thank God we decided to use the shipping Matrix for all
of our stores.
Very easy to change shipping fees
Buytime

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wanted to see how bad thing where myself. We got an order late last night for a rather large item. Its not a heavy item, but it is larger than average in Dimension, So I decided to take it to the post office and check shipping myself.,

Before hand I stopped off at the FedEx center thats just a block from my home. Here is the best rate I was quoted.

Its an in-state package
Fedex home delivery in 1 business day
$7.22

told them I would return and went over to the Post Office.

USPS Priority Delivery in 2-3 Days
$14.35

Needless to say it went out by FedEx
eskiepages

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my turn in the lineup today....my first package sent out since the new rates went into effect. Line wasn't bad, so got through in good time. I noticed the one clerk had a plastic tool that they check letters and other items with. I didn't see it up close, but it looked like just a thick plastic board...probably around 8x10 inches or so, and has a slot in it....probably 1/4" thick I'd gather. He just slid an envelope through it to check....it made it so the lady in front of me was happy. I assume if it fails the "slot test" it's like getting the jokers on joker's wild!

Anyway....I pretty much have one choice for shipping...USPS....as Fedex is not within reasonable driving distance. They do deliver, but shipping with them isn't easy for me. UPS only goes through small stores here, and they usually charge a fee on top of the order and I've usually found USPS is cheaper, faster, and more reliable. Now, however, I'm not going to rule out considering them, or other options, if need be, but the USPS will still probably get most my business.

As others have said, yes, the customers have to pay the cost in the end. There's no way merchants can continue to eat postage costs in the long run. We may need to eat some excess fees in the transition period here, but we'll eventually settle on rates that work for us, and customers will either buy or not....that's life. I try to be reasonably fair with my shipping rates....so have never had problems with that.

I also ship a variety of sizes and weights, and some are domestic, some are international. I haven't shipped any international with the new rates, but will be comparing that as well along the way.

My one package I had to ship today....was a small padded envelope that weighed like 2 ounces. Just has a small item in it. I shipped a package with the same type of item last week....cost me about 63 cents last week. Since it's over the 1/4" thickness, I get nailed with the parcel rates......and the same package cost me $1.30 today! Ouch.

Still...I have almost always had good service with the post office, and hope that overall rates are tolerable, as I'll have to use them for a fair amount. I just wish they'd "worked us up" to these new rates rather than make a change like this that amounts to doubling of fees in cases.....that hurts. Will have to see how my larger packages fair later on.....
studiodusoleil

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brokerage fee is a huge fee that UPS tacks on to cover the paperwork required to get the item across the border. I will only buy if USPS is the shipper to Canada. I've been burned with a $25 charge on a $40 item.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use flat rate priority boxes for my candy bars. Much cheaper than regular priority. If I get an order for over 100 bars (i get 100 per flat rate box) STILL sending 2 flat rates is cheapper than all in 1 box. One order I sent 18 flat rate & saved the customer over $200 in shipping!
International (overseas) used to be about $28 airmail parcel post (appx 10 lbs).... now $55 priority. Doubt if I'll see much international.
BTW.... you can use all those global priority boxes you stocked up on inside out now.. Wink
I always TRY to find a silver lining Laughing
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW.... you can use all those global priority boxes you stocked up on inside out now..

NOT according to the USPS. That's a real NO NO!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: