View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never doubted it. Not for a minute.

Last edited by 2tip3py1 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is like the phrase, something like truth is stranger than fiction. Like someone catching a 5' trout!

I think they have a lot of trout fishing in the creeks around here. I've gone fishing only once in my life, back in California. Dead boring and I didn't catch a thing. But when I see what the water in Lake Erie looks like, I wouldn't be too desirous of eating anything from it. Sad
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rivers, creeks, streams and ponds I fish are sparkling clean waters, deep in the woods, trout, brim, small bass. All you have to do, pick up any natural bug, crickets, grass hoppers, leafhoppers, even flies - put on the hook, cast and in few minutes, you'll have supper, 1 or 2 pound is large fish for the area, I'm happy to catch 10 or 12 oz., with some beans and fried wild onions, little salt - pepper, and cup coffee. That's the life for me.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are snow locked here. No-way will we risk a vehicle to get up the hill to our USPS. Looks like everything is shut down about 5 days or until 2/20/21. The state just does not have the equipment for this - at this point about foot of snow, it only snows like this about every 10 or 20 years, we usually get around 3 to 8 inches.

They can keep the major HWY's open, however, we folks back here in the woods, they say to us "good luck, but, you're on our own". So far, we have not had to switch over to generator. With wind chill factor it is 1 degree here. And expected to be colder tomorrow; with another 6 to 12 inches snow coming, no big deal, me and ole Tip there; we have the heater cranked up and electric blanket out.

I think it prudent to put everything on hold, for few days. The 50 degree days (starting next week) will take care of the snow. I see this as a good covid lock down thing.

Oh yea, one other thing - Moon - A VERY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU AND YOUR HUBBY
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I agree so much with you about electric blankets. I also have a cape/shawl like item with sherpa on the inside and fleece on the outside and it heats up like an electric blanket. So cozy. We generally keep our thermostat fairly low, but with my RA, I can't let my joints get cold as I would lock up and have pain and an inability to do much. We heat with propane which is expensive with a capital E! We are anticipating a snowfall over the next 24 hours of 8-11". Thankfully the roads people do the best they can, but that sort of snowfall is problematic as we would need our driveway plowed and the path to the car shoveled, so storms are always pricey for us.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know what you mean, propane is high these days. I'm on natural city gas, I do have old butane tank from days before city gas. Hope it is still functional.

Have old generator, it saved my bacon few times, for day or 2. It will power freezer, refrigerator, one TV, one computer, 4 sixty watt light bulbs, central heat/air... It can burn $30 a day. Hope I don't need it, another round of snow is coming. If trees start breaking - falling, out goes the power. The longest, I've been without city power, 16 days, in 03 or 04 an ice storm came through. Took 2 days to get the generator up and running, busted water lines everywhere. I'm ready this time.

I have to keep the heat up, busted water pipes and the such, real problem at my age.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are at minus 2 right now. Driveway and street all clean, they plow at .000000001 inches around here lake effect snow, our private little snowstorm. Backyard, got snowblower made paths for the dog. Got a new battery for the car BEFORE it got cold like 2 weeks ago, it was getting sluggish at 30 degrees, it would have never of made it.

It will be warmer sat and monday, 30 to 38 !!!!

Plus I was thinking if you did get one of those installed generators ,Generac, might be a good investment for a household , they run on natural gas.
So you could have cold beer in a hot room with cooked food watching TV, while everyone else is fighting to survive. Razz

Wow it's minus 8 now.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A generator is wise, consider what is important to run, and buy according. I have this old 12,000 surge watt and about 10,000 running wats, it powers all necessities at less that 50% of its total power. I'm thinking about getting a new one for myself, they're under 1000.00 dollars, but you will need other stuff too. Cabling, circuit breaker box work, but it's worth it to me. I too, believe Generac is top of the line. And like mine only has to be serviced every 48 hours of run time. Runs on natural gas and is all automatic. With my system, I have to go outside to switch off from the grid, and start the generator, not to big hassle, but automatic would be better.

We've broke all past cold and snow records, there's no-way I'm digging out, just waiting to warm up, (at one point) we were -20, it's up to 8 degrees, with almost 2 feet of snow, our local news is predicting another 2 to 6 inches. I'm still on city power. But, the Power Company is cutting power off - 1 hour intervals to protect the grid. I have cracked faucet outside, it has bubble of frozen water formed on it. We're suppose to be around 50 degrees Monday. I bet it's gonna be muddy

What strange times we're in. Ole Tip and I; plenty warm with plenty to cook. He loves cooking, we been cooking since this started, pies, beans, eggs, bacon, we even made Jacques Pepin's bread in a pot, it turned out; kind of OK with little butter and jelly on it. We're gonna make spaghetti with Ragu sauce and ground meat today. We have plenty DVD movies to watch. Cool

10:00am - We're up to 11 degrees, these temperatures are unheard of in this area. we normally around 20 degrees, with few inches of snow, I know that's cold, but, the past day has been dangerously cold.

Reminds me of the movie ((the day after tomorrow)) with Dennis Quaid.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the cold core of this is past by now, now we still have cold nights ahead for another week. Probably some snow around but enough to be nagging.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived here off and on my entire life, I have never seen a winter like this (not in this area). We're nearing normal lows almost 22 degrees, but now they are predicting another 4 to 12 inches of snow, by end of Thursday. Local news also predicts, it will blow over us by Friday morning. Friday will be mid 30's Saturday high 30's; steadily climbing to high 50's by Monday; Tuesday near 60 degrees. Strange weather.

Pretty sure, I will have to shut the water off, fix one outdoor faucet. I still have hot and cold water inside, thank God. And we're warm with plenty food. I'm hoping to get out Saturday. Or at least get out more than letting ole Tip out 3 or 4 times daily. I've not used the generator, so far, again thank God.

I try to be ready for these things, I have really good outdoor OTA antenna it gets 20 or so channels (all local stuff), FOX, CBS, NBS, ABC, ESPN, PBS, The CW, Univision - all local broadcasts and news, and it is absolutely free (once it is set up).

I'll tell you the best DVR is ((channel master DVR+)) for recording OTA channels, Walmart has the best OTA antenna, you can do it for under 300.00 dollars and never pay for TV again. All my TV, internet, and phone is less than 110.00 month. That includes wi-fi which gets me 1000's, and 1000's and 1000's of TV movie viewing stuff. Folks that live in big metro areas get as many as 60 local channels, and millions with their wi-fi, for less than I am paying.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully we never got the big dump of snow that they warned us about. Lake Erie hadn't shown any desire to freeze over this year or even to freeze a little, but I did notice last week that what I could see from a hill about 6 miles away that the shore line was freezing over. On winters that it freezes completely then we lose 'Lake Effect' snow. The Lake Effect comes about from going over that body of water along with the other Great Lakes.

We have had a generator that uses gas, but for some reason my husband had to do something and it made it non-functional. It works on gasoline. We have no natural gas out our way (don't I wish we did). We buy propane and when heading out to the store the other day I saw their notice that they had been here. We still have over 500 gallons from our prepay, so unless the end of February and then March it turns into Antarctica, we should not have to buy anymore until September. Our Prebuy is the same month as school taxes are due. Crying or Very sad and the propane is usually about $2000 for the year.

A couple years back on New Year's weekend, the guy came and delivered to my in-laws next door, completely passed us by and we ran out of propane by 5 PM that same day, Friday. Couldn't get anyone on the the phone the whole long weekend and when we did at the crack of dawn on Tuesday, I told him we were out. Now when you do prebuy, it is their job to be sure we don't run out. They didn't show up until 4PM! We had been heating all weekend with a space heater as well as the oven on as we still have electric and my electric blanket on the bed. We now have three more space heaters. But I gave the boss a piece of my mind especially when the electric bill came in at double usual. He came over personally and apologized and said of course that shouldn't have happened and gave us his number if problems like that happened again and then gave us a $250 credit on our propane. That wasn't fun. Although working in the office with space heat on, the computers generating heat, etc. it was actually warm in there until you opened the door.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we are going to thaw out, probably gonna be lot mud. 32 degrees today, tomorrow is predicted to be 35, Saturday 41, Monday 50, Sunday 60. I'm sure it will be very humid. Steam rising from the ground like swamp, oh joy, I can't wait. Rolling Eyes

And I'll have fix that frozen facet. Sad

I need get the store back on, and add few items. Smile
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We crawled out today, went to the local grocery store, (12 miles one way) Ole Tip was running low on groceries.

I'm ashamed to tell, but I will, he only eats baked chicken, and he is real partial to boiled corned beef, but in a scrape he will eat ground deer or beef if I prepare it right.

I always mix in little fresh celery, and fresh green beans. He likes that.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip sounds like a well loved and pampered pooch.

Our driveway can't be driven into due to the build up from the snow plows. My in-laws had a guy come and plow both driveways (we used part of one of their driveways) and thought he would continues for us for pay of course. He has not responded to any phone calls to come and plow so hubby has given up. My husband has had heart trouble in the past, so for him to do the heavy digging, isn't going to happen and we don't have the funds to pay big bucks to get us plowed out every time we get a big dump of snow. This is the first winter where I have heard my husband admit that for a chance to go down south and leave this snow behind he would love to do. As he built our house he has always said he would never move. I personally would love to move where expenses are much less, like senior housing even in the area where we don't have to shovel.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: