eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Stripe asking for business website? Doesn't accept ecreater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itoldusoandso

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:56 am    Post subject: Stripe asking for business website? Doesn't accept ecreater Reply with quote

I am Canadian newbie here and just starting up. I'm only doing occasional reselling a few things here and there right now on Ebay and some books on Amazon. Since I can't use Mercari from Canada (no way even VPN doesn't work) I am checking out eCrater for the first time. You seem to me a nice community and friendly people here which is great.

Question about Stripe and their information disclorure requirements. They seem asking many more questions than I remember Paypal or Transferwise did.

If I understand correctly, there is better chance to sell if showing Stripe on the listing rather than just Paypal (which I already have). So I went through registering for Stripe. Submitted my forms etc and it seems it was accepted OK.

Question - Stripe asked me for business website. I don't really have done. It's an odd requirement they ask for it when I clearly indicate I am an individual in the application (non-business).

So I submitted my linkedin profile and it was accepted.

Later I am looking at the Public profile of me at Stripe and I can see it shows there my linkedin address in the public profile.

I don't like that idea, I am not necessary in favor having my linkedin somewhere collected to some vintage radio or pre-owned nike bag showing somerwhere where I am selling on eCrater or elsewhere. I don't mind buyer knowing where I live but I don't want buyer to see where I work. There are also abusive people in the world so I don't want to get into some issues at work if some individual starts calling my boss complaining the vintage shirt is not new enough. Not too likely to happen but you never know.

So I replaced the business website with just https://www.linkedin.com main website, not my profile link and it seems it has accepted it. I don't know if I can go away with it like that or if Stripe will come back asking me to resubmit the website again..

Anybody non-business, what do you provide to Stripe for website?

Last edited by itoldusoandso on Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
DoYouReadMe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use this:

https://itoldusoandso.ecrater.com/

That is your "business" presence.
itoldusoandso

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT[NO it doesn't work, the issue is back...) Great. So it worked now.

Initially when I was setting up Stripe, it refused the ecrater.com domain, it was telling me the domain could not be verified and when looked at their Q&A it said to use a professional profile domain instead like Linkedin.

Maybe that was just for verification of my name and such. They seem to go to great lenghts being a paranoid at Stripe but take zero responsibility if anything goes wrong in fraud issues.

Last edited by itoldusoandso on Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 5 stores here all under one Stripe account which I've been told by the community years ago can't be done but all sales from the 5 stores come through as from one store. I signed up for Stripe when ecrater first offered it to us. I don't recall being asked for a business name at the time.
itoldusoandso

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I logged into Stripe after an hour and the message says I can't use Stripe and my payments will not be allowed because the business website is invalid.

It doesn't accept my ecreater link.

Why is Stripe saying it's OK to have individual account when they ask for business site or eshop site. I am unlikely to put my linkedin profile there even they ask for it. From the comments I gather about Stripe is - don't bother contact their support unless you are owing money to Stripe.

Here is message I am getting:

We're having trouble viewing the information on your website
We require that you list a completed and operational website or other online presence for your business so that we can verify what you’re selling. To avoid having payouts to your bank account paused, please update your website by Jan 30, 2022.
DoYouReadMe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itoldusoandso wrote:
I logged into Stripe after an hour and the message says I can't use Stripe and my payments will not be allowed because the business website is invalid.

It doesn't accept my ecreater link.

Why is Stripe saying it's OK to have individual account when they ask for business site or eshop site. I am unlikely to put my linkedin profile there even they ask for it. From the comments I gather about Stripe is - don't bother contact their support unless you are owing money to Stripe.

Here is message I am getting:

We're having trouble viewing the information on your website
We require that you list a completed and operational website or other online presence for your business so that we can verify what you’re selling. To avoid having payouts to your bank account paused, please update your website by Jan 30, 2022.

Your store is on hold, I presume, because the link doesn't show your open store, so there is no business yet to speak of?
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, Welcome to eCRATER.
Unlike the other sites you've named, eCRATER is based on each seller having their own store. The seller may have sales from their store or they may have sales from the eCrater Marketplace since almost all items in eCRATER stores are also included in the eCRATER Marketplace. However, you must set up your eCRATER store in order to get started on eCRATER.

You said, "Why is Stripe saying it's OK to have individual account when they ask for business site or eshop site." Because Stripe is designed for ecommerce. Stripe allows for individual accounts just as the IRS allows for Sole Proprietorships, but it isn't designed as a way to share expenses when you and friends want to split the dinner bill or to send money to a friend like PayPal will allow. Stripe is designed for folks who want to do business on the internet either as an individual or as a partnership or corporation.

Also, I believe you've answered your own question when you posted the reply from Stripe. The reply from Stripe that you quoted states,"We require that you list a completed and operational website or other online presence for your business so that we can verify what you’re selling." When I look at your eCRATER store https://itoldusoandso.ecrater.com/ I see a "store" that has ZERO information. There is no store name or logo, no information about the store, no categories, no products offered for sale, absolutely zero information. In other words, you don't have a "completed and operational website" or "other online presence for your business so that we can verify what you’re selling". Stripe is a company to allow you to accept credit cards, but they need information you have not provided. I would strongly suggest you complete your store including adding inventory before you try to apply for a Stripe account again.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoYouReadMe wrote:
Your store is on hold, I presume, because the link doesn't show your open store, so there is no business yet to speak of?
If a store is on hold, the public can view everything the seller has added, but, all products will have the "Buy" button set to "On Hold".

For example, Lastade has a seasonal store that is open during the summer. When the store is closed, it is placed on hold. Here's a link to that store that is currently closed (on hold) so you can see what I mean. https://lastade.ecrater.com/

For those reading this, be sure to visit her winter store here: https://lastade-designs.ecrater.com/
DoYouReadMe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
DoYouReadMe wrote:
If a store is on hold, the public can view everything the seller has added, but, all products will have the "Buy" button set to "On Hold".

For example, Lastade has a seasonal store that is open during the summer. When the store is closed, it is placed on hold. Here's a link to that store that is currently closed (on hold) so you can see what I mean. https://lastade.ecrater.com/

For those reading this, be sure to visit her winter store here: https://lastade-designs.ecrater.com/

Thanks for that clarification.
I didn't really look closely, just saw the undone store, as would Stripe.
itoldusoandso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did contact Stripe yesterday after posting this by chat and they were actually responding asking me for details so I sent them my current Ebay page link to see if it satisfies them. They want to see whether I am not selling drugs or endangerared animals and such so I assume it's a formality.

I didn't know I need to have operational store before signing up for Stripe. It doesn't say anywhere I need to have all up and running before turning to Stripe. Okay I get it this is ecommerce, maybe I missed that point and I was going about this too folksy like opening ebay account.

It will take me a while before I get the stuff online so I thought to get all this configuration and settings done in the meantime. Paypal doesn't require it so I was assuming it's gonna be the same story.

I use another store name and I do have basic info such as contact, terms of sales, logo etc. but, yes no products and categories.

I see now what needs to be done so hopefully I get this up and running.

Thanks to everybody.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sheila for posting my links to my stores as an example. You are so smart about how things work! I and the other sellers appreciate you!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So good to hear that someone wants to have all the 'paperwork' done before loading the store with stuff! We do get folks that jump in the 'deep end' without doing all the prep work and then have trouble or they have to backtrack to set things up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: