eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Need help with Google Analytics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
collectiblyyours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Need help with Google Analytics Reply with quote

Hi! I've tried to figure out on Analytics how to exclude two IP addresses, but nothing I enter works. Thought I followed their instructions, I'm lost when it gets complicated!
Anyone have a working code???? Should I post the two IP address here?

Thanks, Rhea
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need to post your IP.

Now is your IP static (stays the same every time you log on to the internet) or dynamic (changes from login to login)?

If it is static it is easy to do.

If it is dynamic then you'll need to find the IP for your Gateway and use that.

You do not need to write code or anything like that.

Once you know the IP to use then:
1. Open your Analytics account
2. Click on filter manager (I'm not certain if this appear after you already entered an IP, if it does tell me if you see anything like set up filter)
3. enter filter information: give it a name (can call it "me" or "my computer" etc), select filter type as "Exclude all traffic from IP address", enter IP address (and put a backslash in front of each dot. like this: 000\.00\.000\.0 , but of course with the numbers of your IP instead of the 0's)
4. select the apply filter to website as your store address then click on the "add" button, so the site address moves to the other box (selected website profiles)
5. save changes

Last edited by acread on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about this too. Where do I find my ip address so I can set up my analytics account to exclude my visits. I have been looking for it.
Michelle
collectiblyyours

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Go to

www.ip-address.com
acread

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your IP static (stays the same every time you log on to the internet) or dynamic (changes from login to login)?

If it is static just use the following site http://whatsmyip.org/

If it is dynamic the IP you'll need to find the IP for your Default Gateway. I don't know if it is the same in all computers, but when you click on the connection icon (the one that blinks blue and black when you are connected to the internet), that will open a connection status pop-up. If you switch to the "support" tab you'll see your IP and the Gateway IP.

If you don't know whether your connection is static or dynamic just look at it at different times when you log in to the network (don't try login right after you logged out. You might get the same number assigned, and not be able to recognized if you got dynamic. Give it some time or try on different days, different hours).
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACRead wrote:
Is your IP static (stays the same every time you log on to the internet) or dynamic (changes from login to login)?

If it is static just use the following site http://whatsmyip.org/

If it is dynamic the IP you'll need to find the IP for your Default Gateway. I don't know if it is the same in all computers, but when you click on the connection icon (the one that blinks blue and black when you are connected to the internet), that will open a connection status pop-up. If you switch to the "support" tab you'll see your IP and the Gateway IP.

If you don't know whether your connection is static or dynamic just look at it at different times when you log in to the network (don't try login right after you logged out. You might get the same number assigned, and not be able to recognized if you got dynamic. Give it some time or try on different days, different hours).

ok probably another dumb question. But here goes. I don't see that blinking connection icon. I have dsl and I am always connected. I never have to sign in just open my internet explorer icon. Does that make sense. so if I go to either one of those sites will it show me my ip address. Not sure if I am static or dynamic. I use sbcglobal which is at&t.
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC I clicked the link to the ip address finder you supplied. It says an ip address on top is that really my ip address or do I have to click somewhere else in there.
acread

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlmostAntique wrote:
AC I clicked the link to the ip address finder you supplied. It says an ip address on top is that really my ip address or do I have to click somewhere else in there.

Yes, that is your IP. That's what that site displays when you open it (a separate number for everyone).
acread

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlmostAntique wrote:
ok probably another dumb question. But here goes. I don't see that blinking connection icon. I have dsl and I am always connected. I never have to sign in just open my internet explorer icon. Does that make sense. so if I go to either one of those sites will it show me my ip address. Not sure if I am static or dynamic. I use sbcglobal which is at&t.

OK, I've never used DSL, so can't guess which type would be likely for you. Since you don't need click on anything to enable your network connection, I guess that option is out.

Do this: Check the website I gave you (you might even bookmark it if it will make it easier for you). Write down the number. After you are done with using the internet and closing your computer. At a later time login again (make sure there is at least an hour maybe more time has passed. could even be another day) check the website and write the number. If it is dynamic the IP number will change every time you open the internet (that is every time you open the computer). Test it 3-5 times to make sure. If you don't see it changing, it means it is static and you can use that in filtering Google Analytics.

If it is dynamic, then you need someone elses help, I have no clue how you can figure out the Gateway IP (address). Maybe through something like "Start" ----> "control panel" ---> "network and internet connection" of your computer (that is if your computer has Windows).
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is dynamic, then you need someone elses help, I have no clue how you can figure out the Gateway IP (address). Maybe through something like "Start" ----> "control panel" ---> "network and internet connection" of your computer (that is if your computer has Windows).

I am running windows xp..

I will check that site a few more times. over the next few days
acread

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlmostAntique wrote:
Quote:

I am running windows xp..

I will check that site a few more times. over the next few days

OK do the site thing first. If it is static you'll be fine. If it is dynamic I'll try to help you with the gateway thing (hopefully). I also have an XP, but I don't have DSL. So I can't guaranty anything.
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I discovered that my dsl connection makes my ip dynamic. Could someone please help me find my ip address so I can filter out my visits.
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I found my gateway ip address. I went this route and there it was.
Start, control panel, network connections, local area connection and then clicked the support tab. There it was at the bottom of the list. I think this was a fluke cuz I am not that computer savvy. I hope this helps someone else find theirs.
Michelle

By the way. Come check out all the new arrivals I entered at

www.avonandmark4you.ecrater.com and save 10% off your order. Just mention this in your comments section at checkout so I can refund you ten percent of your order. Thanks. Spread the word.
acread

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I saw this earlier, I just looked at how you could do it and was about to post. Oh well. Glad you managed it.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: