eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How do you contact someone in charge of this site?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
secondhandsal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: How do you contact someone in charge of this site? Reply with quote

I tried the contact link, but there is nowhere for me to enter my question.

One, why are sellers putting metal art and ornaments in the native american cultures category?

Two, does that category have to be items made by just native americans?
I used to make mountain man/native american styles leather bags. I don't see anything similar listed there.
Does anyone know if these type items are allowed in that category?

TIA
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See http://www.ecrater.com/contact.php
the is a Question/Comment box there.

BUT you need to report the miscategorized items here
http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=76561
include links to the items
or you can PM them to me.

The use of the term "native americans" is federally regulated - therefore you need to follow the federal regulations when using it or putting something in a category named "native american"
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some sellers who try to list something in every category, just to get their names out there. I assure you that if there is something like metal art in cultures, it has been flagged for the owner to review and move if necessary. It just takes time for him to get to everything!
As for the Native American stuff-there is a federal law about what you can call Native American. If you're not a true Native American, don't call your stuff that-call it southwest style or something similar.
'Collectibles' is such an ambiguous term that a lot of things get listed in that entire category that shouldn't be in the subcategory chosen by the seller. A dropshipped figurine of a Confederate soldier is not historic memorabilia, a Barbie in a beaded deerskin dress is not Native American. But that's just one person's opinion and the next person will probably disagree!
secondhandsal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links

On the other place, my bags were listed under collectibles, cultures, native american.
They were listed in the title as "Leather Possibles Bag Mountain man, reenactor, black powder, Native American Style, etc." Here there isn't even a western sub category, so that's why I was wondering if I could list in the native american sub category.

That's why I wanted to contact someone to see if it was allowed.

Oh, I always had in my listings,
"My items are NOT Native American Made"
then a little info how they are all handmade by me, the materials used are from non-threatened, non endangered animals, etc.
acread

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not related, but couple of the attributes in this item: Chickweed design metal canister set with S&P shakers" are showing on the product page. You need to change "product type" to "product_type". The "design" is not supported by eCrater. For the complete list of the ones that are supported please see the list in "Promote My Store" section of your admin page.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are NOT native american, I wouldn't do it. I'm not saying they will get deleted, as Ecrater does not strictly enforce that law. However, it is possible the moderator of that category will move them if they think they are not suitable. There is also the possibility that the federal gov't will come by checking things and not like seeing non Native American items listed as such. Even using the term 'style' may not exempt you from being accused of violating the law. it's just a case of do you want to take a chance. Personally, I wouldn't!

By the way, I did a search for the metal art items you mentioned were in that category and didn't find anything. Now I'm curious about it..can you give me a link?
secondhandsal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACRead, sorry. I changed the attributes. It was one of the first I did when listing, I guess I got carried away and made a typo.

I posted a link to the metal art in the sellers only thread. It's a cowboy item that I think should be in home and garden, not native american.

If you wouldn't list in the native american category, then technically, there should be nothing there but items that are native american made. There wouldn't much there. All those resin figurines that are imports shouldn't be there then either.
acread

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secondhandsal wrote:
ACRead, sorry. I changed the attributes. It was one of the first I did when listing, I guess I got carried away and made a typo.

LOL nothing to be sorry about. They could have stayed that way. Wouldn't have harmed anything, but wouldn't have been much of a use to you that way.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those resin figurines are dropshippers and don't show up in a search...but I don't think they oughta be there, either. But that is the owner's decision.
secondhandsal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They could have stayed that way. Wouldn't have harmed anything, but wouldn't have been much of a use to you that way.

Well, if they wouldn't have been of any use, I wouldn't keep them that way, lol!
Thanks
I went through and checked several other listings and had the same error on the product type, so it made me look! Wink
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 'metal art' was a cowboy hat I feel sure was a case of the lister accidentally hitting the wrong button. Native American is right above the decorative collectible category in the list. That was probably the case with the ornament as well. Eveything else can legally go in the Native American culture category...except for the dropshipper stuff, but that's another subject. Not bad statistics for over 500 items! Apparently the moderator of that category does get rid of 'indian style' as much as possible. You probably don't want to list your things there.
secondhandsal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I can't list them on this site then Sad
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not true, there are plenty of places to list them. You can list in handcrafted items, decorative items, home decor..there are plenty of places to list them. But since you, yourself, said that those other items did not belong in Native American..shouldn't that rule apply to your things as well?
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secondhandsal wrote:
I guess I can't list them on this site then Sad

YOU can list them but not in Native American and you can't use the words Native American because the federal regulations say you can't, so you have to follow that - no matter where you sell
secondhandsal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a response from The eCRATER Team and they say I can list them in the native american category

I can post the email if that's allowed.

So who actually moniters the categories?

Quote:
YOU can list them but not in Native American and you can't use the words Native American because the federal regulations say you can't, so you have to follow that - no matter where you sell

So why on the other site do they allow them to be listed? Granted they do have a reproductions category

Even Amazon allows them.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: