eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Sending Wrong Items

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etradersplace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Sending Wrong Items Reply with quote

What do you do when your buyer notify that you have send them the wrong item, accidently. 1-1 exchange?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the very least. If it's not an expensive item, just send them the correct one and tell them to keep the other. It's an imposition for them to have to go mail something back because of a mistake the seller made.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending Wrong Items Reply with quote

etradersplace wrote:
What do you do when your buyer notify that you have send them the wrong item, accidently. 1-1 exchange?

If I send the wrong item (which I have done a few times)
I first ask them if that would like to buy the one thye received at a discounted price in addition to the correct item. If not, I have them return the wrong item to me and I put the cost of the postage to return it in the package with the correct item that I mail out only after the wrong item is returned. I also offer then a nice discount on their next purchase.
asaneagifts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexasTreasures wrote:
At the very least. If it's not an expensive item, just send them the correct one and tell them to keep the other. It's an imposition for them to have to go mail something back because of a mistake the seller made.

I think both ideas are good. However, if the item is not very expensive, I would lean more towards TexasTreasures' strategy. This is only because many people would consider it an imposition to have to return an item. This would help rectify the error and assure your customer that you have their interest in mind.

Look beyond one transaction, less $$$ earned, etc. and instead you have possibly gained a return customer. Or better yet a great referral. A valued customer is a happy customer.

http://asaneagifts.ecrater.com
http://www.squidoo.com/asaneagifts Add your Ecrater store to our Squidoo Lens and help rank the 5 stars on the lens!
http://www.squidoo.com/ecraterHQ Part 1 of Our Set Up Guide!
http://www.squidoo.com/sellonecrater Part 2 & 3 of Our Set Up Guide!
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finance wise, if the dollar value of the return postage plus the postage to ship the correct item are near or greater than the value of the item, definitely let them keep the wrong item and ship the correct one. Just remember in cases like this, the error is all yours. The buyer should not have to be out a dime because of it.

I have shipped the wrong item a couple of times. One I was able to correct immediately. The other buyer decided they liked what they received and kept it.

I just noticed that you are in Singapore and your items are fairly pricy. I doubt a buyer will be eager to trust you to return the item first. Your shipping from Singapore is considerably less than US international shipping would be.

My suggestion is to send the correct item at your expense and when the buyer receives it then ask them to return the mistaken item. If your markup is considerable I'd just ship the replacement item and write the other one off as "be more careful lesson learned."
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many, many years ago, when I was just starting and not too wise, I put the wrong addresses on two packages. When the first one wrote about it, I immediately apologized profusely, and sent each one the money to mail their package to the other...talk about feeling dumb! However, neither was upset, one thought it was funny and became a regular customer. It's all in how you handle it.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexasTreasures wrote:
Many, many years ago, when I was just starting and not too wise, I put the wrong addresses on two packages. When the first one wrote about it, I immediately apologized profusely, and sent each one the money to mail their package to the other...talk about feeling dumb! However, neither was upset, one thought it was funny and became a regular customer. It's all in how you handle it.

I too have done that.
I always make sure it's ok with both parties that I give out their address before I have them do the exchanging. One time a man refused - so I had both sent to me. ended up costing me a fortune due to all this excess postage but it was my error.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but you know you did the right thing, and I'm sure they appreciated that you were willing to take responsibility. So many people would not.
Do you ever watch Judge Judy? These kids who wreck a car, and say it's the other person's fault for being dumb enough to let them drive it..they are the future of our country. Scary isn't it?
EtchingsandCollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexasTreasures wrote:

Been there done that. Did same thing Texas did...Used their phone contact and called them...Pleasant conversation on both sales...
Cost us the extra postage....gained respect...
One of a kind items, no other way to handle it...
etradersplace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply
Like what TexasTreasure mentioned, I also get my buyers to keep the wrong item if it is not too pricy. Thereafter, I will ship out the correct item immediately and offer discounts for their next purchase.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too... have done all this before. If it's cheap enough, I tell them to keep it & say "Merry Christmas". Very Happy
somewhereinmymemories

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it before. Embarassed Usually it's been a situation where I've mixed up two orders by mistake. If they are cheap items, I allow the buyers to exchange them themselves. I reimburse both for shipping AND I also refund their original shipping, so they got free shipping on it (since they didn't get what they ordered originally!) since yes, it's not always easy for them to have to drag to the post office to ship it off! So far I've never had anyone leave me negative (on Ebay -hasn't happened here...yet!) and people have been understanding. I really try hard not to do this, but sometimes yes, it does happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: