eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile
  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   
Log inLog in

simple question (about product title in red)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vintagecollect



Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
poopsheet wrote:
The numbers would be issue numbers, sort of the equivalent of Dog Fancy April 2009.

I would make a title something along the lines of:

Fantastic Four #209 John Byrne Marv Wolfman 1979 comic book

I'd actually add even more keywords if they'd fit. Basically it just presents more info. To the non-comics reader it probably still looks like a nonsense title but it provides more info for the shopper and, most importantly, makes it easier for them to find your books when they search by something other than title (John Byrne, for example). Keep in mind that the search at ecrater.com is titles-only, unfortunately.


Why do people try to avoid saying what an item is? Titles geared solely to sophisticated collectors eliminate, except by accident, new collectors or people who just like the Fantastic Four.


I thought I was being specific. I did not realize I was leaving people out. I'll try to be more inclusive and sensitive to new collectors with my titles.
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintagecollect



Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladyknightsjewelry wrote:
It may take a while to get a response from eCrater customer service, so you may not get a response that quickly.


T


Should I wait longer then?
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
ladyknightsjewelry



Posts: 289

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give it a while. From other posts I have seen here it can take severall days for them to catch up and reply.
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards



Posts: 4150

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagecollect wrote:
Correct. Those are serial numbers. I had never heard of anyone adding their personal inventory number for convenience to a title before, I still don't get where the convenience is.

Here on eCrater, the search engine only searches the titles. If you have information that you or the buyer may use to find your item, that information MUST be in the title or it will not be returned in an eCrater search. SO, if a dealer wants to locate an item by the inventory number, the number has to be in the title. If you think a buyer would be looking for comics with art by John Byrne you need to put his name in your title. If you think a buyer wants comics about Herbie The Robot, that needs to go in the title. If you put it in the description, the eCrater search will not find it. Information in the description is searched by the outside search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo etc., so it is important for those searches plus your customer would want more information than just the title
Quote:
I changed my titles to be more descriptive and I figured out that I was miscategorizing my products into antiques when they should have been in books/magazines>comics. I think everything is better now, although I haven't gotten a response from ecrater customer service and my items are still red. If I don't get a reply by tomorrow, I may erase and re-list.
You may need to give them more time than just tomorrow. It would really be a big time waste to erase & re-list plus you wouldn't know for sure that the problem had been corrected. Just give them a little more time. Remember, they don't have a large staff ... and we don't pay them any fees. Very Happy
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread
moderator


Posts: 11986

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagecollect wrote:
ladyknightsjewelry wrote:
It may take a while to get a response from eCrater customer service, so you may not get a response that quickly.


T


Should I wait longer then?

Give it at least several days (maybe a week.) when eCrater is busy it may take a long time.

If the items is just flagged eCrater is likely to check it before deleting. If you corrected it, it may be OK.
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintagecollect



Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACRead wrote:
vintagecollect wrote:
ladyknightsjewelry wrote:
It may take a while to get a response from eCrater customer service, so you may not get a response that quickly.


T


Should I wait longer then?

Give it at least several days (maybe a week.) when eCrater is busy it may take a long time.

If the items is just flagged eCrater is likely to check it before deleting. If you corrected it, it may be OK.


fair enough.
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintagecollect



Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
vintagecollect wrote:
Correct. Those are serial numbers. I had never heard of anyone adding their personal inventory number for convenience to a title before, I still don't get where the convenience is.

Here on eCrater, the search engine only searches the titles. If you have information that you or the buyer may use to find your item, that information MUST be in the title or it will not be returned in an eCrater search. SO, if a dealer wants to locate an item by the inventory number, the number has to be in the title. If you think a buyer would be looking for comics with art by John Byrne you need to put his name in your title. If you think a buyer wants comics about Herbie The Robot, that needs to go in the title. If you put it in the description, the eCrater search will not find it. Information in the description is searched by the outside search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo etc., so it is important for those searches plus your customer would want more information than just the title
Quote:
I changed my titles to be more descriptive and I figured out that I was miscategorizing my products into antiques when they should have been in books/magazines>comics. I think everything is better now, although I haven't gotten a response from ecrater customer service and my items are still red. If I don't get a reply by tomorrow, I may erase and re-list.
You may need to give them more time than just tomorrow. It would really be a big time waste to erase & re-list plus you wouldn't know for sure that the problem had been corrected. Just give them a little more time. Remember, they don't have a large staff ... and we don't pay them any fees. Very Happy


alright then I will just have to be patient.
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintagecollect



Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I got my response just a while ago,

"Hello,

These products were taken down due to miscategorization.

You can remove them and re-list them in the correct category

or

you can update the global category, pay the fee of $15 through paypal to
REMOVED and reply to this email. Then we will review then again
and if everything is fine will re-activate these listings.

Sincerely,

REMOVED
The eCRATER Team"

Edited by mod. Please do not post personal info (including email addresses) especially of the eCrater folks. This is giving out personal information and it is against the rules of the eCrater Community Board.
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MaggietheCatsMeows



Posts: 2799

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have them in antiques? Someone said earlier there were comics from the 70s in antiques. Antique refers to items over 100 years old or close.

My statement earlier about excluding casual buyers from your store as opposed to collectors was not aimed solely at you. It is very common in pop culture collectibles of all types....and a lot of other items.

Take me for example. I'm a senior and know nothing about hot pop music or stars, super heroes, and all sorts of similar items but at least once a year I have to buy gifts for several people who live for the stuff. Vague brief titles don't even get clicked on to see if they are anything I want.
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintagecollect



Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
Did you have them in antiques? Someone said earlier there were comics from the 70s in antiques. Antique refers to items over 100 years old or close.

My statement earlier about excluding casual buyers from your store as opposed to collectors was not aimed solely at you. It is very common in pop culture collectibles of all types....and a lot of other items.

Take me for example. I'm a senior and know nothing about hot pop music or stars, super heroes, and all sorts of similar items but at least once a year I have to buy gifts for several people who live for the stuff. Vague brief titles don't even get clicked on to see if they are anything I want.


Yeah they used to be miscategorized and I didn't know until this one person pointed out it needed to be under magazines books comics because they were not over 100 years old.
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
poopsheet



Posts: 4865

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
Why do people try to avoid saying what an item is? Titles geared solely to sophisticated collectors eliminate, except by accident, new collectors or people who just like the Fantastic Four.


People who "just like the Fantastic Four" are going to be searching "Fantastic Four".

Sure, getting "comic book" and related keywords in there is a fine idea but I'd also expect those to be in the descriptions (perhaps as part of a stock bit of text in each one), in the Welcome message on the homepage and in one ore more of the shop's text pages (making including them in the title not so necessary).

I'm sure there are some people including "comic book" in their search terms but it's going to be a pretty small percentage. Also, the category names at eCrater are keywords themselves so some of those will cover that ground too.

Keep in mind, of course, that I don't put a lot of effort into making sure my items can be found on eCrater itself because the traffic is just not there. I'm more concerned with external search engines which do search beyond the titles.
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
poopsheet



Posts: 4865

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagecollect wrote:

You can remove them and re-list them in the correct category

or

you can update the global category, pay the fee of $15 through paypal to
REMOVED and reply to this email. Then we will review then again
and if everything is fine will re-activate these listings.


I don't get this part. What is the $15.00 for? Because there are a lot of listings and eCrater has to unflag them all?
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintagecollect



Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poopsheet wrote:
vintagecollect wrote:

You can remove them and re-list them in the correct category

or

you can update the global category, pay the fee of $15 through paypal to
REMOVED and reply to this email. Then we will review then again
and if everything is fine will re-activate these listings.


I don't get this part. What is the $15.00 for? Because there are a lot of listings and eCrater has to unflag them all?


It was 5 listings all under the incorrect global category. The 15 dollars pays for them reviewing the 5 listings again and re-activating them.
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat



Posts: 9905

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion but I think the search engines are tired of inexplicit titles and miscategorization gumming up their searches and are putting pressure on sites like ecrater to clean up the listings. When sellers refuse to take responsibility for correctly writing and categorizing their inventory, sounds like ecrater will charge for having to do it for them.

Again, just my guess. Sort of like flea bites dog. Dog bites man. Vet charges man for dog's flea bath.
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards



Posts: 4150

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagecollect
Thanks for coming back and letting us know the reason and for sharing the email. I've read so many topics that are just left hanging ... it nice to know the end of the story.
Back to top
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum