eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google wants to cancel Google Shopping!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Google wants to cancel Google Shopping! Reply with quote

That's the conclusion I've made. As if GS wasn't already buried, Google just made it even HARDER to find! Anyone notice the change at the top of the main Google page the last couple days? The formerly all white toolbar is now BLACK. Oh, Google Search shows up fine in bold white (as if it wasn't already the go to source). But the rest of them are blacked out UNLESS you click on them. Hopefully this is just a temporary tinker with the look on the way to a better solution. If not and this is here to stay, I consider it a strike against their other less popular services in the same vein as networks deciding to cancel a show but they don't have the guts to come right out and cancel something, but to position the program at such time and day that the end result is the same. Ok, this was really a rant, but this sort of stuff makes me even hotter (as if record breaking heat didn't already do it).

Last edited by dccollectibles on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
richcollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that black bar is annoying. I'm going to play on Bing today since I need to learn the nuances of that anyway---my little experience is that it's crap.

The Google game with that guitar thing a while ago got old in a hurry as well and I think it caused an uproar.

Gratuitous dabbling is so eBay...
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Google wants to cancel Google Shopping! Reply with quote

dccollectibles wrote:
Anyone notice the change at the top of the main Google page the last couple days? The formerly all white toolbar is now BLACK.

Google's making it "better." wink wink

dccollectibles wrote:
Hopefully this is just a temporary tinker with the look on the way to a better solution.

Nope, this is not a test. It's intentional and already in place. Too bad if users don't like it. Google does. They have no competition. They can do what they want.

There are various articles, blogs, etc about it. Here's one: http://www.seroundtable.com/google-black-gray-interface-13630.html

You can apparently change it back by using a program like GreaseMonkey. I haven't done it but I know others who have.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to know such programs can right Google's wrongs but the average user only knows Greasemonkey as the guy who changes the oil and fixes a transmission. It's doubtful this would change anything unless the Geeksquad agent at BestBuy decides to do do the work for them the next time their computer goes on the fritz.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google products was taken off the header in Canada years ago and it wasn't easy locating. I turned the link into a favorites so can just click on it. But yesterday the worthless bar turned black.
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dccollectibles wrote:
It's nice to know such programs can right Google's wrongs but the average user only knows Greasemonkey as the guy who changes the oil and fixes a transmission. It's doubtful this would change anything

Right. The only thing that using a program like GreaseMonkey can change is what the individual uses it for. So this is a little existential life lesson courtesy of Google that we have no power over anything but ourselves and need to take responsibility for those things we can change. So if we don't like the black bar on Google, we have a means to change our experience with it. Nothing more.
anothertimeantiques

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see this as a negative change. The main pages just look more in line with other sites & blogs where the links are all at the top bar. As soon as you mouse over, you see it's a link.

THis is kind of a standard style showing up on the internet.

Hang in there - I'm sure it's not going to be a deterrent!
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be a lot less resistant to the change IF Google had been more advertisement-heavy toward Google Shopping in the first place. The thing's been in beta forever and they're basically treating it as the product not quite ready for prime time so "we're just going to wait and see what happens." Nothing survives without advertisement, whether great word of mouth or carefully planned media blitz. Even eB for all their faults knew how to with those silly but memorable "it" commercials (prompting even more silly and memorable youtube spoofs). Google's actions however give the smell of both unsure business, outright bad thinking, and perhaps worst of all a lack of confidence in their product.
caljackscollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the problem is. I see the black bar but doing a search on Google Product Search seems to be the same. So why is this a problem?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked my Google analytics, 25% of my hits were coming from BING. On our new computer with a different level of Windows, guess what is the default search engine? Bing and then Ask. I never even knew about Google Shopping until I started selling here and saw it mentioned in the forums here. I suspect that many other people haven't got a clue about Google shopping either and as much as we think that Google will always be top dog, all it takes is one little change that NO ONE likes and it will be so yesterday.

The best thing you can do for your store is list well with good keywords and descriptions, promote where ever you can and don't rely on one system that you aren't paying for to bring in your customers.

I foolishly bought some things off of ebay about a month ago. I bought from three different sellers. We won't get into the trash the one seller sent me, but of these 3 sellers, not one had a packing slip or invoice in the package. Not one had their store url as part of their return address (much less using their seller name as part of their return address). This meant confusion for me as I tried to figure out who sent what, but biggest problem of all for them...nothing in my hand in case I ever wanted to go shop with them again. Here I was an actual customer and they didn't bother to do a thing to get me back into their ebay store (and they all had stores). Be sure that every contact you have with a customer or potential customer has a way for them to get back to you. Emails with your url, packing slips with your name and url, url as part of your return address on packaging, etc. If you aren't doing that, it is a lost opportunity. If you aren't doing that, then it doesn't matter what Google, Bing or any of the others do, you won't benefit as much as someone that is constantly promoting their store.
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: How do you get listed on Bing? Reply with quote

richcollectibles wrote:
Yes, that black bar is annoying. I'm going to play on Bing today since I need to learn the nuances of that anyway---my little experience is that it's crap.

The Google game with that guitar thing a while ago got old in a hurry as well and I think it caused an uproar.

Gratuitous dabbling is so eBay...

I just noticed that Bing has shopping....how do you get online with them?
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: I don't see it as a bad thing either Reply with quote

anothertimeantiques wrote:
I don't see this as a negative change. The main pages just look more in line with other sites & blogs where the links are all at the top bar. As soon as you mouse over, you see it's a link.

THis is kind of a standard style showing up on the internet.

Hang in there - I'm sure it's not going to be a deterrent!

Why can't Goog shopping have a black bar with menus? What's wrong with it?
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with the Google black bar? Just for starters, medium gray drop-out type at about 10pt on black ground...which, when clicked, has a charcoal gray box surround, so you get medium gray on charcoal gray...is less visible than royal blue overprint on white ground at the same size. The whole point of a navigation bar is to help users navigate, which becomes more difficult when the navigation links are harder to see. Google even trumpeted that it was hiding navigation features until they were "needed." Way to go.

Google's rationale for the changes is laughable. There is nothing about a black bar that enhances focus, elasticity, or effortlesseness. This is more corporate blahblah to justify doing whatever it is Google wants to do for whatever reason...usually to increase income, mollify investors, or justify an employee's existence...that has nothing to do with improving user experience or search functionality.
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first noticed the change, I thought they had completely removed the search bar and just added a black border. I always use GS unless I am just looking for information or references. The change certainly isn't user friendly- trying to figure out why they would want to hide the search tool.

It probably just looks more streamlined- up-to-date or retro fab ... who knows! Laughing
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frillypad wrote:

It probably just looks more streamlined- up-to-date or retro fab ... who knows! Laughing

And yet, so many of us who get into "retro" are the ones who "remember when" and now we can't see grey on black. Laughing

I just noticed that Twitter has that same black bar at the top. Maybe it always did and I never paid attention, not being a rabid tweeter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: