eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google is labeling a children's record as "offensive go
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svoundtrack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Google is labeling a children's record as "offensive go Reply with quote

Hello all,

Kind of at a loss on this one, and the Google Checkout Team apparently sends nothing but automated responses to my email inquiries.

The trouble began when Google sent an email saying I had "offensive goods" listed in my store (which I certainly do not!). The only info provided was this: "Please note that sale of 'Song of south' is not allowed through Google Checkout." I took this to mean that a children's record, from Walt Disney's Song of the South, was somehow the culprit. I know this film is a bit antiquated - even Disney has said so - but it still seems strange that GW would go as far as to list it as offensive goods.

None the less, my GW account is suspended unless I implement their "not available" gif:

http://checkout.google.com/buttons/checkout.gif?merchant_id=XXX&w=180&h=46&style=white&variant=disabled&loc=en_US

Is there any way to set this up for individual listings?

Whether this is a big misunderstanding or not, it seems like I'm pretty much pinned in a corner. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Jay
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I might be tempted to just ditch GCO and use Pay Pal.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just delete the item, for 30 days or something, then don't put those words in the description or title or something like that.

I would just keep emailing them and tell them to fix their system.
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Better-Way wrote:
Maybe just delete the item, for 30 days or something, then don't put those words in the description or title or something like that.

I would just keep emailing them and tell them to fix their system.

Or use the "copy" feature, create a new listing for that item, and then delete the original listing.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here ya go

http://www.songofthesouth.net/faq/index.html

So you probably have a more rare exspensive thing to sell now, than you thought.

put it for sale on a personal webpage or somthing.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty's got a good idea.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would re list that for a while, and if you did, definitely change the wording and pictures around, like "rare Disney record"

They might just ban you all around if you do things.

I will leave my commentary out, as bad as I want to spout off, but anyway.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but perhaps something good for an ebay auction?
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I hate to say it, but perhaps something good for an ebay auction?

Back when I sold on eBay I used to read the discussion boards and I believe there was a thread about this movie being banned there too.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the Cold War, Russia was soundly criticized for rewriting history books to exclude the negative aspects of the rise of communism. WWII remains a touchy subject in Germany. Google has lots of no-nos regarding historical listings of WWII books and artifacts too. It is all part of the same trend to rewrite history so you don't look so bad to people born after a particular time.

If you don't learn from your mistakes you are destined to repeat them. Someone famous said that but I don't remember who. Maybe someone who's been erased from history.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Google as requested that all customer service related to Google Shopping be handled by the marketplace, so I would send an email to the eCrater team to let them know what's going on. Let them know that your Google Wallet account is suspended and ask their advice. They may have a way of disabling the checkout on those 3 items. Be sure to let us know the outcome.
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Svoundtrack-
Google seems to be a little overly sensitlve IMO, considering you can find nazi flags in Google Shopping. You would be allowed to sell this on Discogs without problem. I know of a 78, an LP and at least one 7" connected to this film, and they're all openly sold on Ebay, too. Are you familiar with the Popsike site? They archive collectible vinyl auction stats; you can see the auction history of these records here:
http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=song+of+the+south&incldescr=&sortord=ddate&thumbs=&currsel=

I'm not sure Ecrater will be able to do anything for you if Google says you can't list it.
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:
If you don't learn from your mistakes you are destined to repeat them. Someone famous said that but I don't remember who. Maybe someone who's been erased from history.

George Santayana

A friend in college was a fan. I think he's still pretty well known in philosophy circles.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Maggie, here in Texas they are actually proposing rewriting history books to take the word "slavery" out. As if it never happened.

I think that is more offensive than discussing what really did happen. A great disservice to the people affected by it.

At any rate, to the original poster: I would either a) stop taking Google while you have that listed here or b) don't list it here, list it somewhere else.
svoundtrack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the replies! I believe I will either remove the listings or attempt to relist them as Disney collectibles. I'm certainly not taking my business back to ebay - I shudder at the thought.

It just seems like such a silly matter for Google to take me to task over. Oh well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: