eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Items are not showing up in category search.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
finickyfinds

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Items are not showing up in category search. Reply with quote

I have been posting new items daily in Crafts-Sewing>Patterns and when I go to that category from the front page none of my listings are showing up.

I went through 30 pages and not one item and others that have been there for several days are not being pushed back, which if searching by date they should move as others are added.

If I use the search bar my items do show up as it switches to relevancy but not everyone will do that. Is there something I need to do to show up in regular category search? Thanks for any help Smile
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Items don't show up immediately. It may take a few hours until the next re-index.

Checking you store, this would appear to be the newest item ...
http://finickyfinds.ecrater.com/p/17104600/1970s-pullover-top-vintage-pattern

Searching from the eCRATER home page, I found this ...
http://www.ecrater.com/p/17104600/1970s-pullover-top-vintage-pattern?keywords=Vintage+Pattern+Style+1190+UNCUT
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been posting new items daily in Crafts-Sewing>Patterns and when I go to that category from the front page none of my listings are showing up.

I seriously doubt that most pattern buyers spend their time browsing the catalog pages without any sort of destination. They would do an actual search of some type for say a skirt pattern, or whatever. This is the only way that items that were listed 5-6 years or so ago would get purchased as no one is going to scroll through 52,000+ listings to see what is available and older inventory would be on the last page of products.

I know a lot of sellers get worried if they aren't seeing their products on the catalog page. The only time I ever even see mine is when I look at those pages to see what another seller is questioning. As long as your stuff is in your open active store, it is in the catalog pages and can be found with the right keywords. Yet another reason to push your promotion efforts to getting your store's exclusive url out there.
finickyfinds

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for checking and your responses Smile

The ones that you found were posted several weeks ago and I have been checking for several days and none of the newer listings have showed.

I know I worry too much but my original shop was was on Etsy and I started noticing things not showing and people there told me the same thing, 'people use the search bar so don't worry about categories.'

My sales kept going down until they are about 1/4 of what they were and have never recovered. I work on titles etc. and nothing has made a difference. I was actually asking more to see if there was a technical issue since the new design since things always seemed to update quickly on eCrater.

I have a few thousand patterns left to post so I need to stay on top of things Wink

Thanks again for responding Smile
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the biggest problems that hit on line sellers in the last couple of years was Google and how they kept changing their search. My sales numbers reflected almost to the day when some of their changes took place. Still trying to find ways to work around that and one of the biggest things is promoting your store yourself. My direct promotions now bring in more people to my store than google sends.
finickyfinds

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the Google changes affecting online sales, especially for small stores. I think some sites making major changes around the same time hit sellers extra hard.

My listings on eCrater have always showed up in Google, where they didn't on other sites, so that is good. Promoting is still a mystery to me but I'm trying very hard to use social media etc. even though I would much rather be sorting and posting patterns.

It was nice so nice a couple years ago when I could list patterns and know that sales were steady. The days of sending out a stack of envelopes most days seems to be gone for me.

I will keep plugging along and hope I figure out the right steps again Smile
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finickyfinds wrote:
The ones that you found were posted several weeks ago and I have been checking for several days and none of the newer listings have showed.

The way I found the first link above was to go to one of the items in your store, then click on Show all items. That is supposed to show items by date. If you have newer items since that item was added, the only reason I can think of that would prevent them from appearing is that they are hidden (i.e. the Hide this item box is checked).

Can you find the item(s) in your store, by clicking Preview, then select a category that contains them ? If they still do not appear, that suggests they may be on hold.
finickyfinds

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info cosmicray.

I checked the items in my stores backend and I have 24 active listings after the one found so there might be a problem with the main categories updating. it is odd because when I go directly to my store they are there but when i view 'show all items' they aren't.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: