eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

MAN, that USPS increase is painful
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liskidder

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: MAN, that USPS increase is painful Reply with quote

Good lord. I just printed out a shipping label through Paypal for a 1 ounce package via First Class. It used to cost $.66 - it now costs a freaking $1.30! Shocked
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
storybook-ceramics

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: MAN, that USPS increase is painful Reply with quote

liskidder wrote:
Good lord. I just printed out a shipping label through Paypal for a 1 ounce package via First Class. It used to cost $.66 - it now costs a freaking $1.30! Shocked

Yup, I'm feeling the pain too! Last month was a slow month for us, but our shipping bill was just under $400.00

I'm just sick with the thought of not being able to use Priority Mail like we used to. Dimensional weight is gonna KILL us on about a third of our outbound, unless we back off to Parcel Post.

Thing is, shipping 8 lb. fragile items to the west coast (we're on the east coast) takes up to 8 days Parcel, as opposed to no more than 3 days Priority. Possibility of breakage mounts with each day an item is in transit...sheesh

And I know those of you that used First Class for jewelry and the like will see your costs double.

All I can say is, pass the cost on to your customer. It's not OUR fault USPS did this. Online customers will just HAVE to get used to the new shipping scales, so they might as well start now.

We've started a spreadsheet on our box sizes and product weights, and will be evaluating our outbound costs very closely over the next few weeks.

StoryBook
liskidder

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Paypal is making us use the more expensive first class option, which is a full 50 cents more, so they can force us to use delivery confirmation.

This is a useful page someone made for the new shipping rates: http://www.hathorrising.com/SRAJD/USPSnewRates.htm
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thickness of the package is what is the issue here --
Please read
Thickness of package price increase from UPSPS
http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=3412
liskidder

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, but I think you're actually unable to print the thinner package mailing labels from Paypal because USPS isn't offering a delivery confirmation option for that. I think Paypal is forcing you to use the thicker ones.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liskidder wrote:
Right, but I think you're actually unable to print the thinner package mailing labels from Paypal because USPS isn't offering a delivery confirmation option for that. I think Paypal is forcing you to use the thicker ones.

I don't use PayPal to ship BUT if that is what they are doing then you MUST make the package be the correct thickness - 3/4" I think it is that is required to use eDC on it.

What I hate is the whole envelope verus package thing. If you select envelope then you don't have an opion for eDC (on the postage system I use) BUT the priority mailer - EP-14 is infact an envelope - might be a large envelope but still an envelope!

This whole new rate structure is killing everyone. UPS, Fed-ex are all looking better everyday.
Shipping a pay of shorts from CO to MA went from $5.30 to $7,
Shipping to Canada - OMG - a shirt went from $12.50 to $23.10!
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used boxes for sending jewelry anyway, unless it's something tiny and flat, like a charm. Jewelry is just too easy to damage, to pack in an envelope. So it shouldn't affect my postage too much.
Husband went to mail something for me yesterday and said the PO was a madhouse with everyone trying to figure things out-including the postal workers.
I will be curious to hear how many packages get returned for insufficient postage because they don't all agree on what some of these new terms and rates mean.
Buytime

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can all agree that the US Postal Service is Totally FUBAR

Evil or Very Mad

Its UPS and DHL time!
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I been reading that on some items - it's cheaper to send international then within the states.

WHOEVER decided these rates are doable was drinking heavily at the time.

My PO had training on the rates for half an hour before they opened today and only one computer was bringing up the new rates. Lines out the door. They had one tape measure to share! And all boxes have to be measured!
This is the worst increase they have ever dreamt up.

BUT the PO wants out of the package delivery service. This will get them there!
2BOYSandTOYS

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - it's way too confusing for all....sellers, passive postal customers and postal employees.

What were they thinking? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I've 'yet' to have to engage 100% with the new practices, I'm still trying to figure out how to get my items as flat as possible.... Embarassed Confused
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Texas, I always ship with a box, too, plus some crumpled up paper or peanuts to make the bubble mailer really fluffy. I learned a long time ago, if you don't fluff up the package, they will run that sucker through a letter sorter and crush the heck out of box and all!

If I were selling fine jewelry, though, it would be another story. I'd definitely go with UPS for the tracking and insurance alone. As it is, I just went through a few weeks ago, still working on it, and added a few more dollars on the price of everything, so I can keep the FREE SHIPPING up. I also don't print labels anymore, and take them by hand to the desk at the PO. This way they get scanned in, which has drastically reduced the number of scammer buyers who are trying to get something for nothing by filing a CB when their DC # isn't scanned in. If they take that # and go to USPS.com, they can see there is online proof that I shipped - since I use Paypal pro for most transactions, that's a MUST (it's now FOB destination, in case some don't know, instead of what it used to be, FOB shipping point)

For what I sell, USPS is still the most economical all around (sigh)...although I am going to investigate other options this year, I think, well before the Xmas shopping season

I started to go in to ship some things yesterday, and chickened out lol...can't do that today, will have to bite the bullet and face the crowds!
studiodusoleil

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:

Shipping to Canada - OMG - a shirt went from $12.50 to $23.10!

Shocked I really better check what my suppliers are charging now. It may be worth paying the extra taxes and buying canadian now.
awarenessbracelets

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: International cheaper that domestic! Reply with quote

Ouch!

Sent jewelry item to Greece ~ was $1.07
Sent same item to Ohio ~ was $1.33, used to be $.54

Almost a 250% increase, guess I just pass on the cost to my customers. By the way, regular unleaded at $3.29 in Minneapolis MN! Anybody top that?
Buytime

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to one of our employees and she said she was mailing a package priority mail to her aunt thats usually about $10.00, but now due to the package size it was now $23.00

Shocked
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sizes are now cheaper to send via OVERNIGHT then prioty mail!

go to usps.com rate calculator and put in that youre shipping a 12x12x20 1 lb box. (which means you have to select "large package" as package type)

and ship it from FL 34736 to CA 95350

comes out to:

Express Mail $19.50
Priority Mail $30.50
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: