eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

BLACK POWDER
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: BLACK POWDER Reply with quote

The last black powder season of this year is on, less than 2 weeks left. I'm hoping to be well enough (this weekend) to bag some deer meat; 60 or 70 pounds of fresh deer meat would be great. I love spicy hot deer sausage and crackers, especially during the winter months - with hot coffee, or hot tea.

I usually get two every year, but years have taken their due. Maybe a deer/bear will get me this year, I don't know; but, make money, go broke, break even, live or die - I'm going into the untamed forest, where wild beasts live, and every creature is hungry; looking for meal before hard winter sets in!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE

Last edited by 2tip3py1 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of the country are you from? I fish but do not hunt. I am going fishing next week on the shore of an inlet which is off of the Atlantic. It is at the Sebastion Inlet State park. I am hoping to catch some redfish or flounder to fry.

This year I have felt so scared to even go to the grocery store. Getting outdoors in beautiful nature sure lifts the spirits.
Happy Holidays to all!
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live near Arkansas, Missouri border, I too, love fishing. Don't get to do much salt water fishing, bass, trout, crappie, bream and the such, wild white water rivers, lakes and streams.

Is that you modeling that white knit cap?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in PA deer season started the Monday after Thanksgiving. When we moved here from CA to PA I ended up having to go to a new HS for 2 years. I was shocked that for Thanksgiving we had Thursday through Monday off. I couldn't believe that kids got the day off to go hunting. I think the school district went with the philosophy of if you don't join them you won't have any guys and some girls in school on that Monday. We see deer in out backyard at times. I wish they knew that it is a safe zone as no one can build behind us as our land backs up to one of the towns reservoirs. We will never have houses behind us, so a safe place for the deer to hang out when they want to. I always tell my son when he leaves at night to watch out for deer and he is always, yeah, the invisible deer. I have seen plenty since I moved up her, but until a few weeks ago he hadn't seen any. Back before I even knew my husband I had to take the road that goes by our house to get to work at times and I have seen more than once, that early in the morning 3 deer standing in the road chit-chatting until they saw my car! Little did I know that I would eventually live here! Very Happy

The other thing I wasn't prepared for was volunteer firemen which included some of the older boys. When the fire siren would blow, they would catch the teacher's eye, he would nod and a groups of guys left school to go help out. I went to school in the boonies, where I think a lot of the grown men firefighters worked about a 45 minutes or so drive away so couldn't get there very fast for emergencies, so during the daytime, they depended on the boys to help out. I can't imagine a school doing/allowing that any more though.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're over run with deer where I live. I only harvest what I eat. Just like McDonald's only harvests enough beef to make their burgers. Walmart only harvests enough bacon to keep there shelves filled.

These days I only do black powder, I only take three rounds. Now, I do carry 45 caliber pistol, just in case I meet a hungry bear, or pack of feral dogs. You never know.

Most times when you meet cougar, bear etc. they are happy to skirt around humans. But, it is better to be safe, than to be dinner. Don't you agree?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most times when you meet cougar, bear etc. they are happy to skirt around humans. But, it is better to be safe, than to be dinner. Don't you agree?

Absolutely. While bears aren't that frequent here, a year or two ago one came into town and was scampering all over town. They didn't want to shoot it so brought in animal control to snag it and send it to a better home. Lots of folks fish, however, but seeing how filthy the water is on the shores of Lake Erie, I can't believe they would eat them. Buy then I don't like fish unless they are called lobsters, shrimp, and crab meat. I do know they stock the streams with trout. I grew up in southern California where is a trickle of water is called a river and here ten times as much water is called a creek.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I see a bear (or sign of bear) almost every time I go out, I go to a place that the northern border' which is about 2 miles long, connects to 90,000 acres of government land, pure wild land.

No-one really knows what the government does out there. The government owns almost 3 and 1/4 millions acres in this are. It is pure wild land (untouched) there are just few over grown dirt roads, that go nowhere, just dead ends. Some claim they keep secret bomb silos. But, I've never seen one. I have seen military helicopters patrolling or practicing, or just fling by, who knows? If you're legal (have a tag) they don't care if you hunt of fish the area.

The area is teaming with wild life. I will get a deer. These days, one is all I can really pack out - 50 to 90 pounds meat. It will be four or five mile walk, I'll have couple days to pack out, if I need it.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey lastade, have fun at Sebastian Inlet! Back in the 1960s my great-uncle rented Sebastian Point and owned The Crow's Nest, a fishing supply store. Many great memories of visits there. At that time, the road ended at Sebastian Point and you had to back track north to take another road to go south. I've heard that park is really nice. Hope you catch some redfish AND flounder, it would be hard to chose between them.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@2tip3py1, Wow, Hunting deer with black powder is a real skill! I've been around deer hunting most of my life. I don't hunt and now most of the hunters have left the family. I remember many Thanksgivings where the guys would be leaving early evening to get to the camp so they could be in place before dawn on Friday morning when deer season opened.

I can still smell the wonderful aroma of a pot of venison stew simmering on the stove. Good luck with your hunt, hope you get a big one. You'll have to let us know the rest of the story.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDees, yes I will. I'm getting ready to head out, tomorrow. Everything cleaned, greased and oiled, rifle is ready. I'm ready, 2 maybe 3 days of total solitude. There some caves, I have camped in and left tools (pots, pans, old coffee pot, cups, utensils, hatchet, and the such, even fire wood, it's all hid and wrapped in greased canvas and plastic bags. Stuff I have used over and over. This trip I'll walk in with around 30 pounds, (rifle 7 pounds, rifle supplies less than 2 pounds, pistol and ammo 5 pounds, 1/2 pound coffee, 4 15oz packs dried food, 2 water bottles, 1 pound of dry rice, plus pack weighs 6 pounds empty, 1 or 2 pounds miscellaneous stuff. And walk out - I hope, with 75 or 85 pounds.

There's good clean, clear creek near the spot, the water flows out of natural rock wall, and I have a single deer feeder, I've been baiting with corn for last 3 weekends. When that feeder winds up and goes off, the deer hear it from 300 yards and come running.

Yeap, you guessed it, I cheat the deer. I'll have good clear shot, less than 30 yards (and I'm Anny Oakley with that rifle, not bragging, but can't remember a single time I missed in last 15 years) I'll pick deer I can pack out. Then, I will store the feeder until next year. This been going on long time. I'm real good at it. If I could get my oldest grandson to go, we could pack out 125 pounds meat. But just me. He's big and strong like me. His heart ain't in it, but, he'll eat all my deer jerky if let him.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Moonwishes

Looks like PA turned into CA now. Sad
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Our governor now has COVID so lets lock up the state! The weird thing to me was it is supposedly until Jan 4. What magical thing happens on the 4th that we don't need to be locked up on the 5th? Reminds of the early days of the pandemic and they told us the locked down would be for 2 weeks and yet here we are, months later. Now that my doctor offices have figured out how to handle patients, except for my every 6 week haircut, it doesn't affect me that much other than hating to wear the mask as it fogs up my glasses.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another topic:
2tip3py1 wrote:
I got a deer, not to big; dressed out 57 pounds meat. I might try go again this next weekend, but, I am pretty beat up from this trip. I use to be big and strong, but now, I'm old and wore thin.

CONGRATULATIONS!! Spicy hot deer sausage on the menu in the future.

Tell your grandson he has to go with you if he want to eat your deer jerky. My Mom did lots of canning and freezing of basic and yummy stuff. She always said, "If you want to eat it, you have to help prep it." I've been to lots of places I'd rather not go in order to gather supplies for yummy jelly & jams. Laughing
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, first night, it snowed about 2 inches. Feeder went off that morning and three small deer came in. I chose the biggest one, 4 points, nothing to brag about. But several pounds deer meat in the smoker. I like yummy jelly & jams too!

MERRY CHRISTMAS Very Happy
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't made jams or jellies in years, but I do have a dozen 4oz Mason/Ball style canning jars with lids coming for me to try and to review. In my head, I am thinking that there are some good ideas that I can try and even make some jam if I feel like it. Supposedly my bread machine will make jam, but I don't really trust it. But these jars are good for gifts with treats inside, etc. I used to love making jams and jellies, actually anything to do with canning and freezing, except for once. I was 17-18 days late in delivering my second son and was to be induced the next day, so not only did I have to drive in for a doctor's appointment, I had caught up the laundry, etc. My ex went out and picked all the peaches off our trees, an entire bushel, and said here. I know you won't feel up to doing anything with them after the baby is born! What a genius! At that point, I hadn't seen my real ankle in months I had so much edema, I was carrying the son that weighed ten and a half pounds. I didn't feel like doing up peaches then, but I went ahead and those next 4 days in the hospital was a nice break for me. No chores for me as even at home with all this stuff going on, he never lifted a finger to help other than picking those peaches. There are reasons that he is an ex!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: