eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Read any good books lately?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Read any good books lately? Reply with quote

Does anyone enjoy reading? I really do! My mother is a retired librarian so I spent lots of time at libraries growing up. When I was an adult, The Detroit News used to sponsor author luncheons that my mom and I would attend and we were able to meet some of our favorite authors. I once met Mary Higgins Clark, one of my favorite authors. Needless to say, in addition to all my hobbies, I just love to read!

My favorite genres are adventure/thrillers/mystery categories.
Last book I read was a page turner by C.J. Box, called Dark Sky. I woke up around 2 in the morning, started reading and stayed up all night because I could not put it down!

It just came out this week and is the latest in a series about a game warden, Joe Picket. It takes place in Wyoming. I have learned so much about the state by reading these books, it makes me want to visit there one day.

Any book of the Joe Picket series is a good read. C. J. Box also wrote a few other books, one of which has been made into a ABC crime drama that you might have watched called Big Sky.

Anyway, things are pretty quiet on the forum lately so I thought this might be an interesting topic. Does anyone have a favorite author or book they would like to talk about?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to read as well! I read a Micheal Palmer book one day and he had several characters with autism in it and all I could do was think this guy knows and has been in close association with some with autism. I reviewed his book and posted the review on Amazon and within 45 minutes, he emailed me and we ended up in correspondence over autism and yes he was in close association with some with autism, his son had it. Then he offered to send me his latest book to read and review and I of course said sure.

I like JA Jance, David Baldacci, some of Dean Koontz's (none of his Odd Thomas books though), Laverle Spencer, Laura Ingalls Wilder (I think I have read all those books 20+ times each), Michael Palmer, etc. I like Medical mysteries, mysteries, and suspense, romances, some children's books, usually written decades ago. I also like to read crafting books, and believe it or not, I read cookbooks! Reading cookbooks is like reading a history book of our times. Really too many types of books to list.

I was a library aide from 8th grade on through 12 grade in my school libraries. In 10th grade, we moved into a brand new high school, and I got to help set up the new library. I then moved from CA to PA and they were building a new library and once again got to help set up the library. Went to college and spent four years doing college work-study as a library aid, then in nursing school, I also was a library aid. I need to be surrounded by books at all times. I don't have any bookshelf space left and so books and magazines are stacked on the floor.

When I was in Junior High my mom didn't like what she saw on my report card and told me that if I didn't get my grades up I wouldn't be allowed to go to the library anymore. Until I graduated high school, I kept them up. Can you imagine that the only punishment she could think of for me was banning me from the library plus she probably figured my reading was taking the place of homework. However, my reading helped me gain knowledge that I have used over the yeas. I had never read Jane Austin until about 17 years ago until my husband brought her books in for me from the library when I was sick. I have devoured all her books and movies made from her books. When I was young and in school, my family moved a lot and I seemed to have missed some classes like English grammar as well as any classes on reading the classics. My introduction to them is somehow my mom had gotten us some Readers Digest Condensed books for young readers which had stories of like the Scarlet Pimpernel and other such stories, that I would have never know they existed.

edited 3-7-21

Last edited by MoonwishesStore on Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is funny how taking away library privileges was a punishment. To me that would have been a good punishment also as I hung out there all the time. I love Michael Palmer books and heard he passed away. He has a son, Daniel, who also is an author. I have read some of his books and they are pretty good.
I agree with you about Oprah's books. They are too depressing for me too.
I don't need any more books right now. Thank you so much for the offer though. Since this whole shut down began with covid, I have been reading on my phone through the OverDrive app. It is a free app through my library and I can get many books, including recorded books without having to go out to the library. I have 4 books in my queue right now.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kindle is very old and doesn't hold a charge for very long at this point. It is also in B&W. I have a Dell laptop to review and hubby finally got me connected to the internet with it and now I can use it as a Kindle and can see books with colors, like sample quilt books. Absolutely crystal clear photos! I love it. I just got it set up for the internet last week, but I am looking forward to having it with me on my next IV day Very Happy The IV takes about 1.5 - 2 hours to infuse and with the pandemic not too many people to talk to and we are scattered across the room from each other and it feels like we are shouting to each other. One of the reasons they went for us to have our IVs en masse was a chance for us to talk to each other and buck each other up. I will be happy when they get back to that and seeing my usual friends.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Lounge topic about reading Reply with quote

posted in error
MysteryLaneBooks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaStade-Designs,
You can find the authors luncheon on facebook at "Metro Detroit Book and Author Society". In 2020 and 2021, they have been doing on-line interviews with different authors.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Mystery Lane. I will go take a look. I really enjoyed listening to the authors speak about their books when I used to go with my mother.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: