eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How does my store look?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MamasLilGoodies

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: How does my store look? Reply with quote

Can I have people look to see if I need to do some more changes to my store and give your opinion? I am new to eCrater. I had an Etsy shop, but it was not going anywhere. I had it open for 9 months and had no orders. I want this to work out for me. I love to craft. I need unbiased opinions about my store. Thank you for taking the time to help me about my store.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Ecrater.
Your titles and descriptions need to accurately describe what you are selling.
Read the Ecrater Terms here - https://www.ecrater.com/terms.php
You are violating a few terms including this one - - Meaningless title & description

In the title you have 100 spaces to describe what you are selling. Think of what you might put in the google box if you were a buyer and looking for something specific. People will never find you with a title called General Special Order. But, if they were looking for Handmade candle votive for wedding, party or holiday decor they might find your item. You also might consider a different category for the marketplace such as home decor rather than handmade. You have to think like a buyer when adding your title.

Your descriptions must be for the 1 item listed. You are violating this term - - Do not include promotional or boilerplate text in your product titles and descriptions. All text should directly describe the product. Texts related to shipping, handling or store policies must not be included.

You should describe what the item is, how large it is, what it is made from, etc.

If you only have 12 listings buyers are not going to find you with only Ecrater indexing your items. You must promote what you are selling. There are plenty of free places to promote. Try joining some Facebook groups and pin to Pinterest.

Fill in your FAQs and Terms pages

You have a lot more work to do. Make sure to read the topics under the Store set up area of the forum. After you make changes come back again and let us see your new look.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to eCRAter. What Lastade said. She's absolutely correct. I suggest you hide your store until you get your listings fixed. You won't be losing sales because the way your listings read now you won't get sales here either.

Creating great titles and descriptions takes time. Some of your listings I have no idea what you are selling even after clicking on it and reading everything you said.

The coasters with photos on them....are they famous people, family and friends? How do people get the photos to you? All this needs to be explained in the description.

When it comes to handmade anything, successful sellers go into great detail about how they make their crafts, materials and techniques. It takes time to make a good listing but it is how you get sales.

As for shipping...if you don't list shipping prices, you can't charge for it. There are places to list weight for each item and options for how you will charge for shipping. Decide what will work best for your inventory and select that method.
MamasLilGoodies

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Thank You and Hiding My Store Reply with quote

Thank you for all the great tips. I will work on all that this week.

I know I seen it somewhere but can one of you tell me where I can find the hide button or how to do it?
MamasLilGoodies

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: New Description for Ceramic Tile Coasters Reply with quote

I was able to hide all my products until I get things fixed.

How does this look for this one?

These beautifully made coasters were made with glazed ceramic tiles, cork squares, and of family and printed pictures.
I bought a four-inch by four-inch square, ceramic tile and put Mod Podge glue on it with a brush so the picture would stick. I then let that dry and put two layers of the same glue over the picture to protect it from condensation or spills. I also sprayed a layer of clear acrylic sealer on it to give it even more protection. After that I hot glued an adhesive cork square on the bottom so the tile would not scratch any surfaces it sat on like coffee tables, kitchen tables, or any other surface.
My family loved their ceramic tile coasters when I gave them for a Christmas gift a couple years back. If you love these just email me your pictures of family, friends, events, or anything that you want on these ceramic tile coasters to have on them so you can enjoy those wonderful memories over and over again.

I want to thank you again. My mother would have helped me out but she passed away in October last year so I am on my own. She was amazing about writing and such.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your title? That is so important because that is how shoppers find your items.

How many tiles are in a listing? Important information. You can offer different amounts of coasters but each sized set needs another listing, i.e. set of 4 or set of 6, etc. If you are not precise you confuse buyers and that is how you get negative feedback.

You need a small scale for this. You can accurately quote shipping by weighing your listings packaged and then use the same shipping for every listing that has the same weight. Every order for 4 tiles will weigh the same. Every order for 6 tiles will weigh the same. An ounce over or under can change shipping so weighing is important. If you don't have a scale you can find them online or at office supply stores. They aren't expensive. I bought one 20+ years ago and it still works fine. I think I've changed the battery twice.
MamasLilGoodies

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Slight Description Change to Ceramic Tile Coasters Reply with quote

I named it Ceramic Tile Coasters.

I did do some changes to that description after I sent it.

Here is the slightly changed description:

"These beautifully made coasters were made with ceramic tiles, cork squares, and of family and printed pictures.

I bought a four-inch by four-inch square, ceramic tile and put Mod Podge glue on it with a brush so the picture would stick. I then let that dry for a bit and put two layers of the same glue over the picture to protect it from condensation or spills. I also sprayed a layer of clear acrylic sealer on it to give it even more protection. We don't want those pictures to get destroyed. After that I hot glued a self-adhesive cork square on the bottom so the tile would not scratch any surfaces it sat on like coffee tables, kitchen tables, or any other surface.

My family loved their ceramic tile coasters when I gave them for a Christmas gift a couple years back. If you love these just email me your preferences and pictures of family, friends, events, or anything that you want on these ceramic tile coasters to have on them so you can enjoy those wonderful memories over and over again. I also offer these in round coasters style.

These can come in sets of 2, 4, 6, and 8."

I put in variants. Does that mean anything if I have to make a "post" for each set of coasters?
MamasLilGoodies

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Updated Shop Reply with quote

How does my shop look now that I have updated it a bunch more?

I fixed the issues I had. I hope I don't have anymore.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I see you are trying but you need to be more specific about what you are selling. Not just how you make something.

Example - your crocheted beanies. The buyer looking at the picture will think they are getting each one in the picture..

If it were me and I do crochet, I would crochet 1 football beanie. Then I would describe the beanie as :

Football beanie for toddler. Rim size of beanie 16" around.
Machine washible. Made with acrylic yarn.

That is it. You should really have the produce already made up and ready to mail out.

You are buying x. X is made of ........ X is size ........ also the laundering instructions or cleaning instruction are .... That is it.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your titles you need to use the term handmade or hand crafted or hand crocheted, etc.

Yes you need to make a separate listing for each size or color, style, etc. The crocheted toys could be sold as a group but if you are only selling one each the photo should show only one item. Buyers can't or won't read descriptions. I've never decided which. If they have to email you the number of coasters they want and wait for you to get back to them with appropriate shipping, they will lose interest and forget about you. The same people who don't read also have short attention spans. Also you can't charge the same shipping for 2 coasters as for 8 and if you don't list shipping, it will appear to the buyer as free.

As far as your descriptions go....just give the important information. Measurements, material, color, technique. Not necessary to say how much your relatives loved them.

I just checked your store again. I looked at the Snoopy/Batman listing. You are going to lose money on them. $20 for both with free shipping in the US. They aren't heavy but they have to be bagged or boxed. You said Snoopy is a foot long. That will require a shoebox or equivalent. You may be doing this as a hobby but hobbies shouldn't make you lose money.

Keep at it.
MamasLilGoodies

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Replies Reply with quote

I don't have the room to already have things made and ready to ship out. I still live at home with my dad. That is why I was going to make things made to order instead. I have my crafty table with my supplies in his living room.

Most of what I have posted and made I have done for others. I can't really weight things for shipping costs that I don't have anymore.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are almost there!

If you are doing custom orders you should put that in your title and description.
Be specific about quantity. Are they getting 1, 2, 3, etc.
Tell them exactly what they will receive. If they do not receive what is in the picture, it may backfire on you and they may do a chargeback. That is why you must be specific. They can say to their credit card company, I did not receive all the items I ordered. If you show 6 hats or 3 coasters, they only get 1 they may dispute their charge.

So - write something like this. Example your crocheted sea creature magnets.

Title:
Handcrafted Sea Creature magnets set of 3, Starfish, Coral, Jellyfish Custom Order

Description:
This item is hand crafted to order. You will receive 3 crocheted magnets similar to those pictured. Since they are to be custom ordered, email me for details regarding color choice. The color choices available are blue, white, purple, light green, pink.

I crochet these small sea creatures magnets with yarn, googly eyes, hot glue, and magnets. They range in size from one inch tall to three inches tall. Once you have placed your order, it will take me approximatly 2 days to finish crocheting your order. You will receive the tracking number upon mailing.

As Maggie said and based on both of our years of experience, some buyers will only look at the picture and they will not read the description. We are trying to help you prevent a chargeback.

I keep my finished, hand crocheted, hand knitted and hand sewn items in a plastic tub.
It does not take up too much room. They make all sizes and some can fit under a bed. Perhaps you can find some room for items you can pre make.

You can use Ecrater's variants if you wish to have the customer choose specific colors. When you click any button next to your title on the products page you will see the Variant tab button. With this button you can add either color or size. With this option you have to have just one general picture of the item in the listing. This would be good with one beanie hat.
If you make the beanie in baby, child, and adult sizes and can make them in green, blue or red, you can use this feature for the customer to specify what they want so they do not have to do a separate email. There is a drop down menu that becomes available in the listing when you set this up. But make sure to specify in the description that they will recieve 1 hat in the size and color they order, that will look similar to the hat pictured. They need to know, if they are ordering a custom order, it may not look exactly like the picture. It will look "similar or approximately" like the picture.

Good luck!
MamasLilGoodies

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: What about now? Reply with quote

I did the changes. How does it look now? I used the variants tab on most of my item posts.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out a few things, one of which was the one crocheted snowflake which I estimate might be an ounce or two. The shipping on it is $10! I assume you live in the USA. I would teach myself how to crochet to make one myself and avoid paying that amount for something that can go by first-class postage. I would suggest you get better acquainted with how much postage is and pay attention to postal increases that will have posts about them here on the forum. I would also suggest that your time is valuable and you need to charge for it along with your supplies. I never sold anything (I am retired now) that wouldn't profit me after all fees and costs, a king-sized candy bar. So if you want to make 'take home' $5, you need to make items in sets or whatever will get you over a threshold to make this worth your doing. I know some folks say they do this because they love doing it, but you still have the cost of yarn, fabric, thread, etc. plus your time, plus packaging supplies, etc., etc. Just because you are doing this in your dad's living room while talking to him or watching TV, doesn't mean you aren't conducting a business.

As to titles, I would suggest that the words, Handmade, made to order, custom be on the tail end of the titles (and you don't need the commas as they just take up character space and no English teacher will rap your knuckles for omitting them). That way your item description will come out ahead such as:

"10 Small Crocheted White Gold Christmas Tree Ornaments Handmade Custom Color Orders Available" This is 93 characters including the spaces so it will fit into the allowed 100 characters for titles.

If I was doing this, I would make a listing for each type of goodie that you make so you can get photos of it, weigh it, and control what supplies you will be using. Such as for the potholders that you have for sale. I wouldn't have any desire for some batman potholders, but gingham or other fabrics that most women would enjoy in their kitchen should work. Or make an apron with matching potholders. Taking in unlimited types of customs orders would mean that you need a bunch of different yarns, fabrics, etc. And many might need a trip to the store to get supplies you don't have for a custom order. That is time that needs to be accounted for as well.

Limit the number of custom orders to 5-6 types of things. For example 5-6 different colored votive cups with a listing for each. But if you make your listings as if you already have each of the things that you have up for sale (which I suggested above) that gives you 5-6 more listings. I never used the variants but I tried to always have as many listings as possible so that the search engines give you better visibility. I think I saw that you have 29 items listed. To have 5-6 of each listing in different colors, you would immediately end up with almost 200 listings. On your About Me page, you can tell your buyers that you are happy to make custom orders and to use the Ask The Seller a Question to let them tell you what they want and make sure for custom orders you are VERY clear on the color.

Also, I would like to mention that you should probably skip the licensed characters as I doubt that you have permission to make Snoopy dolls or Batman ones. Using licensed characters can get eCrater into trouble along with yourself as well as all the sellers here if the long arm of the law comes to crack down on you. eCrater can suspend sellers that are selling things that they have no permission to do so. You have many other things that you can make, don't take chances.

I hope this is helpful to you. Sorry if I come down sounding too hard. I sold here from 2008 until July of last year when I finally quit, right before my internet went whacky on me. But I sold sewing patterns and craft items and made money. Currently, I am working on learning other crafts than just sewing, embroidery, etc. I like being retired but I am busy! And tired. Anyhow welcome aboard. Glad to answer any questions if I can. The other folks had some excellent advice as well.
viewfinders

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you are understanding the advice we have been giving you.
Take this listing. https://mamaslilgoodies.ecrater.com/p/41302384/handmade-custom-made-to-order-specially#

You have photos of 3 different pillowcases of different sizes. If these are designs you intend to make up, each should have a different listing. Your title only says they are custom made pillowcases.

When you take photos, don't have anything in the photo except the item you are featuring. No bottles of glue or pieces of fabric. Just the item you wish to sell. If you are selling pillowcases, state the measurements. No one will take a chance on a listing so vague.

My advice is to make some items that are ready to sell, write precise descriptions, weigh them packaged so you can enter accurate shipping and then store the items in your bedroom. You don't have to keep the items in the packaging once you know what it costs to ship. If you can't afford tubs, use shoe boxes. None of your items take up a lot of space so you can easily keep it under your bed.

(I am MaggietheCat in case you think I am new to your post. I have several stores here.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: