eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Questions about Google Checkout - Set up - emails, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Questions about Google Checkout - Set up - emails, etc. Reply with quote

Hello! I am new, and trying to refine my set up in Google Checkout.

I have an antique shop here in our small town in Kansas. My business name for the antique shop is different than the one I am using for my ecrater online store. I discuss my antique shop in my "about" and "contact" pages on my ecrater store.

First question - on Google Checkout under "Public Business Information" it asks for business name and address. Is this where I should put the name and address that I want a payment to come to in the event the buyer pays with a money order, cashier's check, or personal check? Or, will I be allowed to email the buyer after the purchase to give them the shipping address and name. I think I read that Google checkout discourages personal email contact after the sale?

I just changed this box in Google Checkout to my antique shop name and address, and put in my antique shop phone number. This may be confusing to the buyer, since the names are different? Is this what you all do?

I first had vintagemoonbeams as the business name, which is my new ecrater store name. But I do not want checks, money orders, etc. to come to the vintagemoonbeams name.

Second question - on Google Checkout - "Credit Card Statement Name" - is that just for informational purposes on their credit card, or should this be my antique shop name, or my first and last name? I used vintagemoonbeams, which is cut off at the end because of 14 character limit.

Third question - I had my first sale yesterday - Hooray! - Buyer paid instantly through Google Checkout. I charged the item and marked it shipped (took it to the post office - I do same day shipping when possible). I sent an email to the buyer thanking her for the purchase and telling her the item was shipped and details of shipping method, tracking number, etc. I sent this to the email address provided by Google Checkout , which appears to be a Google Checkout generated email name? I read that others maybe did not receive a response on this type of email address? So does the buyer really get emails through the Google checkout email system? If not, how do we provide any customer support follow-up. This kind of worries me, because I think personal treatment is critical for a good customer experience. What does everyone think? (Guess this was more than one question!).

Fourth question - I have a return policy and a shipping policy on my "terms" page on the store site. It appears that this information is "optional" on the Google Checkout page, however, I think I read it might be required to have a refund policy to meet Google Checkout seller protection terms? Do you all put your refund and shipping policy on the Google Checkout page, or just on your store "terms" page? I will need to remember to update both places if I make any changes. I also put this information on each item listed page, after receiving some good advice from a helpful ecrater seller.

Sorry if any of these are silly questions - I am new to a store format (but love it so far!).

Thanks for your help!

Have a wonderful weekend!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: One more question. Reply with quote

Hello! I have another question. Is there a way to get into your google checkout account directly while logged into ecrater? It seems like I have to go out and log into www.googlecheckout.com outside of ecrater to get into the account. I think I read some discussions about it being a little difficult to figure out google checkout. Guess I would be a prime example of that, with all these questions!

Thanks again!
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 --- my Google Checkout name is not the same as my store. I have 9 different stores of which 5 of them share the same google checkout account.
Folks don't seem to even notice. I do this mainly because I have one "parent company" that all these stores operate under as far as resale tax license and Uncle Sam are considered.

Quote:
I first had vintagemoonbeams as the business name, which is my new ecrater store name. But I do not want checks, money orders, etc. to come to the vintagemoonbeams name.

In the payment section you can put exactly what you want the paymetns made out to.

#2 -- "Credit Card Statement Name" - this is the name that will appear on their credit card statement when they get the bill. Which name you put there is up to you.

#3 -- Google Checkout believes that once the buyer decides to use their system to pay the customer belongs to them NOT to you. So they give the buyer the option to not show you their real email address. To avoid follow up and spam email - any email they did not request is spam, including follow up emails from you.
They receive a notice from google checkout when you click on the shipped button and mark it shipped that tells them whatever you put in that box.
You sending another email saying the same thing is spamming.
If the buyer opt not to show you their true email addy google checkout issues them a googlecheckout email addy. When you send something to that email addy it sits there until the buyer checks that account - some do, some never do.

#4 - If you think that updating 2 places if you make a change is a bad thing - what you going to do when you have to update every listing you wrote because you state you put it in on the listings?
I think I just included a link to my terms page BUT I'm not sure since I have 5 stores going to one google account each with different return policies. So I might have just left it blank.

Quote:
Is there a way to get into your google checkout account directly while logged into ecrater?

I think you can get there from the order section BUT personally I perfer to open a new window and go there and have both google checkout and ecrater.com open at the same time so I can see everything at once.

That's my 2
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information! I guess my biggest concern is number 3 - not being able to contact the buyer. If there is - heaven forbid! - a problem with the order, we have no way to contact the buyer? I have sold a bunch of items on Ebay by auction, and one problem I had over the years was the buyer putting incorrect address in their information. A few times I had to call the buyer, but that contact information is available to the seller on Ebay. I wonder what you do about this through Google checkout?

Since I do not know exactly what Google Checkout says to the buyer after the sale, I believe a follow-up "Thank you" email is critical. Guess I don't believe that any court of law would call that "spamming"? I think the buyer would expect this, and maybe even not be happy with the buying experience if they don't hear from the seller? Just my opinion.

Regarding number 4, guess I will get to be an expert in "copy and paste" when I need to change the listings. Since I notice that my terms page does not come up on the "Terms" link at the bottom if you are shopping directly through the Ecrater site, I think I need my shipping and payment terms on the listing page. Otherwise, I am not sure a buyer will find that information. Hopefully, I will not need to make too many changes.

At this point, my first Google Checkout sale has come through. I shipped the item, and am waiting for the charge to process into my bank in the next couple of days. By the way, I guess it is a "leap of faith" that the money is coming, since I shipped the item before the money showed up at the bank. Unlike PayPal, where the funds are instantly in my PayPal account and instantly available for my transfer to my bank account. Do you wait to ship for the Google Funds to clear your account?

Thanks again!

Have a great Sunday!
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If there is - heaven forbid! - a problem with the order, we have no way to contact the buyer?

Not true. You have a point of contact - the google checkout email addy.

Regarding #4 -- why not include the URL to YOUR terms page and whatever else. Then you won't need to update all the listings.

Quote:
Unlike PayPal, where the funds are instantly in my PayPal account and instantly available for my transfer to my bank account. Do you wait to ship for the Google Funds to clear your account?

Once charged the funds are instantly in your google checkout account and automatically set up to transfer to your bank - unlike PP where you have to go and do it manually.
My GC money gets to my bank just as fast as my PP money does. Only difference is that on PP I have instant access using the debit card and on Google you don't.
According to GC terms you need to ship at the time of the charge so waiting to GC money gets to your bank (not the same as a cleared payment) is against the terms of use.
Cleared payment is considered a cleared payment at the time the charge is processed and approved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: