eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Do you give your dogs real bones? Not Safe!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yellowrose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Do you give your dogs real bones? Not Safe!!! Reply with quote

Hi! Just wondering if any of you give your dog(s) real bones to chew on? I gave some to my dog the other day. A dear friend warned me they were not good for dogs and could actually hurt them. I called the vet the next day and they said "No, do not give your dog real bones".

I had always that it was chicken bones you should not give dogs.

Last edited by yellowrose on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thing with chicken bones is that they splinter but larger bones just break, I guess.

But didn't the vet say why you shouldn't give dogs real bones?
yellowrose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Do you give your dogs real bones? Are they safe? Reply with quote

Yes, so no more real bones for my dog. The thing is she doesn't like her other toys.
thefrugalshopperstreasuretrove

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Yes, we do. Reply with quote

HI.

We have a 2 1/2 yr old Collie mix dog, he is great.

I have a friend that breeds chocolate labs and Nova Scotia Duck Troller dogs, really nice dogs.

She feeds all of her dogs the B.A.R.F. (Bones And Raw Food) diet. That consists of bones and well...raw food. It is easily found on the internet. Recipes, etc.

We fed our dog this diet for quite a while, until we moved and things were complicated...mmm... anyhow...the diet provides a great nutrious balanced diet, the food is easy to prepare and the bones are raw. Soup bones, that is what we give him. They are the big ones, beef. He loves them frozen, (he likes ice cubes and snow...so no wonder!) and he chews on that and sucks the meat and marrow right from the the whole bone...still amazes me how he can get into the middle of this huge bone without a knife, fork or spoon! LOL!!

He loves them... we love the fact that he doesn't chew on shoes, etc. anymore...and that he is getting something he loves anyhow.

I think that a lot of people treat their dogs like they aren't animals. In the wild they would have no body cooking their meals for them, and raw bones would be the norm. Also...the meat that is raw is very fresh, and it doesn't cause 'blood lust' in the dog...a need for more blood and desire to attack people, and other animals. That simply isn't true.

Check out some websites:
http://www.barfworld.com/
http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm
http://www.auntjeni.com/barf.htm

There are more sites...I just clicked google and had a quick peek around.

This is the link to my friends' that breed dogs:
http://www.ardbraekennels.com/index.html

Sure hope this helps.

Tracy
noadi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of this depends on the breed. Dogs like mine which are working breeds (or in the case of my older dog a mix of working breeds) they're dietary needs are far more like dogs have needed for thousands of years. So raw meat, large bones (never small bones like poultry for any dog), and cooked meat are perfect for them (and even some veggies, but not too much).

Kibble and canned dog food are a modern invention, they are not the natural food of dogs. Now don't get me wrong, I have loads of respect for vets and the care they give my pets but often they get paid for promoting a certain brand of pet food so always take that into consideration.

Toy breeds and the like are a different matter, they're breeding is so extreme that they often have problems with digestion, teeth, etc. that require special consideration for their diets.
desertgraceboutiqueplus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since the dog food scare has come out, I have been cooking my dog's food, my dogs have never been healthier and happier. Their coats are so shiny, no bad breath...etc.
I usually make the same food we eat but portion the dogs out before I season it.
I use 2/3 meat, 1/3 grain, 1/3 veggie mix. My dogs LOVE sweet potatoes!
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The breeder DH bought his first dog from used to make a beef stew for her dogs - she always said it was fine to feed them 'people food' as long as they got their veggies too.

The vet before this one (changed because we moved) was also a friend. We discussed our habit of giving the dogs table scraps. He said the same thing the breeder did - just be sure it's a well balanced meal and they get something to chew on to keep their teeth healthy.
blackbirdfabricsplus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my dog, I use to give him bones mostly the big marrow bones. Till one day I was walking him and heard this little yelp, I didn't think much about it, then I heard it again! It was my dog literally yelping while trying to have a bowel movement.

I rushed him to the vet where they discovered he was full of bone pieces! I couldn't believe my eyes. The vet disimpacted the dog while I was there and showed me what bones do to a dogs bowels...I've never given him another bone since, that was enough for me to decide right then and there.

Blackbirdfabricsplus
syringa-hobbycraft

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I give my dogs bones, we haven't had problems. I have a friend who's dog can't handle bones.
Our cats and dogs also get a semi-raw diet. They didn't evolve eating meat flavored cereal.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Do you give your dogs real bones? Are they safe? Reply with quote

yellowrose wrote:
Yes, so no more real bones for my dog.

What did your vet say is the problem with giving your dog real bones? I'm genuinely curious as I've never asked mine about it.
yellowrose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Do you give your dogs real bones? Not Safe!!! Reply with quote

My vet seemed to agree with my friend. They don't digest them very well and have problems with their bowel movements and like blackbirdfabricsplus said. Probably also they could get lodged in their throat as well as their little tummys.

I would like to try to find something my dog could chew on that would be safe for her. I think I have tried everything and the only thing she really liked were the real dog bones. Rubber, rawhide, really tough things she doesn't care for. I have also heard rawhide was not good for them to chew on. I think the bones I gave her had some meat on them.

When I gave her the real bones, I put her in her crate. I gave her the biggest one. She stayed there all night. Usually she wants out. I kept hearing her knawing all night long. The next morning I didn't see it. I went to work and told everyone she ate it all night long and finished it. Then later I raised up my pillow and there was the big bone. Very Happy She had hidden it so I could not see it. I just threw it away.

If anyone knows what dogs like to chew on that is safe, please let me know. She is a dachshund mix.

Thanks so much for everyone's response and help!
yellowrose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Do you give your dogs real bones? Not Safe!!! Reply with quote

Just wanted to add that my dog had started on that large bone but had not finished it. Laughing The next day, I gave her a small, thick, round bone with a hole in the center. That is when I told my friend that I email a lot. She said it irritated her dogs stomach and they had sores all over it and the dogs will also get severe diarrhea from the bones.
vintagedreams

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Dog Bones Reply with quote

We have between all the members of our family 5 Border Collies, a cokapoo and a maltese. Years ago we had to learn the hard way and several very expensive surgeries that you don't ever give a dog any bones from the butcher. It doesn't matter whether it's a small dog or large dog the bones no matter what kind of meat are too soft for them to digest properly. Also there are those that mention that fact that their dogs love the meat on left on the bones. That's a source of lots of bacteria for them to get sick on. Because they are just bones the butcher doesn't take the sanitary precautions that they take on human food so you are asking for your dog to get sick. These bones are still fresh and haven't had the luxury of time for them to harden so it doesn't matter how thick those bones are they are deadly to your pet. Please always check with your vet before giving them something like that. You also have to be very careful of the bones you get in Pet stores. Again if the bones are too soft they can irritate the stomach lining of your dog. Our son warned us although his dogs needed expensive surgery to repair their stomachs I thought I knew more so continued to give our dogs the bones because oh boy did they love them. Well Mom and Dad should have listened because both dogs got very ill and had to have surgery to get out all the irritating pieces of bones that were cutting their stomachs to pieces and then to top it off because there was contaminated meat still on the bones they both ended up with deadly food poisoning on top of it. We had to learn the hard way in our family and at a very expensive cost and nearly lost our beloved pets so please always check with your vet. These animal groups that promote this and say it's ok don't have the dogs in their possession long enough to know the long term effects that the bones can have on the dogs tummys so please just listen to your vet and ONLY your vet. Ask the vet what is best. We would have died if we lost our babies and we nearly did. Just think of how you would feel if you lost the pet you love so dearly because you weren't careful? Just the guilt our family feels for putting are darlings through so much taught us to never give them bones again. The only bones the vet has recommended are the very thick, extremely hard white bones that you can find at the pet store. Just make sure the bone is hard as a rock!
flipper-cb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a beagle when I was growing up that the next door neighbor would give bones to. She was elderly and thought she was being nice to him.

Each time she gave him bones he ended up at the vets. The vet said he was not chewing them up well enough and it was packing his bowels. He would have to knock him out and clean him out.

Took us forever and several trips to the vets before we convinced the neighbor that she was doing more harm than being nice to him.

I quit giving dogs rawhide. I gave a rawhide bone to my sister's large Weimaraner when I was keeping it and that poor dog threw up and had the runs for 2 days straight - and it wasn't pretty on the floor either. Since then I have never given another dog a rawhide. Plus I've since then read that they aren't good for them.

I also had a Shiz tzu years ago when the kids were small and I fed him table scraps. He ate just what the kids ate. Great garbage disposal..lol. It never seemed to hurt him. I had to put him down at 17 yrs due to his arthritis, but other than that, the dog never needed a trip to the vet and the food sure didn't hurt him. His favorites were spaghetti and pizza. An Chinese Italian dog.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our dog loves rawhides, bones (ones bought at a pet supply store), hooves, Greenies -- well, he loves pretty much anything, actually.

No problems so far but he's an 80 lb. Black Lab so maybe that makes a difference. I'll definitely have to ask about that the next time we're at the vet.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: